Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trikes, Trikes, Trikes!

825 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dadztoy 
#1 ·
Hi Y'All,

I've been browsing the new Goldwing listings on EBay for a month and notice that it seems half (or more) of all new listings are trikes. Since it seems there isn't nearly that proportion of trikes in the overall Goldwing population, are people just getting tired of their trikes faster than their 2 wheelers? Or is it due to something else? I'm just wondering since I've always considered getting a trike once I get a bit older, but I'm worried that I may not like it after buying it (i.e., too much like a car).

Maybe I need to rent one sometime and try it out. Does anybody in the Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee area know where to rent a trike? I've only seen them before offered in big cities nowhere near me, and I'm reluctant to take it out on a major highway immediately until I get the hang of it.

#2 ·
I doubt that it is that the majority are tired of them or don't like them and it is my theory that whatever health issue or disability that persuaded them to get a trike in the first place has either worsened or was bad enough to start with to keep them from using it much.
I love my trike but if it starts sitting most of the time because I am unable to enjoy it, it will be for sale.

#3 ·
I doubt that it is that the majority are tired of them or don't like them and it is my theory that whatever health issue or disability that persuaded them to get a trike in the first place has either worsened or was bad enough to start with to keep them from using it much.
Agreed. Or a loved ones decline.

Riding a trike takes some getting used to if you have only riden a bike. Best way to get used to it is go to a big empty parking lot and throw it around in low speed maneuvers for a couple hrs. Figure 8s, big and small circles, zig zags, hard braking, straight and sliding using the brakes. It's similar to riding the old 3 wheel atc of the 70s and 80s. Once you learn the capability you can play and have fun. But first you need to learn your capabilities as well as the trikes.

#7 ·
The Goldwing type associations that publish magazines are continuing to cater more and more to the Trike crowd, which leads me to believe 'Wing riders are aging as a group. I'm sure Honda recognizes this as a serious problem to be dealt with and that's why we're seeing sportier versions of the 1800 based bikes emerge.

#8 ·
Yes the wings have been known to be riden more by the elders and more looking for comfort in long distance riding right from 1975 and more so in 1980 when Honda started offering the fairing and bags.
The trike market came more full bore in the past 15-20 years as more companies offering kits have emerged for the wings allowing more disabled folks to ride longer in life.
But there are those of us younger crowd that think we aren't old yet that are enjoying the comforts of the wing and have fun playing too.

There aren't many of those sportier versions on the road as yet. I've seen the price dropping on the F6B as there hasn't been the expected sales.
Hopefully Honda will be coming out with an updated full wing this next year run.

#9 ·
I agree with Stu... I am an older "younger" rider (68 this year) and I went a slightly different route... I bought a Tow Pac last year and I'm having fun with it... The nice part about the Tow Pac is the easy on - easy off arrangement... Takes me about 10 minutes or so to get it on or off...

It is a bit different than a regular trike primarily because the bike is not raked and steering effort in turns is considerably higher than a regular trike with a conversion, but it's doing what I want it to...

The old legs are losing some strength as is my upper body, so if the wife and I are going on a trip pulling the trailer, I'll probably elect to put the Tow Pac on... Gives us both a little more "peace of mind"...

The other nice thing about it is the price... Mine was $3K + 400 for paint as opposed to $10-$15K or more for a regular conversion... Yes, there are pros and cons for both, and you have to decide if going the Tow Pac (or trike) way is for you, but it's working rather nicely for us... Just a different way of doing the trike thing... ;)

Les

Land vehicle Vehicle Scooter Motor vehicle Car

http://www.towpacusa.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.