Can I use One Vacuum Gauge to sync my carbs? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Standard
Garage
Can I use One Vacuum Gauge to sync my carbs?

Hello gentleman and thank you for your time,

I have a GL1200 and just rebuilt my carbs, I did do a bench sync following a youtube video but I would like to do a proper on bike sync as well, but since I live in Kuwait it is hard for me to shop online for the sync tools, I have two questions:

1- Attached is a vacuum gauge which I found in the flea market, it is just that one and an air hose attached to it, what is this gauge? is this a vacuum gauge? can I use this to get any reading from my carbs?

2- Is it possible to sync my carbs using just this ONE gauge? sort of like take an exact reading from one carb and attach the gauge to another carb and so on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b41ba73d-0251-4b33-9d48-31a6adc751e1.jpg (104.5 KB, 11 views)

1984 GL1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
It is possible but will be tedious to do it with one gauge. Someone on here did it by making a manifold with 4 aquarium valves. That gauge, unless you have it attached to a vacuum source, is seriously out of calibration. The needle should be resting at 0.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
I wouldn't want to try to sync a 4 cylinder wing with a single gauge, at minimum you will want another. Especially since adjusting sync on one carb will affect the vacuum reading on the carb you are syncing it to (plus all others).

On the 1100's carb #3 is the base carb, all others sync to it. I suspect the 1200 has the same sync order.

First thing you'd want to do is get a reading on #3 and #1 carbs then swap the two gauges to compare readings (this checks the gauges themselves). On the 1100 you would sync #1 to #3, then #4 to #3, then #2 to #4, then re-check #4 to #3 and #1 to #3 settings. "Wash-rinse-repeat" if the #4 to #3 and #1 to #3 settings have changed, it might take a couple rounds to get them all lined up. Follow the sync sequence for the 1200 though, it may be similar but different.

With a single gauge that would be an awful lot of hose swapping, and you will still need at least two (and better to get 4) vacuum port nipples, and something to cap or otherwise plug a nipple that doesn't have a gauge connected.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
You can build a very simple manometer with just some clear vinyl tube and some fluid. Mercury works best in my opinion but heavy oil will work also. I use about 10 feet of tube for each manometer. It is cheap but the length doesn't matter as long as the tube is long enough. Put the liquid in both the tubes. Thow the tubes over a ladder or back of a chair. You need this so the engine can't suck the liquid in. Do this for both side. (left and right) Now connect one end of each tube to the carburetors. So on the right side one end to the front carb and the other end to the rear carb.Now go to the other side and do the same. The tube must hang in a way that it forms a "U" in the back of the ladders. Tape or fasten as needed to get the "U" shaped. While you are back there take a Sharpie and mark the height of the fluid at rest. Same for the other side. Now start the bike and run at desired RPM. Is the fluid still at the same Sharpie lines as when the bike was not running? If so you are done. If not adjust until the fluid returns to the original place. Right at the Sharpie lines. Now do the other side. Then set one tube aside and using the other put one end on either carb right and either carb left and adjust. All done.
Heavier liquids behave better. Light oils like ATF tend to splash around asome and can be difficult to make sense of. Mercury works slick. Gear oil is good. If you look at the attached image it will give you an idea. I like a ladder better as it is higher than the board and you really don't have to fasten it that firmly. Just a tape job works as well. You can see he has the engine running and that it needs a little tweaking. The oil should be level on both "U"s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zman.jpg (81.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg zneeds.jpg (85.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ZDone.jpg (85.0 KB, 14 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
I wouldn't want to try to sync a 4 cylinder wing with a single gauge, at minimum you will want another. Especially since adjusting sync on one carb will affect the vacuum reading on the carb you are syncing it to (plus all others).

On the 1100's carb #3 is the base carb, all others sync to it. I suspect the 1200 has the same sync order.

First thing you'd want to do is get a reading on #3 and #1 carbs then swap the two gauges to compare readings (this checks the gauges themselves). On the 1100 you would sync #1 to #3, then #4 to #3, then #2 to #4, then re-check #4 to #3 and #1 to #3 settings. "Wash-rinse-repeat" if the #4 to #3 and #1 to #3 settings have changed, it might take a couple rounds to get them all lined up. Follow the sync sequence for the 1200 though, it may be similar but different.

With a single gauge that would be an awful lot of hose swapping, and you will still need at least two (and better to get 4) vacuum port nipples, and something to cap or otherwise plug a nipple that doesn't have a gauge connected.
The base carb on 1200s is #4.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
You can build a very simple manometer with just some clear vinyl tube and some fluid. Mercury works best in my opinion but heavy oil will work also. I use about 10 feet of tube for each manometer. It is cheap but the length doesn't matter as long as the tube is long enough. Put the liquid in both the tubes. Thow the tubes over a ladder or back of a chair. You need this so the engine can't suck the liquid in. Do this for both side. (left and right) Now connect one end of each tube to the carburetors. So on the right side one end to the front carb and the other end to the rear carb.Now go to the other side and do the same. The tube must hang in a way that it forms a "U" in the back of the ladders. Tape or fasten as needed to get the "U" shaped. While you are back there take a Sharpie and mark the height of the fluid at rest. Same for the other side. Now start the bike and run at desired RPM. Is the fluid still at the same Sharpie lines as when the bike was not running? If so you are done. If not adjust until the fluid returns to the original place. Right at the Sharpie lines. Now do the other side. Then set one tube aside and using the other put one end on either carb right and either carb left and adjust. All done.
Heavier liquids behave better. Light oils like ATF tend to splash around asome and can be difficult to make sense of. Mercury works slick. Gear oil is good. If you look at the attached image it will give you an idea. I like a ladder better as it is higher than the board and you really don't have to fasten it that firmly. Just a tape job works as well. You can see he has the engine running and that it needs a little tweaking. The oil should be level on both "U"s
It would seem that some people are just a titch anal about vacuum balancing carburetors.

Honda says that 1.6"Hg difference is within spec. which translates to 26.5" of oil.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
huh?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:18 PM

OOpps

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
It would seem that some people are just a titch anal about vacuum balancing carburetors.

Honda says that 1.6"Hg difference is within spec. which translates to 26.5" of oil.
I learned a long time ago not to doubt you but I have to say that is an awful wide amount of difference. I bet if you check it at 3000 RPM there is only 5 or 6 inches of manifold vacuum. I know I can get it less than 1/8" difference easy with mercury in the line. If that is not a typo you are right Ken, they are not fussy. Where did you find those numbers? Sure it is not millimeters? Maybe coincidence but that works out to almost exactly 1/16 inch.

EDIT: I only have a Clymer manual for a 1200 and it is just what Ken said. Sure seems like a lot but I figure that can be good as it is easier to not be so fussy.

Mike

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Model: GL1200 Standard
Garage
Thank you all very much for pointing me in the right direction, the simple manometer with just some clear vinyl tube idea is what I'm going to build and try and call it a day.

1984 GL1200

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page