Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

stator

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  nato1 
#1 ·
Hi all finally got the fuel pump figured out Thanks to all your input It was sureley a great help now I have another bigger problem needs another stator I couldnt find an oem and I still cant for my 86 goldwing Interstate 1200I bought the last one from randakks It only lasted me just over 2 years Any suggestions on where to find good quality parts besides oem thought I found one in FL but guy said it was in open box and open bag like what does he think Im gonna fall for thatone yeah I could do external alternator but I want to keep as original looking as possible Thanks Sal G

#2 ·
Well, maybe a chat with him, buying it on condition it passes testing for broken windings or shorts.
No moving parts in a stator, it's just poles with insulated wire wraps and what makes the juice is that rotor with a magnet passing the poles. You have the rotor in your bike.

I've bought a good number of items off the internet, off the phone before that, and knock on wood, never a bad dealing yet. Once in 2012, I agreed to buy 4 like new take off P275/55R20 Perelli Scorpions for my pickup from a guy in Kansas City, Mo. and I live in Va. Tires were some he pulled off his 2012 FX4, He said $200 plus shipping which was gonna be $157 for all 4. Then there was that trust issue. I told him via email that I'd send the $200 and he could send the tires and I could send shipping then. I started to write the check that night and decided what the hell, and made it for full amount. Funny thing was all 4 tires were on my carport two days later, he didn't even wait for the check.

Back in 1986, I saw a add in Car & Driver, a warehouse closing in NJ, full of Koni gas adjustable shocks it said. I called the phone number Monday afternoon, they had 4 to fit my '85 Thunderbird, they said I could send a check (was like $300 give or take). I wrote check and mailed on Tuesday morning. Wednesday evening as we were eating supper, UPS dropped my shocks off.

In 1994 I found a Triumph T150V MC in Vergenes, Vt. listed for sale in Old Bike Journal. I called the number on a Friday night, talked for awhile, agreed to purchase but explained I couldn't be there for a week or more as I only had one day off that following week. He said He'd hold it if I'd send him a $200 deposit. Deposit left here Saturday. On Monday, my Sgt. let me off work after court, wife and I left here at 11:00 AM in my '77 F-150. 760 miles later in the wee hours, I got a room in Burlington, Vt. At 6:20 AM on Tuesday I called the seller and he said he'd wait and go to his job late, gave me directions. I arrived, started bike, sounded great, said lets load it and we did after I backed my PU into a ditch. Come time to pay, he would only let me pay the agreed on price, less the $200 I said I sent but which had not arrived yet. I was a happy camper then. 760 miles home then.

Don't know how much is bein g asked for new in open box and open bag, but if it is new unused and if it's OEM I'd give it serious thought. Lots of reasons for open box or bag over last 20-30 years or more. My 1200's stator developed a problem on one leg in 1997, I put a new Honda "lifetime warrantied" stator in it, still going great. I recall there being talk of better insulation used with it? Seems then, over 20 years ago, was about $140.

Attachments

#3 ·
Sal, it comes down to how many times do you want to do this vs how much money you can or want to spend. I did this to my 1200 last year. glhonda gave me some good advice in post #9 of this thread: The Diva Killed the Battery. I used this stator from Ricks. It was a little pricy, but quality is worth it. I got another secondhand Ricks stator from on of these forum members. I put it my 1100 that is currently being put together. Heat is the enemy of the stock stator. The Ricks is well made and holding up so far.

#5 ·
Heat is the enemy of the stock stator. The Ricks is well made and holding up so far.
Stators seldom "Just Fail", it's usually something external that kills 'em. Bad/shorted/corroded connections in the "Dreaded Three Yellow Wires" or shorted rectifier diodes being the most common culprits. Either of these conditions get the stator all hotted up.

So regardless of what stator you put in there check all the connections between it and the Rec/Reg unit. The three phase diode bridge can be checked with an ohmmeter, (12 separate measurements for full test) but if you see 14.5 or so volts at the battery at 5000 RPM with the new stator, that's a pretty good indication all diodes are okay. With a shorted recitfier diode, the alternator will still output current but will struggle to reach charging voltage (and get hot again).

#7 ·
Have you thought of using a poor boy alternator. You don't have to remove your engine to install this. I have installed one on a friend's bike for him about 2 years ago maybe longer I will say two to three years ago. On an interstate GL 1200 1984. Mike is still going strong no electrical problems battery stays definitely charge lot easier than removing the engine to replace a stator

#8 ·
Crystal I get what you are saying about trust I talked to dealer in fla he said NO returns on elect parts even if i tested and was bad no returns I asked him to test first but no time with dorian in the area will get back to me later JamesPal I was thinking about the ricks parts just not sure what was meant when I read the thread about dont get confused about the Ricks and the RM stator any idea what he was talking about glhonda I like your idea on bypass so to be sure I solder wires outside of engine and go to regulator unit directly highrider as I stated in original post I wanted to keep as original as possible

Thanks to all for your great information and experiances in this matter but if cost effective is a consideration seems ricks has all the parts for the same price as just the stator from dealer

#13 ·
External gl 1200 stator

Didn't appear my prior message went so I am sending it again. if you did get it, please ignore. Appreciate all of the pics and sharing your experience. Since I am not altogether set up to do a lot of modification work, is there is kit available to make insulation easier? I have a gl 1200 SEi. Also have you had any overheating problems since it appears the alternator may block air flow on one side. Any excessive noise from the alternator as opposed to before the conversion? Thank you!

#14 ·
Didn't appear my prior message went so I am sending it again. if you did get it, please ignore. Appreciate all of the pics and sharing your experience. Since I am not altogether set up to do a lot of modification work, is there is kit available to make insulation easier? I have a gl 1200 SEi. Also have you had any overheating problems since it appears the alternator may block air flow on one side. Any excessive noise from the alternator as opposed to before the conversion? Thank you!
I answered this in your other thread.

#15 ·
Have you actually tested your stator. Melted connectors are common in the charging circuit. I think a lot of good stators are chucked because there's something else wrong.

#17 ·
Yes, it was tested first in the Honda shop since there can be other causes. It was determined it is the stator. Was wondering if one can order the external alternator kit?
No, I don't think anyone is providing those anymore.

Don Pigot (Poor Boy) is now retired and not building the kit anymore. Hasn't since summer of 2017.

I have posted up the links to building your own at least 3 times now in the last couple of days.

In fact, you were one of the people for whom I put up those links,
it was at this post:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...rboy-conversion-82-gl1100-15.html#post5866455

In those links are threads by 'Wes' and 'Wilcoy02', both of whom put up terrific posts with photos of each step.

they did great tutorials to follow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.