Weird Gas Leak - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Year: '94'
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500
Weird Gas Leak

I started my 94 GL1500 today after several months downtime and it has a strong gasoline smell. It has always had a slight gasoline smell after shutting it off since I bought it used over 10 years ago. Last year I replaced the vacuum fuel shutoff guts and that helped reduce the odor and stopped visual gasoline. Today I started tracking the leak down and found it is dripping very, very slowly (maybe one drip every 6-10 minutes off the plenum for the #6 cylinder when the bike is on the side-stand. Does anyone have ideas?

I had the carbs rebuilt at a Honda shop many years ago and never noticed any change in the smell when parked in the garage until the vacuum shutoff packed it in then it went back to very slight odor after I fixed that so I think this is something that was always there and just crapped out or it just started. In other words not something that has progressed over the years.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions I appreciate it... plain

The nature of things....

'From High Expectations to Grim Determination'

I like order...and some day I will have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:13 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I would guess it's off the float bowl of the left carb.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Year: 1984
Model: GL1200 Standard
I’m a GL1200 guy, so can’t help much with the leak. But I strongly suggest shutting off the gas at the petcock (given the 1500 has one) after every ride and always park using the center stand, except for brief stops.

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for getting back to me so quickly. So Dave0430 what would I look for when I get all the plastic off (which will be a few weeks) to see if the float bowl is the problem and determine how to fix this? From what I have read in past threads about this most suspect the bowl gasket. Will I have to reset the float if I change the gasket or will tightening be okay? I'd rather not tear the carbs apart but I don't mind doing whatever it takes while I have the plastic off rather than not doing enough and having to redo the job. And, does anyone else experience this that you guys have heard? Like for years?
And I'm with you on prevention JohnnyD. I have been cautious about not putting the bike in a position to leak if at all possible.

The nature of things....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain View Post
Thanks Guys for getting back to me so quickly. So Dave0430 what would I look for when I get all the plastic off (which will be a few weeks) to see if the float bowl is the problem and determine how to fix this? From what I have read in past threads about this most suspect the bowl gasket. Will I have to reset the float if I change the gasket or will tightening be okay? I'd rather not tear the carbs apart but I don't mind doing whatever it takes while I have the plastic off rather than not doing enough and having to redo the job. And, does anyone else experience this that you guys have heard? Like for years?
And I'm with you on prevention JohnnyD. I have been cautious about not putting the bike in a position to leak if at all possible.
You will have to remove and separate the carbs to replace the gaskets. It would not affect the float settings but a good idea to check them anyway.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Iím a GL1200 guy, so canít help much with the leak. But I strongly suggest shutting off the gas at the petcock (given the 1500 has one) after every ride and always park using the center stand, except for brief stops.
The GL1500 does not have a manual fuel shut-off valve (like the 4-cylinder Wing's). It has a vacuum controlled fuel shut-off valve.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay Thanks for the help. It will be some time before I do this. Gotta paint the house (trim and gables) in a few weeks when I get off work. Then I can have "fun".

The nature of things....

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
I had a fuel leak on my 1994 model a couple years ago. Mine was leaking around the right side fuel bowl and running down some drain hoses and dripping on the exhaust pipes causing a white steam to rise up around the engine. I pulled the carbs and replaced both fuel bowl gaskets and cleaned off the fuel stains from the inside of the fuel bowls and sprayed come carb cleaner in the jets. I didn't do anything else to it since it was running perfectly. Put it back together and all has been well since.
It is not a fun job to remove and replace those carbs but it had to be done to fix the leak. One of the hardest parts of the job for me was getting those water hoses back on the bottom of the carbs and putting back the vacuum hose under the bottom right front of the air filter housing. There is so little slack in those hoses and so little space to work in that it makes it difficult to get them back in place.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
You haven't by chance Ö overfilled the gas into the tray lately have you?

Cap still seals good?

No leaks at connections to that auto fuel valve you just serviced no long ago?

Just asking.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page