Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Transmission noise? or bearing noise?

903 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
Hey everybody! I've got a good one for you.. I have a 2002 GL1800 with 34K miles on her. I've had zero issues with this bike except for not being able to ride it as much as I want to, so sometimes she sits for weeks or maybe a month or two. :( Anyway a month ago I started her up and started out on a short ride.. I here this chirping noise coming from what sound like the front of the bike. I thought well.. maybe the brakes are kinda sticking and catching the rotor. So I rode on.. I can still barely hear the noise at cruising speeds, but at low speeds below say 30, i hear it louder. It it a pulsing chirping sound like a bad wheel bearing or belt. It only does it while I'm moving. I checked all the brakes and it's not coming from there. I put the bike on the center stand, rotated the wheels and it's not coming from there. I put it in gear and release the clutch and it starts. the faster the rpms, the faster the chirp. I pull the clutch in and it still chirps while the rpms slow down in gear. It sounds like it's coming from the engine or transmission area. I checked the oil, it's full and clean. I checked the coolant, it's full. The chirping does not happen when i rev the engine in neutral. I haven't pinpointed the actual location yet. I want to take her on a ride this weekend, but I don't want to break down and mess up something worse. I'll try to post a video tonight with the sound so maybe that will help. Maybe it's from letting her sit too long? idk..Maybe I need to check final drive oil? But the sound comes from the rear engine area, not the back of the bike.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, I feel kinda dumb... I found the issue I think. I looked again and found the boot where the driveshaft connects to the motor had come loose and was rubbing on the shaft. I got it back in place, (there's a small hole in it so I'll have to replace it sometime soon.. I started the bike and went through the gears, no noise.. I took the bike out for a quick spin and no noise. I'm glad it appears to have been something simple, but mad at myself for not catching it sooner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.