Volt meter on my 85 Aspencade - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Model: 85 aspy
Volt meter on my 85 Aspencade

When I am riding down the road volt meter reads all most 16volts. I have led lights on the wing for the most part but head light and tail and brake and turn's are still incandescent bulbs. Is these something to be worried about ? Or is the volt meter just off a few volts now when I am seating at a red light the volt meter drops to be low 12volts about 11 on the meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
No way to know what's going on without a reliable volt/ohm meter. And, with a OEM regulator the voltage shouldn't drop like that...unless those LEDs are causing problems.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
IMO,
replacing the incandescant bulbs with LEDs unloaded the charging system too much, and the Reg/Rec is not able to control the over-voltage at high RPMs.

Stators put out Full Maximum current at the RPM they are turning at, higher the RPMs, the more current they will output. The regulator must control this by shunting the excess current to ground.

you either have to add enough extra load to pull things back into control, or replace the Reg/Rec with a newer design MosFET style

this link is a good system that is designed for the 1985 goldwing.

https://www.electrosport.com/collect...l1200-goldwing

here are more vendors.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...-Stator-21_102

this link explains how to install them
https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...rectifier.html

this vendor also explains how they work, and sells them.
http://www.roadstercycle.com/Roadste...Regulators.htm
CrystalPistol and dnagardner like this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Even B4 I replaced a lot of lites with the LED lights still at ideal volt meter was at 11volts and it ran about a hair over 15volts. But now it is close to 16volts but not right on 16volts. But very close.could I have a bad regulator?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I had no LEDs except for maybe indicator lights on my '85 Aspencade, every signal / tail / stop / head lamp was OEM type. I would often turn on my twin 35 watt Unity fog lights as well to absorb some load load. Still, 13.5-14 vDC was not uncommon at road speed even with fog lights on.. My meter was a SunPro Analog wired through a relay from battery, looked to be accurate enough. Readings at same time, engine off, extra meters straight to battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.8 vdc a (640x393).jpg (205.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 12.8 vdc b (600x416).jpg (154.5 KB, 8 views)

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
2 things are critical to regulating the voltage output, regulator ground and battery voltage on the black wire at the regulator. If the ground circuit has resistance it can't shunt extra voltage to the frame and if the black wire is not getting full battery voltage the regulator assumes the battery is low and charges too much. If the idle speed is below 1000 rpm it doesn't charge much at all so the voltage will drop.
CrystalPistol likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes my wing does ideal low to low really . That is one thing I need to do. Tomorrow B4 I ride it to work is adjust it a bit. It ideals around 800 or so my service manual calls for 1000rpm +/- 100rpm. Will try to hit the 1000 rpm mark but have to do it with a warmed up motor.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Well I rode it home from work and it is on 16volts on the voltmeter . I going to put back in some incandescent bulbs see if that helps. Can't afford the updated regulator / rectifier I thank you for that website they are $109 for my 85 aspencade Goldwing GL 1200. Which I feel is not bad at all. But I've been off work for a little over 7 weeks due to a surgery I had to have done do do I have colon cancer last year. And I just now got back to work as of September 16th. Do you have one other question putting these incandescent bulbs back and does not bring the voltage down then I probably should not ride the wing until I get that voltage back down to around 14 am I correct on that thinking or not please let me know
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:29 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by highriderzr2guy View Post
Well I rode it home from work and it is on 16volts on the voltmeter . I going to put back in some incandescent bulbs see if that helps. Can't afford the updated regulator / rectifier I thank you for that website they are $109 for my 85 aspencade Goldwing GL 1200. Which I feel is not bad at all. But I've been off work for a little over 7 weeks due to a surgery I had to have done do do I have colon cancer last year. And I just now got back to work as of September 16th. Do you have one other question putting these incandescent bulbs back and does not bring the voltage down then I probably should not ride the wing until I get that voltage back down to around 14 am I correct on that thinking or not please let me know
Why would you consider throwing a part at it before you figure out what's wrong?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
As Dave said. It is easy test. Take a needle and pierce the black wire. Do the same to both green wires.
Using your voltmeter on DC measure the voltage by placing the red probe in the pierced hole of black wire and the black probe to battery negative post. You should read the same voltage as the meter on the bike.
Again,using your voltmeter on DC measure the voltage by placing the red probe in the pierced hole one of the two green wires and the black probe to battery negative post. You should read zero or near zero volts. Repeat the process on the other green wire.
If you see higher voltage on the green wire/s you have a poor ground somewhere.
If you see low voltage on the black wire you have high resistance somewhere. (poor connection or bad contact etc.)
Use finger nail polish in the pierced holes to keep the weather out.
dnagardner likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

Last edited by redwing52; 09-18-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Fix an error on my part..

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in