Handicapped Tags for a Motorcycle - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Here's something to ponder.....Last week while on patrol at the mall parking lot, I saw a Harley sitting in a handicapped spot....This is nothing unusual in one respect as the mall has no motorcycle parking spots.....And a lot of bikers park in the cross hatched areas at the ends of these handicapped spots....OK I'm out of my vehicle about to write this Harley rider a $250.00 ticket, when I noticed his license plate.....Sure as God made little green apples........it was a state issued handicapped tag, all legal.....Had the wheel chair in the center of the tag, just like the cars and was stamped "handicapped".

So being naturally curious about that tag I made my patrols and watched that Harley.....This guy comes out of the mall and goes to that Harley, I went over and asked how he got it...He said that two years ago he was hit on the right side by a car..Messed up his right knee, and after a knee replacement surgery, he felt he could ride again buteven afterthat surgery, too much walking put a strain on his right knee......So he had his Doctor fill out the paper work and now he has a closer walk into where ever he goes..... Also said he has one on his truck too......

Now that has me wondering since we have to park, as employees of the mall about three city blocks from our office, and being a heart patient, I wonder if I can get my Doctor to fill out that paperwork ???? Then I would only be less that 50ft from our office........not three city blocks

Claude

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Post imported post

I worked with a guy in Colorado who had the blue plate...his back was such that, while he could walk normally, he was extremely limited with distance. While I was always skeptical...I must admit, he did seem genuinely regretful that he had to use that blue plate...

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Post imported post

I have a placard that I've threatened to use a time or two. Our van has the handicap plates for my wife or me. Funny being able to ride but not walk any distance does get you looks. Little things called asbestosis, T4D exposureand bad kneeslimits how far I go at a time on foot. If I had to pedal the wing I'd park it. Gets to where I can't put my feet down I'll get training wheels or a trike. Luck of the draw Claude but don't they recommend walking for heart patients? Keno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Model: Goldwing
Post imported post

My Doc has offered me one at least 4 times Keep turning him down!!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Location: Fromerly-Rhode Island. Currently, Kansas City KS USA
Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing SE
Post imported post

redbaron wrote:
Quote:
Here's something to ponder.....Last week while on patrol at the mall parking lot, I saw a Harley sitting in a handicapped spot....This is nothing unusual in one respect as the mall has no motorcycle parking spots.....And a lot of bikers park in the cross hatched areas at the ends of these handicapped spots....OK I'm out of my vehicle about to write this Harley rider a $250.00 ticket, when I noticed his license plate.....Sure as God made little green apples........it was a state issued handicapped tag, all legal.....Had the wheel chair in the center of the tag, just like the cars and was stamped "handicapped".

So being naturally curious about that tag I made my patrols and watched that Harley.....This guy comes out of the mall and goes to that Harley, I went over and asked how he got it...He said that two years ago he was hit on the right side by a car..Messed up his right knee, and after a knee replacement surgery, he felt he could ride again buteven afterthat surgery, too much walking put a strain on his right knee......So he had his Doctor fill out the paper work and now he has a closer walk into where ever he goes..... Also said he has one on his truck too......

Now that has me wondering since we have to park, as employees of the mall about three city blocks from our office, and being a heart patient, I wonder if I can get my Doctor to fill out that paperwork ???? Then I would only be less that 50ft from our office........not three city blocks

Claude

I don't want to cause any offense, but I'm curious Redbaron, if you're mall security patrol, how are you able to hand out $250.00 tickets?
I'm a law-abiding citizen, but I've had a couple of run-ins with private security types.
Both in the same place, for the same offence. I drop my wife at the supermarket door, this is a run in and out..I'm sitting with the motor running and the wannabee cop tells me I can't park in a fire lane, to which I reply,"I'm not parked, this is called STANDING". If the fire trucks show up...I'll be glad to move!I'm then told I have to move. I told him to call a cop, and he went away,with a bruised ego

Scott
1990 GL1500A
1982 GL 1100I "Phoenix"
1984 VF 1100 Magna (rocket ship)sold
Road Captain,CMA Chapter
God\'s Posse
Luke 19:10

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 AM

Post imported post

"I don't want to cause any offense, but I'm curious Redbaron, if you're mall security patrol, how are you able to hand out $250.00 tickets?
I'm a law-abiding citizen, but I've had a couple of run-ins with private security types.
Both in the same place, for the same offence. I drop my wife at the supermarket door, this is a run in and out..I'm sitting with the motor running and the wannabee cop tells me I can't park in a fire lane, to which I reply,"I'm not parked, this is called STANDING". If the fire trucks show up...I'll be glad to move!I'm then told I have to move. I told him to call a cop, and he went away,with a bruised ego"

I also work in the private security industry at a shopping center. Some shopping center can write bonifide parking tickets. I was able to at the last place I worked. I even had one guy tear one up thinking it was a joke, but when the state suspended his license for unpaid parking tickets he wasn't laughing.

And why is it that people have to give security officers so much grief in the performance of their job? When people aren't following the rules, they call us rent-a-cop and such, but let them actually need help then it's "sir". If you can't treat security officers with some respect then stay home. end of rant>

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together!!

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Rick S wrote:
Quote:
If you can't treat security officers with some respect then stay home. end of rant>
I have no problems with mall security, but I do with malls. Ain't nothing there I want.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
I have no problems with mall security, but I do with malls. Ain't nothing there I want.

I doubt they have a large selection for a ferret anyway, and they also have pest control at most malls, so I doubt you'd be welcomed anyway. I mean, when was the last time you were in a mall and seen a "Ferrets R Us"?

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

I have no issue with any legitimate handicapper using the designated spaces, no matter what they drive. What burns me is that most malls designate far too many of these spaces, and they sit empty most of the time. But frequently they are occupied by someone who is using a handcapped persons car but are not themselves handicapped.

Oh yeah, the other thing that burns me are those people who think they are above all the regs and just park or sit at the entrance or in the fire lanes.

Other than that, I rather enjoy the opportunity to walk a few hundred feet--good for the heart and soul.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Model: Goldwing
Post imported post

here you can steam over this guy..... his living depends on tourists yet to me he's thumbing his nose at them!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01847 [640x480].JPG (57.8 KB, 86 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page