Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Cracked Frame Dilemma GL1800

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  dnagardner 
#1 ·
Okay so here's my dilemma. I have a 2001 GL1800. The bike has been very good to me. A lot of Oil and Tires. I love it . I have over 350,000 miles on this Beast and it's been all over the place . And whether I'm riding with a group or off on my own for a couple weeks I've always felt that I have something reliable with me that will get me home or to help. Just returned from a trip to glacier Nat Park and Yellowstone. and i was going to replace the rear shock. Surprise!! this is what i found. The bike has a cracked frame in two places . on the left side. Didn't check the other side yet. Yikes!!! Thought it was a little loose in the turns ;-) The frame has been repaired once before. I'm contemplating what to do. I can have it repaired again (Welded). Or Winter's coming and it would be a good time to just swap the frame out with another one. If I decide to do the swap. Do I look for a frame that is from an 01 to 03. Or do I go with a later frame 04 and on. The later frames supposedly has beefier welds etc . Is there any problem using a later frame on an earlier GL1800. I notice the PN: are slightly different.

#6 ·
Do you have pictures of where it broke. Most of them cracked where the tube was welded to the swingarm casting. I did see some where the tube itself broke. If that is the case or even if it cracked by the casting joint why not repair it? The casting could be rewelded and gusseted where it was strnger than new. If the tube failed balogna cut a tube that will slide over it and weld that up. Way easier than replacing the frame on a bike with 325K Miles.. :)

#9 ·
When the frame crack start happening there was places on some frames that developed cracks that was not in the Honda recall. I didn't keep up with the recall after I sold my 02 but is Honda covering cracks no matter where they occur?

#10 ·
Being that it’s on 01 you might at least try for warranty repair. When I left the dealership level in 07 Honda was very specific about the frame recall. Since then more 1800’s have had more cracked frames in various locations. Traditional cracking around the upper shock area is associated with overloading but that decision will be up to Honda. I say give it a try. The dealer will want to take pictures and contact American Honda. It’s their call not the dealers.

#14 ·
Thanks trike lady for posting the recall. Yeah these cracks are in the totally different locations but I will check with the dealer. I would think that would be a tough go. I have an aftermarket shock back there probably a lot of wiggle room to get out of it.. RedWing52, looks like my cracks are in the tubes behind the swingarm. Say just under the battery box the tube is separated from the casting about an eighth of an inch Beyond. I didn't check the other side but I will tomorrow. Had to walk away ;-) Have another small crack in the top tube above the battery maybe about an inch long.. is it as if the rear portion of the frame is being pushed up broken away from the bottom and compressing the top. I think you're totally right, best way to solve this is to weld it repair it. And have some more metal down there and make the whole structural little stronger. gusseting like you say. Attempted to post some photos but unsuccessful. need to figure out how to do that.
Get This thing repaired .Then take another long ride

#17 ·
I feel your pain, as last year went though same with my then new-to-me-2004.
I got mine fixed quite reasonably by a local welder (specializing in frame repairs)... Honda would not touch it (5-different dealers would not even "Look" at it, because if they did then they would be responsible for the "Safety-Related-Repair")

That said, with 350k miles on your bike, I'd say that it's not worth the effort to repair.

#18 ·
just my 2 cents, but

Why not just get a new GL1800? New frame on a 350K bike! That's a ton of work, which I would do personally if it made sense, but with this mileage wouldn't you need to change about every other part you would remove?

I just checked my local Craig's and just down the street from me is a very well kept 2001 for $7200 with 48K miles, new tires and very nice. Pretty bike! It's been listed for 2 months, so I imagine $6K cash would take it tomorrow. I live in the sticks, so likely you can do even better in your locale.

If it's a sentimental thing, you can take a few parts off yours and put it on the new bike. Give yours a backyard burial and dig into it when you need parts!

I teach project management and one thing we teach is to make a decision in the present that reflects the best decision today, that will affect your future. The past is sunk costs and irrelevant of today. Though, I am a sentimental guy when it comes to classics.

I have an '84 GL that I would never replace. But it is my second one, because restoration of my first one, I bought new in the day, was not worth restoring to me, 20 years ago with some rust and clogged carbs, when we were about to move cross country. My replacement bike has under 30K miles and if it had 10x these miles, I'd be looking for my 3rd GL1200. I love my new one, better than the original, every time I ride her!:nerd:

#22 ·
The good news is you found the cracks, good job. Now to step two; Try to get Honda to do a repair. If they fail to satisfy you with a repair or possibly a new frame then you still have the same options. 1. I vote for a repair at a quality welding shop, hopefully by a welder certified in Tig. Then you asked about the 2nd choice getting a new frame, this has hidden problems. The neck stem on the Wing has a metal label with the Serial No of the frame. This number is identified on your registration, owners certificate and insurance policy. To swap a frame you may need to hack saw the neck off of the current frame and bring it to your local Motor Vehicle or State Trooper to document destruction of the frame. Then you need to provide various documents to the same folks plus insurance and probably to the dealer that originally sold the bike. The documents will provide evidence from the manufacturer of the new frame ID number to replace the old frame. You may find a used frame but I believe the paper work gets more involved if the frame is not from a manufacturer. If Honda does the frame swap then they handle all the documentation with no effort on your part. When a citizen tries to do the same vehicle frame conversion then the system is expecting the citizen to be dealing with stolen property and they drag their feet expecting to find a fly in the soup. Good luck with the repair. I truly hope that Honda steps up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.