Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - To part out or not to part out...that is the question....

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
AirCutoff

Post imported post

slickster wrote:
Quote:
I have an 80 1100 wing....runs ok, looks decent but needs some TLC to be nice....been asking $1000 for it....can break it down and part it out....seems that the total sum from parting it out is around $1000 or more.....takes more time and effort....any ideas/opinions?.....Mick
Careful what you wish for - confish86 summed it up pretty good! Parting a bike is a LOT of work. From tear-down and catalog, to storage and photos. Eventually advertising and selling which usually involves FeeBay plus associated costs/time, payments, UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.

Some folks do it well and thrive on it and I'm always very grateful for the various good bits I need to keep hauling. I witnessed a friend parting out early 80's Voyager and grossed over $3k. Easily $2k or more than any offer he'd received for the complete bike. Trouble is - see 1st paragraph.

'Might try a couple small orphan items laying around, multiply that by 100 or more and see if it may work for you?

best...

Past bikes in no particular order -

65 Yamaha 80
67 Yamaha 305 Scrambler
71 & 75 HD Sportster
75 HD FLH
72 Suzuki T500
74 Suzuki GT550
77 Suzuki GS750
72 & 81 BMW R75/5, R100RT
83 Yamaha XT200

Current bike: