Wheel weights oddities - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
Wheel weights oddities

I got new tires on my 2013 GL-1800 in February and the guy who mounted and balanced them put a clip-on weight on the front wheel but the flat stick-on variety on the rear wheel. All was well and I didn't even notice the difference at the time. A couple of weeks ago, I found two 1/4 ounce weights on my garage floor. I didn't worry about it because I hadn't noticed any out-of-balance feeling on the bike. Yesterday I found a strip of eight 1/4 ounce weights in about the same place on my garage floor. After investigating, I found the sticky spots on the rear rim where both the set of 8 and the set of 2 weights had been. After examining the rim, I see that the problem was that the tire tech put the flat stick-on weights on the concave area of the rim. It is odd to me that I found them on the floor instead of slinging them off somewhere on the road, but maybe it's a hot-cold thing where they got hot on the road and cooled off in my garage. Anyway, here's some questions:

1. I cannot tell that the wheel is out of balance - I've ridden on the highway at 65+ MPH and it feels like the expected good old Gold Wing smooth ride all of the way from 0 to 65. Shouldn't I feel something with 2-1/2 ounces of weights removed?

2. I can take the bike back to the guy and ask him to re-attach the weights or put new weights on (or I can probably reattach them myself without balancing the wheel since I can see where the old weights were placed.) If he does it, should I tell him to reposition them so that they are not in the concave area of the rim, or should they be okay there assuming the right adhesive is used? If I do it myself, should I replace with new weights or try to re-glue the old weights?

Another option I'm seriously considering is forgetting about the weights and going with balance beads. I did that with my CB-750 and they seem to be working okay.
limpy45 likes this.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)
1975 CB-400F (long gone but fondly remembered)
1970ish Kawasaki 90 (just plain long gone)
1965 Cushman Super Eagle (long gone and thankfully forgotten)
1957 Sears MoPed (long gone, but some good 'first bike' memories)

K 4 D I T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88goldwing View Post
I got new tires on my 2013 GL-1800 in February and the guy who mounted and balanced them put a clip-on weight on the front wheel but the flat stick-on variety on the rear wheel. All was well and I didn't even notice the difference at the time. A couple of weeks ago, I found two 1/4 ounce weights on my garage floor. I didn't worry about it because I hadn't noticed any out-of-balance feeling on the bike. Yesterday I found a strip of eight 1/4 ounce weights in about the same place on my garage floor. After investigating, I found the sticky spots on the rear rim where both the set of 8 and the set of 2 weights had been. After examining the rim, I see that the problem was that the tire tech put the flat stick-on weights on the concave area of the rim. It is odd to me that I found them on the floor instead of slinging them off somewhere on the road, but maybe it's a hot-cold thing where they got hot on the road and cooled off in my garage. Anyway, here's some questions:

1. I cannot tell that the wheel is out of balance - I've ridden on the highway at 65+ MPH and it feels like the expected good old Gold Wing smooth ride all of the way from 0 to 65. Shouldn't I feel something with 2-1/2 ounces of weights removed?

2. I can take the bike back to the guy and ask him to re-attach the weights or put new weights on (or I can probably reattach them myself without balancing the wheel since I can see where the old weights were placed.) If he does it, should I tell him to reposition them so that they are not in the concave area of the rim, or should they be okay there assuming the right adhesive is used? If I do it myself, should I replace with new weights or try to re-glue the old weights?

Another option I'm seriously considering is forgetting about the weights and going with balance beads. I did that with my CB-750 and they seem to be working okay.

Depending on the locations of the weights, you may not be missing the full 2 1/2 ounces of weights.

BTW...I have used balancing beads for several sets of tires....!
limpy45 likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Depending on the locations of the weights, you may not be missing the full 2 1/2 ounces of weights.

BTW...I have used balancing beads for several sets of tires....!
Weights are all together.

Here's a balancing beads question: The charts I have seen indicate 2 oz. of beads in each of the front and back tires for the GL-1800. Since the rear had 2-1/2 ounces of weights, I'm wondering if I need to go higher than 2 oz. of beads in the rear. Anybody have any ideas?

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk

K 4 D I T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Not enough beads is NOT good, , , more (maybe an ounce above) than what the "chart" says is BETTER, IMHO.

I'm comfortable with 2oz in front and 3 oz in the rear. Works for me

OOPS, , ,I mis-spoke and mis-remembered, , , I put 3 oz. in each tire. Front has Dyna-beads, , and Rear has Counter-act beads.
DBohrer likes this.

Last edited by BLUTHUNDR31; 08-21-2019 at 12:48 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
strip the weights,
install balancing beads, and forget about it.

my favorite has been Dyna Beeds
DBohrer and limpy45 like this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88goldwing View Post
Weights are all together.

Here's a balancing beads question: The charts I have seen indicate 2 oz. of beads in each of the front and back tires for the GL-1800. Since the rear had 2-1/2 ounces of weights, I'm wondering if I need to go higher than 2 oz. of beads in the rear. Anybody have any ideas?
I was referring to the location of the weights on the circumference of the wheel. Were there some counterbalancing....dunno....??

Like too much weight on one side, then add weight on the other side...to balance it out. That would be using unnecessary weights.

But I am not a balancing expert....!
CrystalPistol and limpy45 like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
3 ounces per GL tire is gooder, any excess will balance it'self, and you can use hard plastic Airsoft BBs much cheaper, but they will not go in through valve stem, you'll need to pop a bead loose to get them in. I use them, excellent, and easy to vac out into small shop vac using small 3/8 or 1/2"tube after popping a bead loose at tire change time then rinse & re-use.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM

Year: 2000SE
Model: It is a WING, man.
I put 6 oz. in the rear tire, current mileage, 20,000.
Overkill? Maybe but so far I notice nothing.

WOW! someone said, why so much? Tire that unbalanced? Nope, it is not, tire is an Austone. I went with the recommended 4 oz. but just before closing it up, I tossed in 2 more.

I will say, with the roads being SO POOR this year once in a while I will momentarily feel an unbalance tire but it nearly immediately smooths out.

AND I LIKE THAT!

HUMM-HUMmm-Hummm-hummmm-mmmmmmmmmm

WHAT A RIDE!
Quiet, powerful, comfortable and almost maintenance free.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

I emailed Counteract (balancing beads) support and explained that my rear tire was balanced with 2-1/2 oz. of external weights, but the Counteract chart recommends 2 oz. of balancing beads. He said in my case I should go with 3 oz. in the rear instead of the recommended 2 oz., so I did so. I put the recommended 2 oz. in the front tire. I just went for a test ride and everything is as smooth as glass!

I know the other popular balancing beads are Dyna Beads. They are about the same price, but the Counteract kit comes with filtered valve cores which are supposed to prevent the beads from plugging up the valve. The listings I found for Dyna Beads indicate that filtered valve cores are recommended, but are not supplied.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk

K 4 D I T
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
more beads than required, just maintains the same smooth balanced ride.
that stuff just moves around keeping the tire in perfect balance.

Not enough?
it won't balance.
BLUTHUNDR31 likes this.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page