The loneliest road in America???? Us rte 50 Nevada - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes
  • 3 Post By Bike...and Dennis
  • 1 Post By dingdong

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
The loneliest road in America???? Us rte 50 Nevada

We are planning a ride to the Pacific NW, Oregon and Washington, this year from Oklahoma. I am thinking of riding through Utah and across Nevada as we have ridden the southern and northern routes. My question is: Has anyone been across Nevada on US 50? Looks like it is 400 miles of emptyness. Almost all desert with a couple of mountainous areas. I enjoy the emptyness of the desert so that won't be a problem. Anyone?

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
back in 78-79 I used to fly an airplane on the job in the area depicted below.

I can tell you, that from 500 feet above ground, which was my favorite altitude because I was able to really enjoy the terrain over which I was flying.. getting there fast was not the object.

Barren is as perfect a word as you can use to describe that area.

I hope you are pulling a trailer with you,
you will need some basic stuff to protect you just in case you have an unwanted stop.

• SPOT 911 Satellite Transponder with the Helicopter insurance package. I renew that every year.
  • Set up the profiles on SPOT so that as many phone numbers as needed will be able to receive the little updates that are so easy to do with SPOT. I have two canned messages.
  • 1) Start of Day: or if 2nd today, just a rest stop or fuel up.
  • 2) End of Day: All is well, through for today
  • Space Blankets: invaluable in case you need to stay warm
  • Water
  • Warm clothes for night wear
  • Blankets
  • Pad for the ground?
  • tent?
  • Spare gas can, I have a 1 gallon in the right saddle bag.... if a trailer, carry a 2 gallon can. Nevada is a very lonely place if you are walking.
  • Food: I carry packaged snacks, protein bars, Cheese/Bacon Crackers, Tuna pkgs ready to eat, I don't mess with condiments they are too messy
  • Camera/Cellphone
  • Charger for same
  • Bungee cords in various sizes
  • ANKER cellphone recharger kit, mine is the 25,000 size, cost $80 bux but has been a real Stress Reliever for me. I use it constantly when I leave the house for more than an hour..... it will slip in your jeans pocket and keep your phone going if necessary
  • Slime Air Compressor ( it is very tiny but works ) or equivalent
  • Tire Repair Kit, never used mine, but if I need it, got it
  • Battery Tender? yes, it is very small to carry, and it has got me out of a jamb twice over the years.
  • Frogg Toggs
  • Half Cover for bike, I also have a worn out full cover that is very thin, I put it on over the half cover if I have to leave the bike for an extended time. Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
  • Cable locks. 2 of them, 1) bike, 2) trailer tongue
  • Spare tire for trailer
  • If a trailer, carry a spare tire for the bike? No tire shops in Nevada unless in a major town, and not very many of those.
  • Maps and GPS ha ha ha, a hand compass is neat also, but the cellphone can do that job.
  • Spare fuses for the bike
  • Tool kit? I carry one
  • a small package of insulated wire, just in case, packs so flat you won't know you have it, but.....
  • Cheapo HF type DVM/voltmeter, tiny, if you loose it, so what
  • if you don't want to spring for the SPOT, you definitely MUST buy an ePirb at a sports store... if you get hurt, you need help now, and the ePirb will usually get a helicopter to you in 60 to 90 minutes.
  • Wallet with Citizenship papers? ha ha ha... you need heavy Rubber Bands for that wallet. I use the #60 size, and put 3 of them around the wallet. 2 of them inside to keep the credit cards, Drivers License, etc from sliding out of the inside pockets.... and once you fold up that wallet, wrap the 3rd rubber band around it to keep it closed. Staples them, etc...
  • Rubber Bands around Wallet: cheapest Anti-Theft insurance you can buy: a thief cannot slip the wallet out of your pocket w/o you knowing it. The rubber bands drag heavily on the pocket liner and you will feel that tug. Taught to me by a Security Expert 50 years ago.
  • and of course, your bathroom kit, comb, razor, toothbrush, mirror??, etc.
that is what I carry, YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: png Ely to Baker NV.png (97.0 KB, 12 views)

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:39 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Been across 50 several times, and have a pin to prove it.
Mostly good road and light traffic but not the loneliest by far.

Branching off of 50 is NB Rte 305 up to Battle mountain. Or, farther west and again off 50 is NB Rte 447. Either of those will be truly lonely if that's what you seek. They also will connect with other roads that will get you into central Oregon.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
back in 78-79 I used to fly an airplane on the job in the area depicted below.

I can tell you, that from 500 feet above ground, which was my favorite altitude because I was able to really enjoy the terrain over which I was flying.. getting there fast was not the object.

Baron is as perfect a word as you can use to describe that area.

I hope you are pulling a trailer with you,
you will need some basic stuff to protect you just in case you have an unwanted stop.

