Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - GL 1200 Odometer removal and motor test

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
OldieGoldie
Mark

Model: 1977 GL1000
GL 1200 Odometer removal and motor test

On my 84 Aspy, the odometer did not work. The trip odometer worked and the speedometer worked so I knew the sender on the front wheel was working.

I had to check the odometer.

Here is a step by step removal and testing procedure for the odometer and the Stepper Motor that operates it. It takes three to four hours or longer depending on motivation and number of wobbly pops involved, but I recommend taking your time. There are lots of parts and wires and a delicate circuit board. It is also a good idea to take notes, draw pictures, or take photographs especially if you are not going to get this all done in one day.

Because I am limited to 25 images, the last part of this will be in a second thread.

Remove the mirrors by peeling back the rubber boots and unscrewing the bolts. Remember which bolts go where. I have replaced my 84 mirrors with 85s so yours may look different but the bolts will be in the same place.

The front trim piece is removed by inserting a screwdriver between it and the headlight and lifting/prying. There is a rubber piece between it and the windscreen that sits on the top of it.

Remove the plastic trim piece below the headlight.

Remove the two 10 mm bolts holding the bottom headlight bracket in place.

Remove the two 10 mm bolts holding the upper headlight bracket in place. The manuals all say to remove the headlight. I have found that you can leave it hanging and work around it.

Remove the two middle bolts holding the windscreen. Only loosen the two outboard bolts. Lift the windscreen out along with the rubber gasket behind it. Make sure the two middle bolts have spacers on them as this keeps them from crushing the windscreen. They are still available if yours are missing. Google the part number from the parts manual.

Remove the speaker panels. Mine are broken so they have screws in them. There is a rubber grommet behind the Honda label and two snap brackets on the upper and lower inside corners. Remove with care.

Remove the four screws holding each speaker and

Unplug the speaker wires – they are sized so they can not be mixed up.

Pull the radio out by undoing the key lock.

Gently lift the cowl off the instruments and…

Disconnect the clock wiring harness.

At this point you can check through the speaker holes and see if the outboard windscreen bolts can be removed so you can take off the metal windscreen holder. It is more convenient to work if it is removed.

Look behind the headlight for the two lower instrument panel 10 mm nuts. Do not get them confused with the two screws back here that hold the fairing to its frame. The left hand nut is easily removed.

The right hand nut is easily removed with a small ratchet or flex driver by manipulating the headlight.

Pull all the instrument wiring harnesses out and unclip them all. If I remember correctly there are eight. They are all different colors and sizes so they can not be confused when you go to re-connect them so there is no need to identify them. Separate them so that the clips ends going to the panel are on top and the clip ends coming from the fairing are on the bottom.

Locate the upper left hand nut holding the instrument panel and remove it. It is located behind and left of where the wiring harnesses were.

The upper right hand nut is almost impossible to see but with careful manipulation of the headlight and an extension on either a small ratchet or a driver, you can remove it through the access hole in the fairing. It is mostly a “by feel” thing to remove it and replace it.

Now you can pull the instrument panel forward a few inches and disconnect the two 10 mm nuts holding the instrument panel to the radio bracket.

Carefully pull the wiring harnesses free of the access hole in the fairing.

Place the panel face down and remove the four nuts holding the bracket. Remove the bracket.

Locate the four screws holding the lens – two on top and two on the bottom - and remove them and then slide the lens off.

Locate the two screws holding the odometer and remove them.

Locate the two screws holding the Stepper Motor in the odometer housing and remove them. Place the odometer aside for cleaning. You can test it by operating the long shaft gear with your finger. It only turns one way. Check for worn gear teeth where the Stepper Motor engages it. Clean it with electrical contact cleaner.

The Stepper Motor.

Remove the plastic cover on the wiring harnesses on the back of the panel and clip the wire tie.

See Part Two

Mark
84 GL 1200 Aspencade - Restored and on the road
80 Suzuki GS 850 - Waiting to be restored
85 750 Nighthawk SC - Sold
81 GL 1100 Standard - Restored and Sold
76 GL 1000 Yellow Dressed - Restored and Sold

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome