post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Silverfox

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Quote:
I too watch through other vehicles and I watch the wheels. Another thing is my head almost never stops turning looking up driveways and cross streets. I miss a lot of scenery but al of this has become habit.
I couldn't agree more with this one. I too am watching like a hawk as much as possible, in every direction, since you never know where the danger might come from. This has many times averted an incident, which if I hadn't had almost a 6th sense about might well have resulted in a prang. I possition myself carefully on the road, moving more to the centre if there are turnings to the side of the road and by the same token closer to the nearside if I am entering a blind corner to our off side, but only if the nearside is clear of driveways or road junctions. I never ride fast in built up areas, but usually stay wellbelow the posted speed limit. Only on open roads with good visibility will I open the throttle.

In England we have many roundabouts and whilst they do serve to keep traffic flowing well, they can be particularly hazardous, as folks may miss you in the flow of traffic, therfore I always assume that every driver has not seen me and is going to pull out on me.

Yes, I too miss much of the scenery on a ride, but I would rather arrive safely at the end of my ride than get carted off to a hospital and miss it all. My paramount concern is the life and well being of my passenger, who is more important than me and should have their trust respected.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome