Im going to keep it on my Bucket list........... 13 23.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Thumbs up Alaska - Group Trip - 2015/2016

This came up in another thread and of all the threads that I have read anywhere on the internet it seems the majority of the post are ones like mine, "Wish I could go", "Trip of a Lifetime", "Bucket list item". I for one, am sick of typing those words only to go back time after time and read them to myself again.......... Well....... Never again!! How about you?

Lets start planning an "Alaskan Group Trip". If we start now, those that want to can start putting money away for the trip, can start getting supplies as needed (New Birthday, Christmas, Mothers day and Fathers day ideas).

I suspect, if there is interest, there will be two different groups, the 14 day group and the 30 day group. Personally, I wouldn't think of making the trip unless I could take a little time and relax the way I would like to, but I am fortunate enough to be able schedule my time that way. I'm sure others and retired folks are the same way. People who have full time jobs may not have but a couple of weeks to make the trip due to work restraints or finances.

So lets throw this around a bit and see what it takes to plan a Group trip!

Suggested date: June or August of 2016. June may not be the best month due to weather and roads but based on many threads I have read, weather can be difficult any time or great anytime, flip of a coin. June, for the most part, you need no advanced reservations whereas July August is when the No Vacancy signs come on and never shut off, even Camp grounds. What you say?

Halfling posted a few questions in a post HERE. I say there should be no limit to how many can come. Staying in a group should be no issue if everyone rides to the letter of the Law (or within reason). If there is more spirited people in the group....... Well..... Have fun........ But I suspect there won't be many more than 10 to 15 in each group at best.

Wife's?? I wouldn't dream of doing a ride like that without my wife unless she did not want to go. I say come as you want, wife, Kids, animals........ Sheep, They are on your Wing, Not mine......... I don't care.

Route?? I think to be fair to everyone, we draw the line from the farthest southern point, The Keys in Florida, plan the quickest route (which will be highways) to Anchorage Alaska TO START with. I emphasis to start with! For many reasons. As the time nears, we can fill in the route with meeting places to pick people up as we cross the countries.

Supplies? The great thing about a group ride is the ability to help each other in the event help is needed. I would think (you tell me), if a couple people who had the parts could bring a Rear tire spare and a couple other people brought a front tire spare (Rim and all) then those supplies would cover the group in the event that someone has an issue. Versus Me having to carry two spares. tools, electrical supplies etc,.... Split it up and and share if needed. However if you use a tire, you must replace the tire with like kind, during the trip.

How much would this kind of trip cost?? Those who have done a trip might chime in on that. What are gas prices, food prices in BC or Alaska. I have read that they were about double for Gas and 2.5 times for food......... I like Roman noodles myself........

Who's thinking about this??

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
I'm in for 2016 although I think I could pull off 2015 if others could! Let's see what others may think on that...
  • My wife would be in as well as long as she wasn't the ONLY female on the trip.
  • We would be in the "camping contingent" with the occasional Motel as needed to keep the wife happy.
  • I'm for taking the 30 days option, if it's planned this far out I can "probably" get it on the books, they won't be real happy but I think it's doable.

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams

Last edited by Halfling; 06-28-2013 at 05:34 PM.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I had to put a year on it, I could be good for 2015 as well, beyond that, our bikes are going to have to many miles to make the trip. My wife is undecided, and thats ok. I gave her 26280 hours to think about it and let me know. I did give her the option of flying out as well, flying out and riding back or my favorite, ride out with me and fly back......Thats probably the one that will save the marriage.....

I posted a Poll for the year.

Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
This sounds like fun and is one of my future trips. I would need to start laying the foundation at work to get 3 weeks possibly 4 weeks off. I would love to travel to Alaska and camp along the way. Just happen to have a nice Aspen that is ready to make a trip like that. Lets keep this dream alive.

Don (Parman)

"Sappers Lead the Way"
US Army (Retired)
101st Airborne Division (Ft Campbell KY)
1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 1500 SE
Mileage: 103472

2010 GL1800
Mileage: 3604
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Model: 86 Interstate
Garage
Count me in, I picked 2015 just because I will be turning 50 that year. I will be starting my plans for the trip now. This will be one sweet ride.

No matter where your at, there you are !
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 1800 nav/xm
Garage
2015 better start saving the green stuff now and hide it from the wife. speaking of the other half, is it a solo ride or can we bring spouse?

sanity,
2012- 1800 white the fastest color, why else would they call it white lightning?

2012 xl1800 timeout cargo trailer

2014 roll a home wide

2017 africa twin
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
2015 better start saving the green stuff now and hide it from the wife. speaking of the other half, is it a solo ride or can we bring spouse?
I agree with jobe05 and we have invited the wives (or anyone you want), I also liked his idea of traveling across the U.S. lickity-go-split and maybe flying the wives in to somewhere in the north west to ease their pain a bit. The wife kinda liked that idea when I mentioned it over dinner last night.

Maybe we should sign a pac or something!?!?! Only those REALLY serious need apply! Be a shame to do all this advanced planning and then everyone back out at the last minute. Thoughts?

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfling View Post

Maybe we should sign a pac or something!?!?! Only those REALLY serious need apply! Be a shame to do all this advanced planning and then everyone back out at the last minute. Thoughts?
Might be early for that, although not a bad idea, anything can happen in 2 years to anyone. And we need all the input from those who have done this, in order to know what to do/expect/plan for.

I for one, would like to know first just what the cost of such a trip would be so I can start putting money aside each month. I did a quick check on Gas and I suspect in my Est., 12,000 mile journey, I will go through:
$1800 in Fuel,
$120 in Oil Changes,
Hopefully no tires but still would but at least $500 away for it and other maintenance "Just in Case" things that may come up.
I would estimate $75 per day (Averaged) in Food and Drinks, $2250. Average $25 in Camping expenses lets say every other day assuming we share a site $375,
and add a couple of hundred (Maybe $400) for hotels when the Ladies arrive or bad weather prohibits camping.

So Im up to roughly $5500.......... Guestimate, Probably on the low side. $7000 is probably the minimum to get there and back in 30 days.

What say you?

Honorary Rhino.......

post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 03:11 AM

Model: 1800
I made that trip from Spotsylvania, Va. to the Artic Circle, Alaska, back in 2009, I think. It cost me roughly $7000, took five weeks, covered over 13,000 miles, was on a ferry for three days(that save me about 1,000 miles of riding). I did camping, stayed at motels, and ate one good meal a day. Fortunately, no breakdowns, one tire, and four oil changes, also one of my few trips with no wrecks. It was the thrill of a lifetime, and glad I did it, although riding to the Artic Circle, while exciting, I don't care to do that ride again. That road will beat you and your bike up!!! Good luck to you adventurers. This trip was made on my VTX 1300

I like my Trike....also have a 2008 Honda VXT1300
also have a 2003 Honda GL 1800
also had a 1987 Honda Gl 1200
also had a 1986 Honda Sei1200
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Garage
Sounds like it would be one heck of a trip. Wish I had a full 30 days to do it with you all. Maybe I could do the one way up here.. and then ride back home after work, lol at least I would not have to sit in a plane for 6-8 hours to get back to work.

I have ridden from AK down to NM before but never up to AK. If I may make a few suggestions though, I would depart mid July though that way you get better weather, usually late July and August are the rainy months up here in AK. Also to make Fairbanks your first destination in AK rather than Anchorage. That way anyone that needs maintenance done can get it done ASAP. Plus I have friends that have a garages, tools and plenty of space for tents and what not, who would welcome us with open arms. I also have a fellow Goldwinger that I grew up with whom lives in Talkeetna and has plenty of space for some tents and would be happy as heck if a bunch of Wings pulled into his drive.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Heck, I am getting amped up just thinking about it!

ESSAYONS!!!
Darksider #1288
Previously Owned:
\'70 Honda 50 mini trail bike
\'75 Can Am 175 TNT
\'77 Yamaha XS750
\'77 Kawasaki KE250
\'88 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
\'83 Honda VT750 Shadow
\'89 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
\'02 Honda GL1800 (current ride)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page