Rear brake failure - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Model: 85 aspy
Goldwings are a,heavy Bike. They are not a sport bike. Not meant to be riden like one. Just enjoy the Beauty set the dragon has to offer places where you can pull over and enjoy the scenery that God has put on this great Earth of ours. Not criticizing you each their own. Too many accidents on that road look up the statistics. And see how many bikes they take up off that Highway each year. As far as your brakes go used. For and I don't skimp on brake fluid I use the best there is or at least what I'm told is so just make sure you're buying a well name brand. Just my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Year: 1995
Make: Aspencade
Model: '95 Aspencade 207,245 miles 8-19-19
Peter I have ridden the Dragon many times very fast, never had a hint of brake failure. You want to ride like that, you MUST service your ride. Change the brake fluid on a regular basis. (not every 4 years)

Tony D
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Tell that to the LEO when he pulls you over. Then prepare to lighten your bank account.....!!

I seem to remember there have been a few fatalities on the Dragon. Can you say rider error.....??

I guess you never rode a mountain road. if you did you were probably the only doing the speed limit. It's not only mountain roads and motorcycles, have you been on the streets or highway lately? Hard to find lonesome keeping within the speed limit.
Peter Goldwing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I guess you never rode a mountain road. if you did you were probably the only doing the speed limit. It's not only mountain roads and motorcycles, have you been on the streets or highway lately? Hard to find lonesome keeping within the speed limit.
I grew up in a state with many mountain roads and ride them a lot. I have ridden in all the lower 48 many times on back roads and highways. I have even ridden the Million Dollar Highway in CO, Bear Tooth Pass and the I-5, I-405, I-101 and such.

But thanks for trying to "assume" how I ride....!!

I also have LEO family members.....!!

Have you ridden much on the east coast, its a little different than your west coast....???
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
The bike was two up ,loaded with long trip stuff.
In getting to the Dragon from the Tennessee side I used the brakes quite a bit.
We were 3/4 thru the Dragon when the rear brakes got next to useless.
The aggressive ride became a Sunday driver ride, as I had only front brakes.
After about an hour at the bottom of the hill I checked the brake pedal again and I had the pressure back.

The failure most likely was caused by the high temperature of the brake fluid.
Last time the fluid was changed was about 4 years ago and I used fluid supplied by a motorcycle dealer.
Should I change the fluid in the system ?. What type?
Is it normal for the brakes to fail due to excessive usage?
TY
I rode the Dragon once, realized right off that it was at best, a hyped up dangerous roadway open to the general public frequented all too often by dangerous riders wanting to play "Randy Racer" & too often in over their heads. We have better safer rides locally. Then we checked out that flea, mosquito, tick & fungus infested dank motel, and got a refund on the room, and went on to Robbinsville.

You obviously over rode the road and the bike, we call it "brake fade" when too much braking exceeds the brake's ability to kill speed by converting it to heat. Often that heat causes the fluid & any moisture in it to boil. As a result, you loose braking as the pedal turns to mush. You can loose seals too. Brand new fluid wouldn't have hurt, but I doubt that it would have helped much either. Did you use the front brake system before the loss of rear brakes, or just because of the loss? 4 years you say? You can change it anytime now.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
Well Peter, I've got to ask, did you have fun???
dingdong and Peter Goldwing like this.

Charlie
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL 1800
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Did you use the front brake system before the loss of rear brakes, or just because of the loss? 4 years you say? You can change it anytime now.
I use both sets most of the time, but they linked. I think the back with one in the front

In those 4 years I put about20-30 K on the bike. Im no expert but I dont think the brake fluid should be changed very often. Heck I put 200K a on a car and never change it. (relax, its not your car, for the ones that are ready to jump on my head)
Come to think of it the fluid change was done by the dealer upon the brake recall.
However Its time for all fluids change, minus antifreeze.
I change that every 250K

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
I use both sets most of the time, but they linked. I think the back with one in the front

In those 4 years I put about20-30 K on the bike. Im no expert but I dont think the brake fluid should be changed very often. Heck I put 200K a on a car and never change it. (relax, its not your car, for the ones that are ready to jump on my head)
Come to think of it the fluid change was done by the dealer upon the brake recall.
However Its time for all fluids change, minus antifreeze.
I change that every 250K
You just gotta stir the pot. don't ya?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Me thinks a full service of your brakes is in the near future..."Near" meaning like now!

Sounds to me like you were over accelerating in the straightaways and having to brake excessively entering the curves. Practice makes perfect!!!

Tom

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL 1800
Next time I go to the Dragon ill put the bike in the first gear all the way down so all of you can say WHATABOY

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page