Dropped bike and now it runs poorly - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500
Dropped bike and now it runs poorly

As the title states, I went to stand the bike on the side stand and didn't realize it was pulled up, talk about a DUH! moment. Anyway, I noticed it was running a little odd, like the carbs were flooded or something and there was a slight bog. I didn't think too much about it since it was early morning and when it fell over, it was still running until I shut it off. It rode fine after a couple of miles. On my ride home, it seemed to still be acting up again. When I got home, it idled around 500 rpm, has a rattling sound from the timing belt area that goes away when I pull in the clutch and the exhaust smells maybe rich. Timing belts are new last year by the way. If I roll on the throttle, I can hear maybe some pinging and the exhaust note "could" be different than normal. I also noticed when I pulled it in the garage, having it on the center stand and idling, it would simply shut off, no sputtering or anything, as if the key were turned off. It does seem that it behaves a lot like it did last fall when I had a vacuum leak, the one hose between the throttle throats.

I feel real stupid about laying it down and am not in the mood to tear into it tonight. I thought maybe someone could add some insight into what I'm experiencing. I'm not sure if there are some knock sensors or something similar on the engine. The rattling sound however does concern me more than anything else.

If it makes any difference, when it fell over I was parallel to my garage door and the bike landed on the left side, with the slope of the driveway, it actually heeled over past the roll bars and landed on the mirror. I'm concerned that the impact may have done something to the engine although there are no leaks anywhere. I have floor boards which did fold up into the shifter but it shifted fine all during my 60 mile commute. Any thoughts or comments about the bike, not my stupidity, would be appreciated.

1990 GoldWing 1500
2002 Shadow VLX Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
I would check for a fouled plug first

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersport View Post
As the title states, I went to stand the bike on the side stand and didn't realize it was pulled up, talk about a DUH! moment. Anyway, I noticed it was running a little odd, like the carbs were flooded or something and there was a slight bog. I didn't think too much about it since it was early morning and when it fell over, it was still running until I shut it off. It rode fine after a couple of miles. On my ride home, it seemed to still be acting up again. When I got home, it idled around 500 rpm, has a rattling sound from the timing belt area that goes away when I pull in the clutch and the exhaust smells maybe rich. Timing belts are new last year by the way. If I roll on the throttle, I can hear maybe some pinging and the exhaust note "could" be different than normal. I also noticed when I pulled it in the garage, having it on the center stand and idling, it would simply shut off, no sputtering or anything, as if the key were turned off. It does seem that it behaves a lot like it did last fall when I had a vacuum leak, the one hose between the throttle throats.b

I feel real stupid about laying it down and am not in the mood to tear into it tonight. I thought maybe someone could add some insight into what I'm experiencing. I'm not sure if there are some knock sensors or something similar on the engine. The rattling sound however does concern me more than anything else.

If it makes any difference, when it fell over I was parallel to my garage door and the bike landed on the left side, with the slope of the driveway, it actually heeled over past the roll bars and landed on the mirror. I'm concerned that the impact may have done something to the engine although there are no leaks anywhere. I have floor boards which did fold up into the shifter but it shifted fine all during my 60 mile commute. Any thoughts or comments about the bike, not my stupidity, would be appreciated.
First there is no reason the bike was still running when it was tipped over that much. The bank angle sensor should have turned off the engine long before that. That is not the issue but something you should check in to at some point. The bank angle sensor is not doing it's job.
As for the poor running I think maybe you already touched on a possible issue. When the bike went over it could have jarred a line loose. It also might have jarred the carbs enough that they moved on the rubber isolators. Either way I wonder if you are not going to be chasing a vacuum leak. Do you use propane to find vacuum leaks?
Another possibility is that it might have broken off a spark plug on that side. Pulled off a plug wire a little or pulled a plug wire apart.
The rattle is probably not an issue. It is probably the gears in the transmission rattling because the output from the engine is erratic.
If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing. I tipped mine over at Taco Bell. So all the customers got a meal and a show for the cost of the meal.
DBohrer and limpy45 like this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Interstate
You didn't say the model year

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocketrocket55 View Post
You didn't say the model year
His profile and signature both say he has a 1990 GL15.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:46 AM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
The bank angle sensor should have killed the engine, investigate why it is not working.
Sounds like it took a good jolt going down. Low idle RPM, different exhaust sound and smell confirms something is not right with ignition or more likely mixture. After a visual inspection of components strip it down a bit and diagnose the problem.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...osis-test.html

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
With the engine running on its side - Wondering if maybe a stuck carburetor float....

Try this: Disconnect fuel pump power at the tank, disconnect and plug vacuum line at the petcock, start engine and run the carburetors out of gas.. Use the choke when engine starts to sputter to use the last of the fuel in the bottom of the carbs. After it dies, reconnect vacuum line and fuel pump.

This exercise "Should" drop the floats to bottom of travel and maybe restore normal operation if one was stuck.
redwing52 likes this.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
There was a recall for the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) for the 1988 - 1993. One possibility why yours did not work.

The BAS provides a "ground" to activate the ignition relay....!

Technicians were supposed to stamp an "X" on the frame (near the battery) when completing the recall.

In your post........................

I pulled it in the garage, having it on the center stand and idling, it would simply shut off, no sputtering or anything, as if the key were turned off.

You might want to investigate the BAS situation.......Maybe even first.

Don't "overthink" the issue....!!
redwing52, dingdong and odinjunior like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500
Thank you to all, very good things to check. I hate to admit but this is not the first time I've dropped the bike however the other time it did shut off, so looking into the sensor needs to be a priority. Haven't had any time to really look into things, hopefully over the weekend as we are having some great riding weather.
limpy45 likes this.

1990 GoldWing 1500
2002 Shadow VLX Deluxe
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersport View Post
Thank you to all, very good things to check. I hate to admit but this is not the first time I've dropped the bike however the other time it did shut off, so looking into the sensor needs to be a priority. Haven't had any time to really look into things, hopefully over the weekend as we are having some great riding weather.
Remember the old saying. There are two kinds of bikers. Those who have dropped their bike and those that will.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page