• 1 Post By JamesPal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1987 and 1989
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 and GL1500 Trike
Garage
87 GL1200, Engine shut down

Thought I would share an experience. I was riding my 87 Aspencade yesterday. We rode up to Mt Rainier here in Washington state. When it came time to leave I had to crank the starter before it fired, it normally doesn't go a full revolution. Then on the way down the engine just shut down. I flipped the kill switch, nothing, then I reached up and turned the ignition off and back on. It fired up and we were riding again. a little later it shut down again, I did the ignition switch thing and it didn't help, I will add that we were coming down off the mountain so it was in gear all the time. It suddenly fired again. It did this about 3 times and then was running fine. I rode until we stopped to eat. When I parked it I opened the tank cover and checked all connections, with the engine running, nothing, wiggled all the wiring I could get hold of, moved the handlebars nothing. We ate and left, went about 12 miles and ir shut down for about 100 feet before I could stop it fired up again went about 3 miles and shut down. This time it stayed off until I could stop. I pushed the starter button nothing. Finally, something to check. I thought the first thing will be the safety switches and since the only thing I was using while all this was going on was the clutch. I pulled back the rubber cover and sure enough one of the wires was falling off the clutch switch I tightened it and slipped it back on, the engine cranked and we rode the rest of the trip without a hitch
AZgl1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
The clutch switch would be the reason the starter would not crank but that wire being loose would not shut the engine off. You might still have another issue.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Year: 1985
Model: Interstate
There may have been a ignition switch recall back in the day on those bikes I vaguely remember something like that

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Look at the wires on the starter solenoid. They can get crispy and do what you describe.
redwing52 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
One more item, the ignition switches can fail. There are kits out there to replace the electrical portion of the switch.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Year: 2015
Model: Audio Comfort
Garage
I had a problem with my old 86, I was pulling a trailer through KY. suddenly it died and I could restart it but it died again a little ways down the road. Eventually, it would no longer start. I pulled the side cover off and the wires to the starter relay had melted. Fortunately, I had pulled into a Auto Zone and went in and bought some connectors and put them on the wires, after peeling back all the melted casings and connect them backup and I was good to go. It was still running that way for when I sold it about 50,000 miles later

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page