Can fuel go into crankcase? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2000SE
Model: It is a WING, man.
Can fuel go into crankcase?

GL1500, any year.

Odd thought, the title, so I ask you here.
Other than fuel going into the cylinder via carb-intake-open valve while parked, is there another route fuel can get into the crankcase?
Bike is 99% parked on the side-stand.

Reason for asking is, fuel mileage is around 42 and oil only lasts 1500 to 2000 miles. Tho it is still clean it feels like old oil when shifting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HUMM-HUMmm-Hummm-hummmm-mmmmmmmmmm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WHAT A RIDE!
Quiet, powerful, comfortable and almost maintenance free.

Last edited by wing-man; 09-15-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
What kind of oil are you using?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:56 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Can't really tell any difference in shifting between new and old oil. I think you might have talked yourself into it?????
DBohrer likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:33 AM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
1500's rarely use much oil, if enough gasoline were getting into the oil to affect shifting you'd see the level INCREASE on the dipstick.

Other than the route you described above thru the intake, all other possible routes are thru the intake, too, such as pinhole in petcock diaphragm, could suck gasoline into intake when running. But that gasoline would get burned...

The 1000's and 1100's with mechanical fuel pump can get gas in the oil if the pump is leaking internally, running fuel down the pump actuator lever into the cyl head. No such route on 1200 or newer bikes though.

So I agree with Redwing52.....

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Getting 42 mpg is better than most of us are getting.
limpy45 likes this.

Tom

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Model: '98 Valkyrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing-man View Post
GL1500, any year.

Odd thought, the title, so I ask you here.
Other than fuel going into the cylinder via carb-intake-open valve while parked, is there another route fuel can get into the crankcase?
Bike is 99% parked on the side-stand.

Reason for asking is, fuel mileage is around 42 and oil only lasts 1500 to 2000 miles. Tho it is still clean it feels like old oil when shifting.

Only a used oil analysis (UOA) will confirm if the oil is bad and needs replacement.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I owned two 1500s, a '94SE and a '98SE.

both of them averaged 33 mpg for me, both had a Tulsa Tall windshield which is the primary reason for the low mpg..... the 2nd reason is that I have always lived in the western states where it is 100+ miles in a ruler straight line to the next object to be seen.

So, the throttle is up against the peg going there.
avead51 likes this.

~ John

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
What kind of oil are you using?
In these forums I went from OEM oil to the suggested to Delo 400LE. It was fine until last year that oil smelled like re-manufactured oil. But they since stopped selling it.

Year ago I tried the Mobile1 synthetic, the lifters rattled like Castanets, went back to Delo.

Now I am trying a different mfg synthetic diesel oil blend. It is working quite nicely, (not saying, still testing).

Of the 5? different oils, the same issue happened. Around 1500 to 2000 miles the shifting gets stiff, just like it would when oil gets old & dirty. I shift soft (or easy) so I can feel it going into gear.
I suppose I would never feel it if I stomped the shift like them (high-eye-roll) macho HD dudes. I prefer to take GOOD care of what I have.

WHAT A RIDE!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Oil level rising? Not that I can tell.
I check weekly but with this issue, every evening right after that days ride.

Oil is clear so there is no soot getting past the rings.
It has just over 50,000 miles on the OEM clock, as you all say, just getting broke-in.

Brake fluids are not dropping in their respective reservoirs.

As a shade tree mechanic, I have pulled apart many motors so I am fairly versed in the parts, but not this Wing. That is the reason for asking this threads question, simply, I do not know.

WHAT A RIDE!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I owned two 1500s, a '94SE and a '98SE.

both of them averaged 33 mpg for me, both had a Tulsa Tall windshield which is the primary reason for the low mpg..... the 2nd reason is that I have always lived in the western states where it is 100+ miles in a ruler straight line to the next object to be seen.

So, the throttle is up against the peg going there.
My Wing is the 2000SE. What is odd, a sticker on one of the covers says to use 91 octane. Reading threads this bike can use the lowest grade 87 without issues, which I have. Last week I tried the 15% ethanol, no issues, but this is summertime.

For giggles (a few times) 100 Octane. This bike seems perkiest around 93 Octane, any higher there is no difference.
Makes me wonder what this SE has for a motor... but I am sure its normal. Nor have I looked up the Vin for info, yet.

So, fuel mpgs. I too switched to the Tulsa Tall. I enjoy the scenery too much to ride fast, if I do not have to. I am steadily getting 42-ish, a few times 46 & 47 but those were windy days. On those windy days I try to ride with and against for comfort. Side winds, I earnestly look for tree lined roads.
_
Here is that sticker. (below)
Also it does say RON not Octane. Just a habit.

Basically speaking, the higher Octa, uh, RON the more power the motor produces. As a side note, I do get a little better fuel mileage.
I am not interested in debating this, IT IS WHAT IT IS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0915192249b_HDR-1.jpg (70.3 KB, 13 views)

WHAT A RIDE!

Last edited by wing-man; 09-15-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page