Is using balancing beads a no-no? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
Is using balancing beads a no-no?

There have been several threads here about the virtues of using balancing beads in motorcycle tires. Most everything I can find about the two most-mentioned brands - Dyna Beads and Counteract - says they are safe for all tires. However, I asked the Bridgestone rep at Wing-Ding in Nashville what Bridgestone's official opinion was and his reply surprised me. He said the company had done internal tests with beads (he couldn't recall the brand) and their conclusion was that using beads causes some abrading on the inside of the tire and they do not recommend usage of them. He said he personally had used beads on his own bikes, but had switched back to weights when he found out about these test results. I later looked up Bridgestone's warranty and, sure enough, there is wording that the tire warranty does not cover: "Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer." I tried to find mention on-line of the Bridgestone "tests" he spoke of, hoping to find more specifics, but to no avail. I recently put beads in my tires, so I guess I've voided the warranty and will accidentally be performing my own "tests".

Has anyone experienced any ill effects of using balancing beads?
limpy45 likes this.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)
1975 CB-400F (long gone but fondly remembered)
1970ish Kawasaki 90 (just plain long gone)
1965 Cushman Super Eagle (long gone and thankfully forgotten)
1957 Sears MoPed (long gone, but some good 'first bike' memories)

K 4 D I T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
AZgl1800 here using Lopeha's PC.

that sales rep you talked too is full of BS.

Ignore anything he said.

Dyna Beads, Counteract, etc will NOT damage a tire in any way.
How could they?

Centrifugal force makes them adhere to the outer perimeter, and they will only shift around if an imbalance occurs... and that is so minor as to be negligible.

Andy
2002 GL1800

"Always have a smile on your face, makes everyone else think you're getting away with something"

If you woke up this morning, don't complain - You woke up!

"It's amazing how much good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
Most manufacturers of any product will cover their behinds and add all kinds of warning or do not use information. Lots of riders use beads and have no problem with them,.
limpy45 and ValkyrieRider like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:22 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Bridgestone tires are so crappy they have to cover every angle to keep from having to warranty them. Probably in the fine print somewhere that the warranty is void if they ever touch pavement.
lopeha, AZgl1800 and limpy45 like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:48 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
I have used balancing beads (counteract) in my last two sets of Avon tires (total of 49k miles) with no issues. They work for me.

27,000 miles on the first set and 22,000 miles on the current set.
Bellboy40 likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Bridgestone tires are so crappy they have to cover every angle to keep from having to warranty them. Probably in the fine print somewhere that the warranty is void if they ever touch pavement.
I usually ran Dunlops on my Wings, I switched to Bridgestones on my 08 wing and loved them. On the rear I used the 70 series and it corrected the speedo error and the odometer error.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Avon tire corrects the speedometer error on the GL1500.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88goldwing View Post
There have been several threads here about the virtues of using balancing beads in motorcycle tires. Most everything I can find about the two most-mentioned brands - Dyna Beads and Counteract - says they are safe for all tires. However, I asked the Bridgestone rep at Wing-Ding in Nashville what Bridgestone's official opinion was and his reply surprised me. He said the company had done internal tests with beads (he couldn't recall the brand) and their conclusion was that using beads causes some abrading on the inside of the tire and they do not recommend usage of them. He said he personally had used beads on his own bikes, but had switched back to weights when he found out about these test results. I later looked up Bridgestone's warranty and, sure enough, there is wording that the tire warranty does not cover: "Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer." I tried to find mention on-line of the Bridgestone "tests" he spoke of, hoping to find more specifics, but to no avail. I recently put beads in my tires, so I guess I've voided the warranty and will accidentally be performing my own "tests".

Has anyone experienced any ill effects of using balancing beads?

I have used, and still use the same concept with the same weights of Airsoft hard plastic Redjacket .22cal BBs. I just got them cheaper, but I do not believe the Dyna Beads and Counteract will abraid a tire. I do recall some mention of regular hard steel BBs or some ground glass doing some abraiding.

My .22 BBs get inserted with a funnel and tube through the bead area at mounting, and I usually vacuum them out same way and rinse and dry and reuse. I was using them in several tires, now just in the trike's tires as I sold the 1200 and they were cheap enough that I experimented with them in auto tires of various sizes & aspect ratios.
DBohrer likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:04 PM

I have been using Dyna Beads since 2007. A little over 200,000 miles.

I had heard this statement back then, while obviously not a scientific study, I examined the inside of both front and rear tires meticulously at each tire change.(and there have been a bunch of them). No signs of abrasions, and like Crystalpistol above, I vacuum them out so I can clean and reuse them.

You would think if they were causing abrasions, I would have black dust particles in my little vacuum after cleaning the tire out..... but none to be found.

Sonny In Southern Indiana
Back on the forum after an 8 year absence

My home made Table Lift
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:54 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
I'm "new" to this party, , ,less than 5k on Avon Cobra's front and rear, , , Dyna-beads in front (3 oz), and CounterAct beads in rear (3 oz). The E II's that were 17 yrs old had beads for a short time and BOTH E II's had absolutely NO ABRASION inside when I changed em out because of cracking/age.

I'm wondering if Bridgestone is a tire I WILL avoid, , , BEADS WORK!!!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in