LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2014,2005,2010
Make: Honda, Honda, and Street glide
Model: twin yellow wings
Garage
1800 stereo speakers fail looking for advice

Ok my 2010 with the prem audio and navi
I have two speaker problems and they could be related or separate issues either way I am stumped.

Problem started with the passenger side rear speaker not working .
Did all my research to find the bend in the harness at the hinge can be a problem.
tore the speakers off and found that I indeed did have issues with a broken wire as when I flexed the wires I had intermittent signal to the speaker. I have not opened up the harness yet.

My first question is can I jumper from the other speaker to the faulty one. ???

During this process I noticed that the driver side front speaker has now quit working. So I tore that down to remove the speaker and test it with a 1.5 volt battery, The battery makes a very clear noise when connected .

So my second question is did my wire issue in the rear speaker possibly cause my amp to blow ??? I dont know for sure the amp is blown just looking at all options.

So if you have had this problem or know possible repairs I would like to hear back on this forum.

Thanks

fix it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlowrider View Post

My first question is can I jumper from the other speaker to the faulty one. ???

So my second question is did my wire issue in the rear speaker possibly cause my amp to blow ???

Do not connect the left & right speakers together. It will make the balance not work and could possibly blow the amp.

It maybe could have blown the amp but I doubt it. Fix your wires first and see what happens.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok Dave as usual your comment makes perfect sense.
knowing I have a broken wire perhaps it is best for me to replace the harness to the rear speakers with one from e bay they are 20-40 $ .
That will solve problem number one (rear speakers)

still looking for advice on front left speaker I said I have removed it and connected a 1.5 volt battery to it and it makes strong noise which I interpret as a good speaker.
Did I get that right ? or should I be testing with an actual speaker.

other than that where is a good place to start checking the speaker wiring.

thanks Dave

fix it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Watch the corners of the trunk lid.

the PO of my bike extended those wires in that harness and then gave them enough extra room to relieve the stress at the "hinge points" so that the harness now has a few extra inches of room to "twist" when the lid is opened.

it no longer "bends" as the lid is opened and closed.

~ John

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Maybe try switching the front speakers to see if the problem moves to the other side. Other than that it's a matter of checking the wiring to the amp and radio.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks I agree completely, regarding the flexing of the harness ,Honda missed the ball on that design.

I found that flexing it by hand i would get sound from the rear speaker.then as soon as I moved it I would loose the sound ( Broken wire for sure.)
It takes me a long time to remove the inner lid on the trunk and all the other stuff I have found a complete harness on e bay for 16.00 that is another option.

heck i already have a spare set of harnesses for the starter relays only to find out that the problem was the a dirty starter that failed to allow the brushes to advance when they were worn.

With the remainder of the Minnesota riding season closing in just a few more weeks I think I will try to pull the entire front and rear wiring before my migration to Arizona for the winter.(Quartzsite)
Dave also had a great thought i never thought of just switch the front speakers and if that is not successful then trace the wires down front and back.
I do love the sounds of music while i ride.

My 2010 yellow wing has just 18000 miles but under the left pocket I found some device for a i phone connection that has been spliced into the harness then further when I did dig into the rear speakers I found excessive amounts of black tape and I do mean excessive.
That indicates to me someone had been in there before.

I will eventually get to the bottom of it and do certainly appreciate the comments from you and Dave.

Thanks for your thoughts

fix it right
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:50 AM

Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
A motorcycle with a driver's side and a passenger's side? Isn't that the front and the rear?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page