Need a new printer - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I need a new printer. Ink jet or laser???

The one I have now is a Dell 962 All-in-onethat is giving me an error code of 1203. I can't get it to clear the error. It's something to do with the copper leads in the color cartridge. I've been told I can cover these leads to get rid of the error message but won't have a color printer, just black. I'm fine with that for now. But how do I cover the leads??

I need a copier & scanner too. Unless I could keep this one for that.

I've looked at http://www.newegg.com and they have some good deals. But if I buy one I should get one where ink is readily available, (Walmart?) I think Walmart handle's HP. Any others?

Are the cheapie printers just a good as buying an expensive one? Seems to me I paid good bucks for this Dell. And now it's toast...

Don

Please help keep the Cancer Candle burning!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Post imported post

I would go laser, we have two, the quality of the printing is a 1000 times better than ink jet. The consumables whilst more expensive last a long time, we are currently using the Epson AcuLaser C100 N.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I recently ended up with a HP C7280.

It is an all in one with WiFi which might be handy for you if you got more than one computer/laptop in the house.

I bought it at OfficeMax and took their warranty package. If it breaks for any reason, even if I drop it. They will give you full value to replace it.

Mine is an inkjet. The black cartridge cost me $19.85 plus tax last week to replace. I do a lot of printing, and I think the laser cartridges last longer than inkjets. The quality is ok, can't complain.

The reason I changed over from laser to inkjet was the cost of replacing the laser cartridge. $130 !!! But it was good for about 18 months worth of printing. That is about 5 reams of paper for me or 2500 sheets.

The inkjets are lucky to print up a full ream of paper on one cartridge. So, the cost is the same, you just replace them more often.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

You might try covering the leads with some scotch tape.

In my printer, I just removed the color cartridge completely and print with out it. I get a constant error message but it still prints.

The reason I removed mine is I normally don't use color and the color ink is more expensive, and my printer doesn't have a setting to use black only. So when printing black it uses the color ink too.

In most cases the ink is the most expensive part of the printer. They could give away the printers for free and make a fortune in profit off the ink.

Depending on your needs for printing, a laser printer is much higher quality, faster and overall a much better printer. The negatives to a laser printer are that you lose the capablity to print in color. You lose the capablity to print photographs.

However, if you are printing large documents, in most cases a laser printer will print much faster.

Years ago I had a laser printer. It held up very well for a long time, but when it finally failed, it was not cost effective to repair.

Most printers for home use are not cost effective to repair, consider them throw away items.

Also most printers are rated in estimated pages per month usage. The printer I have now is so cheap, it didn't even havea rating.....

Jim

Beware, I'm a known thread hijacker.

'96 GL1500 SE
Honda Riders of Tidewater -- Former Chapter President

My personal webpage:

Desert Storm Veteran USS Pensacola (LSD-38)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I should have mentioned that my laser printer is still just as good as it ever was. Fast, perfect for doing a lot of work. It has two paper feeders and together it holds 500 sheets at one loading. I loved it for production work.

But it just isn't cost effective to feed it new laser toner cartridges. Lexmark replaces the complete laser engine with each new toner refill. Great way to maintain quality, hell on the pocket book.

That is why I went for a cheap do-it-all box. Fax, scanner, color printer.

Anybody want a nice production capable Lexmark laser printer? It was brand new in 1994, still prints like brand new (when it has toner in it

~ John

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Post imported post

A lot of people think a laser printer is more expensive than inkjet. In reality its the other way around. A $100 toner cartridge will outlast many $25 inkjet cartridges.

John

John
1996 GL1500 SE
Past bikes
1985 Aspencade 1200
1978 Honda GL 1000
1974 Honda 350 Four
1974 Yamaha TY 250 Trials
1973 Yamaha 360 RT3
1971 Honda SL 100
1968 Honda Trail 50
3 1/2 HP mini bike
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page