Hey Everyone from Florida's West Coast - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
Hey Everyone from Florida's West Coast

I'm excited to find this group. People seem friendly and helpful. I have a 1998 GL1500 SE. I let it sit too long after a knee replacement I had and now I'm paying for it.It wold only run on full choke. I took off carbs and cleaned jets and replaced o-rings that were eaten up. I started it up ran like a million bucks. Idled and all. I noticed the petcock was leaking so I ordered a kit and rebuilt it also changed fuel filter. While I was waiting for rebuild kit I put the bike back together(plastic parts taken off to get to carbs). After rebuilding petcock and replacing fuel filter I tried to start it. I now have no power going to fuel pump. I can jump 12v to B terminal and it will run and fill filter. What happened? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles

Welcome aboard Cap'n. I'm going to move this thread to the Tech forum, where it will get more attention.

Now, if you would please, fill in your profile with your city, state and bike information.

Thank you.
Captntom likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:02 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captntom View Post
I'm excited to find this group. People seem friendly and helpful. I have a 1998 GL1500 SE. I let it sit too long after a knee replacement I had and now I'm paying for it.It wold only run on full choke. I took off carbs and cleaned jets and replaced o-rings that were eaten up. I started it up ran like a million bucks. Idled and all. I noticed the petcock was leaking so I ordered a kit and rebuilt it also changed fuel filter. While I was waiting for rebuild kit I put the bike back together(plastic parts taken off to get to carbs). After rebuilding petcock and replacing fuel filter I tried to start it. I now have no power going to fuel pump. I can jump 12v to B terminal and it will run and fill filter. What happened? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Several things could cause no power to the fuel pump.

Note; I hate to ask but is the Kill switch in the ON/RUN position....???

The ECM powers the fuel pump. Here is how the ECM gets power:

1. The # 11 ignition/cruise "15-amp" fuse.

2. The # 6 ignition/cruise relay.

3. The Kill switch.

Output power from the Kill switch goes to the ECM.

Testing:

1. Push the cruise switch INWARD to turn on the cruise control. Does the cruise ON light in the dash illuminate. If so, the Kill switch is good.

2. If no light, turn the Kill switch OFF and ON a couple of times.

3. If no light, check the # 11 ignition/cruise "15-amp" fuse.

4. If good, open the right handlebar switch cluster and bend the top half of the cluster backwards to expose the Kill switch connections.

5. Check if the two wires are secured to the Kill switch (screws are tight).

6. Check the black/white (output wire) for power.

7. If no power, check the black/light green (input wire) for power.

8. If power, the Kill switch is faulty/bad.

9. If no power, check the # 6 ignition/cruise relay.

There could also be a problem at the Red "9-pin" connector behind the right lower fairing panel (behind the right fairing marker light).

Output from the relay passes through this connector enroute to the Kill switch.

BTW.....Does the starter run when you press the starter switch.....?? If so, the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) that grounds the relay is good.

Last stop would be the ECM.

Let us know what you find. Hopefully you will find something here....!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow. Great information.
I will start checking these out. Starter works and kill switch works. Thanks so much for your reply and time.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I checked everything except red 9 pin connector (too much plastic to take off this evening). I had power to kill switch so do I still need to check 9 pin connector? If the next stop is the ECM what do I do with it, replace?
Where is it located? Can I bypass it with a relay or something to fuel pump?
Thanks again.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Wow. Great information.
I will start checking these out. Starter works and kill switch works. Thanks so much for your reply and time.
Then the # 11 ignition fuse, # 6 ignition relay and the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) are all good.

Have you checked the connections at the fuel pump. Clean and tight connections....??

At the White "4-pin" connector at the fuel pump:

1. Check for power on the black/blue wire (while pressing the starter switch). Should have power.

2. Check for power on the light blue wire (while pressing the starter switch). Should have power.

This will verify output power (or not) from the ECM.

It will also verify if the fuel pump filter is good (or not). This filter is on the SE for the CB and power goes through this filter enroute to the fuel pump.

Note: You could also jumper from the black/blue wire to the light blue wire (this would bypass the fuel pump filter).

If all the above is good, then:

Maybe a broken wire or bad splice between the Kill switch and the ECM. (not too likely)

Maybe a problem with the ECM output to the fuel filter. (I have know of a couple cases like this)

Maybe a broken wire between the ECM and the fuel pump. (not too likely)

Note: With power jumpered to the fuel pump, will the engine start and run ok...??
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Question about #8
I had power( with key on ) on both wires screwed down to kill switch when in run position. In off position power to one wire only.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
I checked everything except red 9 pin connector (too much plastic to take off this evening). I had power to kill switch so do I still need to check 9 pin connector? If the next stop is the ECM what do I do with it, replace?
Where is it located? Can I bypass it with a relay or something to fuel pump?
Thanks again.
First and foremost do you understand how the fuel pump is triggered? When you push the start button the fuel pump will only run for a few seconds then shut off. With the gas cap removed you should hear the pump run for a few seconds after each time you spin the engine over with the starter. Does it do that? Will the engine start and run normal when you use the jumper method?
BadMonk's1200 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I will check 4 pin connector tomorrow. When I jumped 12v to B terminal and the fuel pump ran and filled fuel filter the engine never fired. I will try putting gas in carb tomorrow and see if it fires.
Thanks
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I get no power to B terminal when starter is engaged. Engine didn't fire with jumper.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page