Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

92 valkyrie

13K views 107 replies 17 participants last post by  doubleminded 
#1 ·
I( have a real nice 92 interstate I intend changing to a Valkyrie.A nakedized wing more or less.The frames are way different.Rather than try to fabricate a tank cover, sidecovers etc I thought about buying a Valkyrie frame and using a clip from it.They are not expensive.I did not know if the suspension would work.I think if I cut the Goldwing frame at the neck and welded the clip in place I would retain the vin and make things easier. False tank covers rather than doing al that I am not sure.The keith wright wildwings kind of is the idea.I think a real gas tank and relocating things might be the way to go.The valk topframe would make that easier.This is going to be a very custom bike.I wil spend probably a year doing it.I will be selling all the plastic. Its blue btw

#5 ·
thanks for the input. I once owned a 98 Valkyrie tourer.I liked it.But I could not, or should I say did not ride it safely.It was so fast many times I looked down and was going 110.Plus the 6 carbs and high compression got me 28 mpg.I don't want to have a powerful bike and have to ride it at 60 mph to get 30 mpg.My invented valk would not be as fast.I hate the Goldwing weight.I love the bike, just hate the weight.There is no way to tone down a Valkyrie that I know of.

#8 ·
thanks for the input. I once owned a 98 Valkyrie tourer.I liked it.But I could not, or should I say did not ride it safely.It was so fast many times I looked down and was going 110.Plus the 6 carbs and high compression got me 28 mpg.I don't want to have a powerful bike and have to ride it at 60 mph to get 30 mpg.My invented valk would not be as fast.I hate the Goldwing weight.I love the bike, just hate the weight.There is no way to tone down a Valkyrie that I know of.

There is a way.....Wrist Action......:ROFL:

#6 ·
why is it nobody on the Goldwing page ngw has a problem with dedressing a Goldwing.ngw site.there is an audio clip dragon's motorcycles of a 1500 made into a café racer.I wish I could share it here.

#7 ·
I looked closer.no way to do what I am talking about.the 1500 wing has a lot of flat slab like framework.the Valkyrie is tube like.If I could figure a way to get rid of an honest 100 pounds off the bike that might be enough to make me happy.removing the trunk doesn't help much.removing it and the saddlebags leaves a lot of ugly things exposed.I tried selling the bike.I have received no calls.

#11 ·
Here's a different version why not make a GL1500 F6B. Just like the 1800 version only a 1500. Remove the trunk and put a filler over it with a rack and passenger backrest and a shorty windshield. It will be one of a kind and no one else with have one.

#12 ·
crystal pistol and trike lady.f6 B.Geez.awsome simple.Way cool idea. Shorter matched shocks? I didn't know that was possible.I am not sure what part number or identification but that is also awesome.Yall are geniuses. I knew I was on the right page. Thanks sooo much. I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

#19 ·
that's exactly the look.for 127$.I can cut mine for free.But its good to have a second choice.I have many questions.I hate texting and bugging people.Taking off the trunk and passenger swingout arm rests plus the humongous markland boards took off about 60 pounds.so the rear end will have less wind drag, but the front is way too heavy.Inside the fairing are many things I can remove.Like I never will have a cb or intercom.So maybe a pound there.what all is so heavy inside there.I have now had 7 1500s, an 82 and 2 78 wings.Of course the oldwings were easy to nakedize. I wonder why none of the 1500s have fork seal leaks.Is it the frame mounts for the fairing that are so heavy.the center console? what is it? Probably some things are not removeable.If I had nothing inside the shell would that lose the weight.Mine is the interstate so no reverse gear,cruise control, snd I don't think they came with an air compressor.I loved the taillight link.It will look they were always there.I suppose a Dremel to cut the holes.I do not want to take the centerstand off, but that probably is 15 pounds.All input is appreciated.

#20 ·
The fairing house the headlights, speakers for the radio, a wiring harness, electronics, headlight adjuster, gauges and vents. The radio is in the center console and a gas door, under all that is the air filter.

#22 ·
Re. the Valkyrie you once had....it's not a high compression motor. And....if you only got 28 mpg it needed attention. I have a '98 Tourer decked out similar to the Valk Interstate(HD fairing, trunk off a GL1100, bags, radiator pods), running at/above 70mph loaded I'll get in the mid-30s all day long on the superslab. On the country roads where you can only run 55-65 I've been able to hit 40mpg. In fact I got 32 pulling a trailer running around 73.

