Day 2 -- Caps are easy to smash
Well day 2 went well until I destroyed my cap. I got a little carried away with the dead blow seating the new button into the cap. However, I did come up with a solid plan. Good thing I purchased an entire second carb rack so I have 3 more caps to play with.
Once I fully removed the original button I determined that there would be enough "meat" left to make a cap out of aluminum and give it a .001"-.002" press fit. Then, once the new button is installed I will cut the external profile in the fixture that I made on the lathe.
Here are some photos of my progress. Also, what not to do as I completely smashed my cap, lol.
I was able to check how well my button was adhered and check that the vacuum port was working properly so it is not a total loss.
If you go fast enough your never in one spot long enough to get hurt