• SPOT 911 Satellite Transponder with the Helicopter insurance package. I renew that every year.
  • Set up the profiles on SPOT so that as many phone numbers as needed will be able to receive the little updates that are so easy to do with SPOT. I have two canned messages.
  • 1) Start of Day: or is 2nd today, just a rest stop or fuel up.
  • 2) End of Day: All is well, through for today
  • Space Blankets: invaluable in case you need to stay warm
  • Water
  • Warm clothes for night wear
  • Blankets
  • Pad for the ground
  • tent?
  • Spare gas can, I have a 1 gallon in the right saddle bag.... if a trailer, carry a 2 gallon can. Nevada is a very lonely place if you are walking.
  • Food: I carry packaged snacks, protein bars, Cheese/Bacon Crackers, Tuna pkgs ready to eat, I don't mess with condiments they are too messy
  • Camera/Cellphone
  • Charger for same
  • Bungee cords in various sizes
  • ANKER cellphone recharger kit, mine is the 25,000 size, cost $80 bux but has been a real Stress Reliever for me. I use it constantly when I leave the house for more than an hour..... it will slip in your jeans pocket and keep your phone going if necessary
  • Slime Air Compressor ( it is very tiny but works ) or equivalent
  • Tire Repair Kit, never used mine, but if I need it, got it
  • Frogg Toggs
  • Half Cover for bike, I also have a worn out full cover that is very thin, I put it on over the half cover if I have to leave the bike for an extended time. Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
  • Cable locks. 2 of them, 1) bike, 2) trailer tongue
  • Spare tire for trailer
  • If a trailer, carry a spare tire for the bike? No tire shops in Nevada unless in a major town, and not very many of those.
  • Maps and GPS ha ha ha, a hand compass is neat also, but the cellphone can do that job.
  • Spare fuses for the bike
  • Tool kit? I carry one
  • Cheapo HF type DVM/voltmeter, tiny, if you loose it, so what
  • if you don't want to spring for the SPOT, you definitely MUST buy an ePirb at a sports store... if you get hurt, you need help now, and the ePirb will usually get a helicopter to you in 60 to 90 minutes.
  • Wallet with Citizenship papers? ha ha ha... you need heavy Rubber Bands for that wallet. I use the #60 size, and put 3 of them around the wallet. 2 of them inside to keep the credit cards, Drivers License, etc from sliding out of the inside pockets.... and once you fold up that wallet, wrap the 3rd rubber band around it to keep it closed.
  • Rubber Bands around Wallet: cheapest Anti-Theft insurance you can buy: a thief cannot slip the wallet out of your pocket w/o you knowing it. The rubber bands drag heavily on the pocket liner and you will feel that tug. Taught to me by a Security Expert 50 years ago.
  • and of course, your bathroom kit, comb, razor, toothbrush, mirror??, etc.
that is what I carry, YMMV
You should add a roll of toilet paper to this list. You never know...

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have all of the stuff listed and it fits in the bike...
the trailer makes it easier to splurge

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 06:16 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
It's not Mongolia, John, it's Nevada.

All you need is a cell phone and a Gatling gun.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
LOL!!!! Really looking for road condition and perhaps info on things to stop and see and fuel availability. Got all the rest covered John. Including the gatlin gun....
AZgl1800 likes this.

Tom

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:08 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500SE1X
Hwy 50 is not that lonely. Ely, NV to Fallon, NV is about 255 miles. Eureka, NV is an interesting little town, with fuel, about 75 miles west of Ely. Then Fallon, NV which has a lot of services and then your home free. The time of the year might be the most important factor. If you come out of Cedar City, UT and take Hwy 56 to Panaca, NV, you can gas up at the Shell there. About 3 miles up the road is Cathedral Gorge SP which has nice camping and interesting geography. About 10 miles north of that is Pioche, NV. It is an old mining town and still very active. They have a good restaurant there. From Pioche to Ely is about 110 miles with a steady grade just after the 93,50,6 Junction called "Majors Junction".
Ely has quite a bit to offer. From there you either head west on Highway 50 or follow Highway 93 north to Wells,NV and I-80.
Depending on your timing and interests, Baker City, OR hosts the Hells Canyon Rally this July 12th through the 16th. Great riding, fun rally and you can camp at the Baker City High School field for $30.00 total for 4 nights. They open the high school gym for showers and bathrooms. A great bunch of people and the town goes all out for the rally each year. Check our their website.

Have a great trip!

DT Walker
1999 GL1500SE 59K
2008 Road King 140K

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
Everything has been covered above, but I've done the NV section of the 50 several times and I enjoy the open spaces as well. The elevation does get up there a ways, so if it's inclement weather it can get chilly even in the summer. Gas isn't a problem...just top off at each opportunity.

Ely is a good overnight stop...I like the historic Hotel Nevada...very quaint and the downstairs restaurant is surprisingly good. No TV or phones and parking is a bit on the rustic side, but usable.

A riding buddy I know decided to see of he could travel between two of the small towns and average two miles a minute on his Kawasaki. He was doing pretty good until he approached the outskirts of the second town. The speeding fine was heavy, but the officer under-wrote the ticket to avoid having to haul him in to jail. Thank goodness for small favors

Dan & Jo Ann

I'm not superstitious, but let's face it...you'd have to be crazy to ride without a Gremlin Bell!.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Year: 1995
Make: Honda (of course!)
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Been across 50 several times, and have a pin to prove it.
Mostly good road and light traffic but not the loneliest by far.

Branching off of 50 is NB Rte 305 up to Battle mountain. Or, farther west and again off 50 is NB Rte 447. Either of those will be truly lonely if that's what you seek. They also will connect with other roads that will get you into central Oregon.
I'll second Dennis' observations..... pretty accurate from my rides out of LV......

Rick Sheeley/King Gypsy
East Coast,USA

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.." - Stephen Hawking

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page