A year ago I completed a rebuild of a basket case '84 Standard 1200. The tank had more holes than metal so got tossed and I adapted a Valkyrie Std. tank to it. Fairly simply, just takes a little welding and "ingunuity," plus I mounted it with a hinge at the back so to access the fuses, filter, etc., just remove the front bolt and tip it up. The frame on that was also round tubing, you just work around it. Got ride of the OEM shocks that kept you in nosebleed height and used 12" for a Valk, fit fine. Was a fun project, just take a long look at what you have and experiment. You've rec'd. some good suggestions already.

#23 ·
While I welcome suggestions and comments some of your comments I dislike but still welcome them for whatever help they give me.On my 98 Valkyrie tourer, getting 28 mpg.There was nothing wrong with it, it did not need attention.Anytime on any forum someone says their mileage is low people say well that's not right, theirs gets such and such.Most times a carb cleaning is needed to remedy the problem.Not with my Valkyrie.How do I know.It held 6.1 gallons.The first day I got it it was full from the dealer. I had ridden for several miles,hot rodding it.I had gone from a 750 shadow. I ran out of gas at 99 miles.I assumed the bike was messed up, called the dealer and was angry.My wife brought a can of gas.voila.Problem solved. The most I got was 32 riding in a normal manner. secondly yes I could possibly put a valk tank on.the frames are totally different.I am not going to do that.I could buy another Valkyrie first.I was trying to make a f6b thanks to trike ladies suggestions.lastly, yes I have been given some good suggestions.There is not a limit how many I can be given as far as I know.Trike lady knows all the stuff I needed to know and most likely way beyond.I did not know what is inside the fairing.Now I know.Not much weight contributing gear inside it.So probably other than stripping it down and fitting a valk tank no more weight will come off.The frame differences between a Valkyrie and Goldwing 1500 are too vast.What you did on your bikes is very impressive. I am 70.My first Goldwing was an 88.I was about 55 then.I never really noticed the weight that much.Now I do. Please do not hesitate to offer your suggestions, typing does not reveal any moods or emotions.I am more disappointed I cant get more weight off than I am complaining.If my comments make you think I am asking for too many suggestions, I am sorry.

#28 ·
Now that the radio is gone, there's a filler panel that goes in there on the center console. Unless yours had the radio in the left side of the fairing. To fill that void there's a plastic pocket with a snap cover.

#34 ·
I found a Valkyrie frame and had that idea.it would not be less work.trike ladies idea is much better.rather than buildinga entire bike starting with an untitled unvinned frame, merely take a running existing bike and modify it.the black and red f6b that came out years ago has always been one of my favorites

#35 ·
whats your opnion.i know you might not like either version.when I cut the tall windshield to about 10 inches, should I make the cut arclike mimicking the original curve or go straight across as I saw denny berg do the cobra custom goldwing

#37 ·
I'd go with straight across as it will look like the $127.00 one.
I'm not impress with the Cobra Goldwing, still looks like a GL1800, but yours when done will be a GL1500/F6B. You can also remove the covers on the motor and show the stuff that most of us want hidden.
Well now I know, you like the F6B and you'll make your own version.

Attachments

#38 ·
2 things.first of all thank you for your suggestions.the red and black bike you inserted is motorcycle perfection in my opinion. mine will never look like that because the 1500 styling is so bulbous and gargantuan.But I can get her dieted down somewhat.
second, and not necessarily lastly I haven't got my manual yet.I prefer paper versions.The engine cover removal,not sure where the dividing line is on the covers., but definitely will do that.I don't want to start dremeling virgin abs.the manual will show me. I have a guy who is a pro painter that owes me for a bmw flying brick I sold him.He will do the painting. what I liked about berg's wing was the cutdown tourpack.I cant imagine how a person can section out abs and get it all glued back together and make the closure halves fit right.But I am going lengthened seat and no tourpack anyway ala f6b. I hope the wires that open and close my saddlebags are available.I broke mine. p.s. I just ordered that windshield you linked to me

#43 ·
#46 ·
those pictures are killing me.keepem coming.I think with the aft seat extension there will be very little to cover.The lid idea is a good one.I also have a sheet of abs to do something with.One of my saddlebags cables stuck out enough to open the left one.the right one is inside,no idea what I will do about that.The leverhandles attached to the cables that open the bags I will affix somewhere to continue their use.not sure.this is a blank sheet of paper.I want to dehump the seat.thos bike pics are the one thing I did not like, was the humps.I want more of a gunfighter narrower profile seat like the f6b,maybe even a bit narrower in front.Most people may not like what it looks like when I am done but its my bike and if I like it that's perfect. p. s. school me.you probably only dealt with the 1800s but on the 1500 there is little engine exposure to be attained.the side panels are blended into the hugely wide dash and all the air conditioner vents etc.I don't see a line where I can cut and expose more engine on the 1500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.