Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Bogging down after trip to coast

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Las Vegas 
#1 ·
We rode over to Daytona beach.on our '96 1500GL Everything was fine. It rained on the bike and it was out in the elements salt and sand etc for a few days. When we went to ride back over to Ocala it was running a little rough. It was bogging down and had to mess with the throttle. Any ideas? Would the carburetor be affected by elements? Any other ideas what it may be?

#2 ·
did you keep a half cover over it when not riding?
I do that all the time to keep rain from getting where it don't belong.

I would suggest you get some Sea Foam and dose the gas tank strong.
I typically used about a 1/3rd to 1/2 can per tank of fuel.

I like to pour it in before fueling up, so it gets mixed well.
Then I set the bike on the center stand, and let it idle for an hour or so.
Just make sure the fans cycle on/off as they should.

Sea Foam fixed a '94SE that had sat in desert temps for 2 years w/o being started.
took a few months, but it went from the worst ride ever, to being stable and strong.

on a '98SE that I purchased in Tampa, FL; another bike that had not been ridden in more than a year.... but it was "started and allowed to get warm" once in a while per the owner. great looking bike, I jumped at buying it.

Road it home to Phx AZ over 3,000 miles of zig zag visits with friends...
after about a week of the Sea Foam in every tank, it settled down to idling smooth like it should.

#6 ·
Tonie , two thoughts . Did this bogging down start immediately when leaving Daytona or gradually while heading home?
1) I would loosen the gas cap and see if that solves the problem.....the vent may not be working correctly.
2) If the loose cap doesnt help then I would fill the tank and bypass the vacuum operated fuel cutoff valve (roughly square piece of aluminum next to fuel cap). If you have a vacuum leak in the valve ( or source hose) the valve may not open fully and so you could have a restricted flow of fuel.

#7 ·
We rode over to Daytona beach.on our '96 1500GL Everything was fine. It rained on the bike and it was out in the elements salt and sand etc for a few days. When we went to ride back over to Ocala it was running a little rough. It was bogging down and had to mess with the throttle. Any ideas? Would the carburetor be affected by elements? Any other ideas what it may be?

I just recently had a very similar problem after getting a fill up at a Sams Club gas station. I added about 4 oz of HEET, It took the tankful and half of another before it got rid of that bad gas.

#9 ·
But in the first post he's talking about a '96 1500, not the LTD :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.