Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

starting issue

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  captdecker 
#1 ·
Re: 1989 GL1500 On the way home from a trip, I stopped for gas and she wouldn't restart. I got her jumped, and rode until gas was needed again, again a jumping got me home. I have replaced the alternator. Put the battery back on and tried to start. I got all the lights, nice and bright until I tried to start her. There was a small clicking sound, lights dimmed and she wouldn't crank. The battery read about 6 volts after the try. I removed the battery and it read 12+ volts. Reinstalled and tried again. Same thing. WTF? Suggestions?

#4 ·
Be sure the battery terminals and the cables going to it are bright shiny clean, a corroded connection can do this.

If that doesn't help, take the battery down to your local auto parts store and have it charged and load tested.

#5 ·
Yep, ,if you're getting 6+volts with a "load" (starter pushed), your coils won't fire juice to the plugs. Those coils ALWAYS need 10.5+ volts to get the plugs enough power to fire correctly.

Once you get a new (AGM preferably) battery, there is a very cool modification to the coil wiring on here that will help keep those coils firing hotter than the OEM wiring. Its under a thread titled something like, 1500 won't start until release of start button.

#8 ·
Yep, ,if you're getting 6+volts with a "load" (starter pushed), your coils won't fire juice to the plugs. Those coils ALWAYS need 10.5+ volts to get the plugs enough power to fire correctly.

Once you get a new (AGM preferably) battery, there is a very cool modification to the coil wiring on here that will help keep those coils firing hotter than the OEM wiring. Its under a thread titled something like, 1500 won't start until release of start button.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...500-starts-after-releasing-button-solved.html

#7 ·
He said it read 6 volts "After" the start attempt, but 12+ volts after battery removed. That's what led me to the corroded connection statement. Still likely to be a junk battery though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.