• 1 Post By redwing52

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Garage
Transmission noise? or bearing noise?

Hey everybody! I've got a good one for you.. I have a 2002 GL1800 with 34K miles on her. I've had zero issues with this bike except for not being able to ride it as much as I want to, so sometimes she sits for weeks or maybe a month or two. Anyway a month ago I started her up and started out on a short ride.. I here this chirping noise coming from what sound like the front of the bike. I thought well.. maybe the brakes are kinda sticking and catching the rotor. So I rode on.. I can still barely hear the noise at cruising speeds, but at low speeds below say 30, i hear it louder. It it a pulsing chirping sound like a bad wheel bearing or belt. It only does it while I'm moving. I checked all the brakes and it's not coming from there. I put the bike on the center stand, rotated the wheels and it's not coming from there. I put it in gear and release the clutch and it starts. the faster the rpms, the faster the chirp. I pull the clutch in and it still chirps while the rpms slow down in gear. It sounds like it's coming from the engine or transmission area. I checked the oil, it's full and clean. I checked the coolant, it's full. The chirping does not happen when i rev the engine in neutral. I haven't pinpointed the actual location yet. I want to take her on a ride this weekend, but I don't want to break down and mess up something worse. I'll try to post a video tonight with the sound so maybe that will help. Maybe it's from letting her sit too long? idk..Maybe I need to check final drive oil? But the sound comes from the rear engine area, not the back of the bike.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
What if you shift to 2nd while on the center stand? Does the chirping increase with speed? I'm thinking maybe the driveshaft splines or u-joint.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Garage
Well, I feel kinda dumb... I found the issue I think. I looked again and found the boot where the driveshaft connects to the motor had come loose and was rubbing on the shaft. I got it back in place, (there's a small hole in it so I'll have to replace it sometime soon.. I started the bike and went through the gears, no noise.. I took the bike out for a quick spin and no noise. I'm glad it appears to have been something simple, but mad at myself for not catching it sooner.
DaveO430 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Sounds like a pm recommendation might have helped..........!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:04 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas City Engineer View Post
Well, I feel kinda dumb... I found the issue I think. I looked again and found the boot where the driveshaft connects to the motor had come loose and was rubbing on the shaft. I got it back in place, (there's a small hole in it so I'll have to replace it sometime soon.. I started the bike and went through the gears, no noise.. I took the bike out for a quick spin and no noise. I'm glad it appears to have been something simple, but mad at myself for not catching it sooner.
Use RTV on the hole and run it as is?????
DaveO430 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page