History/geography lesson - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

Ok, so there are people from all over the world that frequent this site. I need to learn about other places. If anyone is interested in learning a tadbit about my corner of the world...

History
As was common in Oregon pioneer days, post offices for locations would move with each new postmaster, and it wasn't until the later 1860s that the Cottage Grove post office arrived at its final location, in the extreme south west of present-day Cottage Grove. When the Southern Pacific Railroad built their line through the area, they built their station more than half a mile to the northeast of the post office, starting a bitter neighborhood disagreement. Since the inhabitants near the post office would not allow it to be moved next to the railroad station, a post office was established near the station, called Lemati, after the Chinook word lemiti for mountain. In 1887 Cottage Grove was incorporated as a city, but the eastern community still used the placename Lemati intermittently until both communities were merged in 1898.

In 1926 the spectacular locomotive crash from Buster Keaton's The General was filmed in the countryside, and the wrecked train became a minor tourist attraction until it was dismantled for scrap during World War II. Parts of the movie Animal House were filmed in Cottage Grove, and the 25th anniversary of the movie's release was celebrated August 30, 2003 by the citizens with a toga party on Main Street. Main Street is where the climactic parade sequence from the movie was filmed.

(I was at the toga party, but only looking through the chain link fence. Too cheap to buy a ticket...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

That is one very nice post, ubarw! I really like the way you did the links. All was a very good read. I love reading about where people are from and seeing pictures. Great Job!

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

Well, thanks for the kudo's, but it was just a cut and paste from wikipedia. The links came with...

I mean, Thanks! I spent 14 hours on it!

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:41 PM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

ubarw wrote:
Quote:
Well, thanks for the kudo's, but it was just a cut and paste from wikipedia. The links came with...

I mean, Thanks! I spent 14 hours on it!

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page