I'm excited to find this group. People seem friendly and helpful. I have a 1998 GL1500 SE. I let it sit too long after a knee replacement I had and now I'm paying for it.It wold only run on full choke. I took off carbs and cleaned jets and replaced o-rings that were eaten up. I started it up ran like a million bucks. Idled and all. I noticed the petcock was leaking so I ordered a kit and rebuilt it also changed fuel filter. While I was waiting for rebuild kit I put the bike back together(plastic parts taken off to get to carbs). After rebuilding petcock and replacing fuel filter I tried to start it. I now have no power going to fuel pump. I can jump 12v to B terminal and it will run and fill filter. What happened? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Several things could cause no power to the fuel pump.
; I hate to ask but is the Kill switch in the ON/RUN position....???
The ECM powers the fuel pump. Here is how the ECM gets power:
1. The # 11 ignition/cruise "15-amp" fuse.
2. The # 6 ignition/cruise relay.
3. The Kill switch.
Output power from the Kill switch goes to the ECM.
1. Push the cruise switch INWARD to turn on the cruise control. Does the cruise ON light in the dash illuminate. If so, the Kill switch is good.
2. If no light, turn the Kill switch OFF and ON a couple of times.
3. If no light, check the # 11 ignition/cruise "15-amp" fuse.
4. If good, open the right handlebar switch cluster and bend the top half of the cluster backwards to expose the Kill switch connections.
5. Check if the two wires are secured to the Kill switch (screws are tight).
6. Check the black/white (output wire) for power.
7. If no power, check the black/light green (input wire) for power.
8. If power, the Kill switch is faulty/bad.
9. If no power, check the # 6 ignition/cruise relay.
There could also be a problem at the Red "9-pin" connector behind the right lower fairing panel (behind the right fairing marker light).
Output from the relay passes through this connector enroute to the Kill switch.
.....Does the starter run when you press the starter switch.....?? If so, the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) that grounds the relay is good.
Last stop would be the ECM.
Let us know what you find. Hopefully you will find something here....!!