Cracked Frame Dilemma GL1800 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2001
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1800
Send a message via AIM to kenneym Send a message via MSN to kenneym Send a message via Yahoo to kenneym
Question Cracked Frame Dilemma GL1800

Okay so here's my dilemma. I have a 2001 GL1800. The bike has been very good to me. A lot of Oil and Tires. I love it . I have over 350,000 miles on this Beast and it's been all over the place . And whether I'm riding with a group or off on my own for a couple weeks I've always felt that I have something reliable with me that will get me home or to help. Just returned from a trip to glacier Nat Park and Yellowstone. and i was going to replace the rear shock. Surprise!! this is what i found. The bike has a cracked frame in two places . on the left side. Didn't check the other side yet. Yikes!!! Thought it was a little loose in the turns ;-) The frame has been repaired once before. I'm contemplating what to do. I can have it repaired again (Welded). Or Winter's coming and it would be a good time to just swap the frame out with another one. If I decide to do the swap. Do I look for a frame that is from an 01 to 03. Or do I go with a later frame 04 and on. The later frames supposedly has beefier welds etc . Is there any problem using a later frame on an earlier GL1800. I notice the PN: are slightly different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
2001-2005 all have the same frame, IIRC...

mine is the '02 and so far, no cracks at 114,000 miles.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:03 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Is the recall not still in effect?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Here's a copy of the recall notice: http://www.justwings.com/uploads/SB-...Inspection.pdf
AZgl1800 and kenneym like this.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2001
Model: Gl1800
Send a message via AIM to kenneym Send a message via MSN to kenneym Send a message via Yahoo to kenneym
Thanks . So you think that for the Gen 1 bikes there is a difference from 05 onward
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneym View Post
Okay so here's my dilemma. I have a 2001 GL1800. The bike has been very good to me. A lot of Oil and Tires. I love it . I have over 350,000 miles on this Beast and it's been all over the place . And whether I'm riding with a group or off on my own for a couple weeks I've always felt that I have something reliable with me that will get me home or to help. Just returned from a trip to glacier Nat Park and Yellowstone. and i was going to replace the rear shock. Surprise!! this is what i found. The bike has a cracked frame in two places . on the left side. Didn't check the other side yet. Yikes!!! Thought it was a little loose in the turns ;-) The frame has been repaired once before. I'm contemplating what to do. I can have it repaired again (Welded). Or Winter's coming and it would be a good time to just swap the frame out with another one. If I decide to do the swap. Do I look for a frame that is from an 01 to 03. Or do I go with a later frame 04 and on. The later frames supposedly has beefier welds etc . Is there any problem using a later frame on an earlier GL1800. I notice the PN: are slightly different.
Do you have pictures of where it broke. Most of them cracked where the tube was welded to the swingarm casting. I did see some where the tube itself broke. If that is the case or even if it cracked by the casting joint why not repair it? The casting could be rewelded and gusseted where it was strnger than new. If the tube failed balogna cut a tube that will slide over it and weld that up. Way easier than replacing the frame on a bike with 325K Miles..
kenneym likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:02 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneym View Post
Okay so here's my dilemma. . I'm contemplating what to do..
I don't see a dilemma or much to contemplate. Take it to the dealer and let Honda pay for it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:57 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I don't see a dilemma or much to contemplate. Take it to the dealer and let Honda pay for it.
That may depend on who did the previous repair? If it was done thru the recall/warranty program , yes I would take it back to mother H. If it done at some road side shop I expect Mother H would nix it.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
When the frame crack start happening there was places on some frames that developed cracks that was not in the Honda recall. I didn't keep up with the recall after I sold my 02 but is Honda covering cracks no matter where they occur?

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Being that it’s on 01 you might at least try for warranty repair. When I left the dealership level in 07 Honda was very specific about the frame recall. Since then more 1800’s have had more cracked frames in various locations. Traditional cracking around the upper shock area is associated with overloading but that decision will be up to Honda. I say give it a try. The dealer will want to take pictures and contact American Honda. It’s their call not the dealers.
BadMonk's1200 likes this.

Ray
88 GL1500

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page