Anyone got Nextels "Direct Connect" or Sprint's "Ready Link"? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Post imported post

Anyone got Nextels "Direct Connect" or Sprint's "Ready Link"?We could use it and cll itWe Could call it "Steve Saunders GoldwingInstant Phone Network"! I have had this for 2 years, and after I lost my old cell, they sent me a hybrid, with either one on it.I believe Nextel should be the choice, but we could let the majority rule, or have simply 2 groups.Eitheris fine with me.

What you think?

Nightrider1

P.S.

It also would be great on the road, where CB''s jujt dont go the distance, this is ALSO Nationwide,at thepush of a button, for only $5.00 Per month, Unless you got Sprint'sSimply Everything Paln, for $99.00 per month.. I just got Sprint's everything 450plan.A fantastic idea.

You meet the best people who ride a Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

We used to use the PTT feature here at my work place. I absolutely cringe everytime that friggin triple beep goes off.

We got rid of them. They are intrusive on personal privacy as all you hear all day long is that beep-beep-beep. I wouldn't turn mine on.

If they want me, they can call me personally. The company switched over to straight Verizon about 4 years ago.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 AM

Post imported post

Yeah, we had them at work. It was good for work, cutting back on the cell bill for communications. But since we all carried our phones home, it was almost like being on call.

I grew to hate it. I havent have PTT for 6 years now, but every time I hear one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

My wife and I have had personal PTT radios for about12 years, she and I both carried one for the past 5 years for our employeers.....We had our house phone disconnected now for 4 years, don't miss it either....We give out our PTT number to only people we know, and our PTT number is the same...Family, a few friends and our Dr.s offices......If mine goes off in the middle of the night it best be Fire, Flood, Or Blood....If not you best wish that there was.........

Claude

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Guys,
I have never used it, mainly I have never known anyone who has had it.I just thought it might be a good Idea for the forum, especially for people like me who cannot get nothing in the rural area's except dial up, and then you have to pay for the Skype, and when you send and recieve on dialup, it is so intermittent, much is missed?? I appreciate the replies.
Sincerely,
Nightrider1

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

David, I am not using Skype's pay service. I only use the free service but that requires each user to be online.

I have found Skype to be intrusive a lot of times. I'm busy with something else and the Skype window pops up at the "wrong time". So I have it marked "offline" most of the time.

I am fortunate to have wide-band cable internet service. I can well remember when dial-up 13.6 khz was the best you could hope for on a "good day."

QWEST just sent me a flyer in the mail. They are offering optical wide band now, guaranteed to be 13 mb faster than Cox cable. Hmmmm, that would give me 18 mb service .

I won't be buying into that offer. Qwest is never able to provide what they advertise. At least not in my neighborhood

~ John

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I called our cable company, and they said they could run it if I picked up the rental modem, but their "free" 90 day service would have cost $120.00 plus some odd cents after I read all about it. Cannot afford to go that route, Especially when I only use my computer for email and the forum. I cannot afford another bill as of yet. I wish I did not have to have this cell, but I have to have it if I am out and have a "problem" . My doctors office, Son, and some friend's usually are the only people that call me on it, but for me, it's been a unreplacable tool.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

I agree with John. I carried a Nextel for close to 5 years while I was a supervisor for a satellite installation company. EVERYONE had my contact...and my phone would start chirping at 6am and normally didn't stop until around 11pm or so.

Then I'd have the occasional tech who would chirp me at 2am as he was leaving the bar to ask me what I was doing...

Then I moved to an area that didn't have Nextel service at all. BLISS!

Down here in Tulsa Nextel is pretty popular, and I find that I glitch every time I hear that [email protected] chirp again.

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

This morning when I posted about my wife and I having nextels and not giving out our nextel 2 way number or the phone number, I didn't mean to sound abrupt, but I was in a hurry to get to work...Ok the main reason I don't give my 2 way number out is I don't have "nationwide" calling, and if I beep you in where ever, I'm charged 10 cents a min I talk.....Nightwizard and I have talked on the 2 way a couple of times, and you would have thought the world had come to an end the way the Boss jumped me about the charges.......I have been thinking about getting "nationwide calling" but then I would have to sign a new contract and pay extra for what few people I know with nextels....

When my wife and I worked for her former employer it wasn't too bad, unless we had a job going that needed after hours supplies....Working in the retirement communities as a supervisor, I let everyone know up front that if I got a call after midnight it best be Flood, Blood or Fire....But I added if it was a true emergency call me..I was called at all hours of the night by employee that didn't get relieved, or were sick needing to get off early , to one that called me at 3 am, to inform me that the "hants' ( ghosts) wouldn't let her in the office????22 miles later I find an officer setting outside the office with her bible in hand and wanting to go home because myother night officer had told her if she seen some one walk out of a wall or walk thru a cold spot, it was that old people that lived there had died and had unfinished business to finish.....Regular night officer had to work a lot of over time to cover for other night officer who quit....I told him no more ghost stories and if he did the only ghost running around there would be him !!!!!!!

And yes I jump too everytime we are eating, or what ever and a nextel goes off....

Claude.....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Model: GL1500
Post imported post

Hey!! not my fault you got the cheap plan!! Mine is a company phone with the nationwide and all the junk that they got.

Served 823rd RED HORSE Unit \'83-\'88 USAF
\'Semper Ducimus\'
Red Knights Alabama Chapter 2
"Loyal to our Duty"
PGR Alabama Div.

1983 CX500 Custom
1981 GL1100 Standard
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page