Are there any Goldwing AND Brass Band fans on the forum today? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hello UK Goldwing riders.
My wife and I are planning to visit our granddaughter in Kingston on Thames this summer and are hoping to also attend a brass band contest while we are in England. Anyone out there familiar with the championships in the last of June? My understanding is that the site is guild Hall, Preston. I am a retired Texas bandmaster and am looking forward to visiting the UK for the first time. I'd love to hear from anyone with informaton or observations on our plans.
Thanks,
Lee
1977 GL1000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Just bumping this back to the top ...Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Hi Muser 3, we are about 10 miles south of Kingston upon Thames.... lovely spot for you to stay. I am not familiar with the brass band contest in Preston, but am not all that surprosed that it would be held there as it is the heart of brass band country.

I will do some digging about to see what I can find that may be of interest to you.

I was a drum major in a Sea Cadet band in my youth, and loved it. Won a few competitions back in the day.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Garage
Post imported post

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Uk+...art=0&sa=N

Don't know, but I hope this might pove a useful link to info about UK brass bands muser3

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the comeback Pete. We had hoped that the late April/early May contests in Birmingham would work out for us, but it didn'so we're going for the late June dates. Could you please tell me where Preston is? My GB maps are really not that good. glad to hear you had experience in the band. There's nothing like it as far as I know and lots of happy kids and adults are a result from the movement.
Thanks again,
Lee
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Post imported post

muser3,PRESTON, is in Lancashire,north west ,England, about 20mls from my home, and with out doubt the brass band centre of the worldonly joking, because all the proper brass bands come from Yorkshire Halifax, brig house, etc, if you need any further help please ask!!!!, if you are stuck i will meet you and take you to the guild hall all the best pp

Graham nsu quickly, suzuki 50, yamaha fs1e, yamaha 250yds7,
triton 750, trident750t150, norton commando 850 roadster,
honda750 f1, honda 750 f2, honda gl 1100, bultaco 250, kawasaki 500 h1, jpn commando ,25yr gap
2001 gl 1800 love it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks kindly for the informaton, Pinkpork!
As time draws nearer for our trip I will indeed have questions. We will most likely stay in Kingston upon Thames. About how far is it to Preston from there? We will use public transportation if at all possible.
Kindest regards,
Lee/muser3
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Preston is a fair way from Kingston upon Thames, but probably not a problem using public transport, since you can easily get to Central London from K.u.Thames.

We tend to gripe about the high prices of any public transport, but to be fair the trains do provide a decent network and if you are not committed to travel in rush hours it is easy enough to get around on.

Having got up near to Preston, you might be wise to take Pink Porks offer of chauffeuring you to the Guild Hall, since local public transport can be more sparse and not geared up for distance travellers with suit cases etc. ( I apologise in advance if Preston has some wonderful transport network, that the rest of us don't!!)

I certainly wouldn't complain about going to see some of our brass bands, they have a good reputation of being some of the best in the world and of course have a great heritage.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 AM

Post imported post

i would have though in your current climate foxy that anything brass might have fallen off.........

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page