Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Plastic Carb Button Repair

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Bronko37

Model: 1976 GL1000
Plastic Carb Button Repair

Well here we go. I am sure every one is tired of hearing all the ways to "patch" these buttons. Well, I am developing a permanent solution. I am going to fully machine out the button and machine a new button to adhere to the remaining section that will stay rolled in the cap. There is no reason to remove that section as it is supported by the rolled metal any way. I have created a fixture that will allow me to hold the cap without damaging it. I machined a pilot bore to mate with the pilot diameter of the CV cap. I machined the pilot diameter to the same sizes as the carbs to create a mounting surface identical to where the cap sits on the carbs. Here are some pictures of what I have so far. It would be cool if we could make this a sticky while I go through the process. I will keep you updated and take pictures as I go through the entire operation. I am experimenting on one. If it works out, which I know it will, I will do my whole rack. I reverse engineered the broken cap button so I will be able to make it exactly like factory internally so we dont corrupt the vacuum. I also think Im gonna do the buttons in Black so you know they are custom. Let me know what yall think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carb Button Repair 002.jpg (166.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Carb Button Repair 001.jpg (100.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Carb Button Repair 003.jpg (150.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Carb Button Repair 004.jpg (190.2 KB, 179 views)

If you go fast enough your never in one spot long enough to get hurt

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome