I really wanted to ride today. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

The brisket has been on the smoker for about an hour now. Got the fire started, up to 200 degrees, water in the pan for steam. Rodent rubbed dry rub on the brisket last night and now I just have to babysit the fire. Five or six hours from now I'll take it off the flame and head over to the kid's house. Celebrating the DIL's birthday today. I can still get some hand-work done on the bike, but can't really leave the firebox or the heat gets too high or too low.

Oak for the fire. Throw some apple and rose prunings on too, they make good smoke. A lot of people don't realize the importance of good wood to smoke with. Pine is too sooty and smokes too much. I like hickory and alder, even mesquite, but I have come to really prefer oak over time.

If they're smart they'll be getting the cast iron our and getting some ovens going with my beer potatoes. (Better be my recipe!) They don't take as long to cook and I can almost bet they won't cook enough of them. Never any leftovers and this stuff always tastes better tomorrow.

Going to be a long slow day. I'm sure I'll be re-visiting this in a while.

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Post imported post

Instead of water in the pan use apple juice (not cider) It'll add that same hint as the apple wood does. You'll be pleasently surprised at the great flavor it adds.

Don

Please help keep the Cancer Candle burning!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yeah, was going to do that but didn't have any to hand. Finally got to the part where the fire sits about 200-225 degrees and needs to just smoulder. Dog keeping me company but keeps wetting the chopping block I use to split the oak. Not sure if he's expressing an opinion or trying to tell me it's his.

Sun decided to pay me a visit and keeps peeking from behind the clouds. Low 50's today. Cool ride, but would be nice. I think the kids are going to owe me on this one.

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Yellow '02 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Last trip out to the fire I noticed that the dogs that live on both sides of the house have taken up positions staring into my yard through the fences. They must smell more than the smoke I smell. My white-faced, red-headed dog has taken to following me around but I suspect that the reason for that is I've been eating some peppered beef jerky and he thinks I'll share. (Yeah, I will.)

One would think I would learn to get my head down when I open the top of the firebox. Face full of smoke almost every time. Then I sit in a chair next while I poke and prod the coals and add more oak. Threw a big chunk of greenish apple wood this time too. Lot of the fat on the top of the brisket has self-basted the meat while it's cooking. (Small peek only...) Brisket is up to 140 degrees - 20 degrees to go, then just let it slide until I want to take it off the smoke.

I smell like a campfire and I need a shower. Maybe cut my hair too. Oddly, smoking this brisket is more satisfying than either of those tasks. OK, maybe this isn't a bike ride, but I still like doing this. Lazy way to cook. Start a fire. Lurk on these forums. When the heat is right, put the meat on. More surf and lurk. Adjust the dampers, add some firewood. Lurk. And surf. Add some chunks of oak. Lurk. More lurking. Blather in this thread. Babysit the fire some more. Lurk.

I would bet if I set an alarm clock I could sleep between adding the wood. (Yes, I can and have done this, easy bet to win.) Since I am home alone today, and the friends I have are on here, I guess this is as close as I can get to having a get-together today. So, pull up a chair. Something cold to drink? Something hot? I think I'll grab a diet soda out of the fridge. (Nice to have a spare fridge sitting out here. Keeps drinks cold without taking up space inside.) Have a recipe to share? I'd love to trade. Makes it more fun for me.

Yellow '02 1800
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page