Ticking Sound- Back of engine or rear end... GL1200 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Aspencade
Garage
Ticking Sound- Back of engine or rear end... GL1200

Hello all!
I recently brought my '86 gl1200 to a honda dealer to have them put new tires on and do a little carb work.

Since getting the bike back, a ticking sound is present. The only time it happens is when I am going 60 mph (~3000 rpm) or so and begin slowing down for any reason. As I let off the throttle, just before the throttle gets to idle, a ticking sound happens. If I close the throttle quickly, it'll tick for a fraction of a second, but if I try to keep the throttle in that position, again while slowing down from 60 mph (~3000 rpm), just above idle, the ticking will last about a second. It does also occur very briefly when I close the throttle to shift gears.

I can feel the vibration from the ticking through the footpegs clearly and it seems like the sound is coming from the back side of the motor or maybe even the rear end.

I took the side panel off and it seems like the driveshaft is seated well. The clutch currently seems to be functioning properly. It accelerates fine and goes down the road fine...

I have another issue with some substantial loss of fuel mileage (15-20%) after doing some major work over the winter (stator change) that I'll post in a different post. I don't know if there's any connection with this issue.

As I said, this issue started when I got the bike back from the dealer after having them put on new tires...

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Keep the shiny side up!
TK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Toolcraft4100

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: '91 Aspencade
The rear wheel would have been removed and replaced and at least one muffler would have been removed (I think) to install a new rear tire. So I would put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel and see if you can hear, see or feel anything. If nothing is detected, remove and reinstall the rear wheel and see if that clears it up. Also confirm that the muffler was reinstalled correctly, it could be an exhaust leak.
redwing52 and TK24 like this.

toolcraft4100
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Put it on the center stand and rotate the wheel. Do you hear any odd noises?
redwing52 and CrystalPistol like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Maybe that's where that 10mm went?

Or maybe you're just hearing the fuel pump in an otherwise quiet setting?

However, a vibration in foot pegs leads me to think maybe it's just time for a front U-joint? In which case, you can pull the rear wheel & final drive while inspecting the U-joint. If you pull it, have a manual handy with order and torque values for reassembly.

Bike...and Dennis likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK24 View Post
Hello all!
I recently brought my '86 gl1200 to a honda dealer to have them put new tires on and do a little carb work.

Since getting the bike back, a ticking sound is present. The only time it happens is when I am going 60 mph (~3000 rpm) or so and begin slowing down for any reason. As I let off the throttle, just before the throttle gets to idle, a ticking sound happens. If I close the throttle quickly, it'll tick for a fraction of a second, but if I try to keep the throttle in that position, again while slowing down from 60 mph (~3000 rpm), just above idle, the ticking will last about a second. It does also occur very briefly when I close the throttle to shift gears.

I can feel the vibration from the ticking through the footpegs clearly and it seems like the sound is coming from the back side of the motor or maybe even the rear end.

I took the side panel off and it seems like the driveshaft is seated well. The clutch currently seems to be functioning properly. It accelerates fine and goes down the road fine...

I have another issue with some substantial loss of fuel mileage (15-20%) after doing some major work over the winter (stator change) that I'll post in a different post. I don't know if there's any connection with this issue.

As I said, this issue started when I got the bike back from the dealer after having them put on new tires...

Any ideas what could be causing it?
I wonder about the speed of the clicking. If it seems to be one to one with the rotation of the wheel I would look at the drive coupling to be sure it got Moly lube put on the splines. That will make a click that you can sort of tell it is in time with the speed of the tire.
If it is way faster than the speed of the tire it might be diveshaft related.
Do a good visual as Dennis and Toolcraft mentioned first.
Any dealer should certainly lube that spline but if you got a lazy mechanic.... you never know.
Dragging the brake while holding the throttle steady have any affect?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z.jpg (83.7 KB, 7 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Model: 85 aspy
I take it you did not have it B4 you took it in for the new tire? If you did not have B4 I would take it back to them and have them listen to it and fix it they might know what it is right away since they worked on it last. Just a thought
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Put it on the center stand and rotate the wheel. Do you hear any odd noises?
I did that and didn't notice anything odd. The wheel seems to spin freely and there weren't any odd sounds.

Keep the shiny side up!
TK
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I wonder about the speed of the clicking. If it seems to be one to one with the rotation of the wheel I would look at the drive coupling to be sure it got Moly lube put on the splines. That will make a click that you can sort of tell it is in time with the speed of the tire.
If it is way faster than the speed of the tire it might be diveshaft related.
Do a good visual as Dennis and Toolcraft mentioned first.
Any dealer should certainly lube that spline but if you got a lazy mechanic.... you never know.
Dragging the brake while holding the throttle steady have any affect?
It is quick ticking... Tough to tell if it is 1 to 1 with the rotation of the wheel. My ears aren't tuned that well! Would what you describe result in a constant ticking or only in what I am describing? It only ticks when I am letting off the throttle for a split second right before the throttle goes to idle. It doesn't do it when I am opening the throttle. Only when I'm closing it and only for a split second right before the throttle gets to idle...
I can try dragging the brake and holding the throttle later.

Keep the shiny side up!
TK
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by highriderzr2guy View Post
I take it you did not have it B4 you took it in for the new tire? If you did not have B4 I would take it back to them and have them listen to it and fix it they might know what it is right away since they worked on it last. Just a thought
Correct. It started after the dealer worked on it. I may end up doing that but it is such a hassle bringing it there. They are about 40 minutes away and to be honest, I haven't been that satisfied with my interactions with them...

I moved to southern Wisconsin a couple years ago and am still searching for a good shop to bring the cycle to. I try to do as much work on it myself as possible but I am not a mechanic. Since there was a Honda dealer, I figured that was the safest bet but then you also pay dealership prices $$.

Keep the shiny side up!
TK
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Model: 85 aspy
True. I just thought take it back to them . You sat it does it right B4 it goes to idle when you let off the throttle correct? I know on my wing and mine is a 85 GL 1200 that when I let off the throttle it will snap hard back into place and I will hear a click and it's the linkage being pulled back hard and fast I don't know if that's what you're hearing. And I'm not a motorcycle mechanic either LOL I am a maintenance engineer and very mechanically inclined but not with that much on the gold wings these are a great group of guys and they'll help you figure it out if they can they've helped me a lot but I was wondering if possibly it wasn't the throttle you're just tearing on the carburetor hard to explain hitting the stop hard. How to reread your text but did you say you're feeling it too in the foot Peg and if so how severe are you feeling it

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page