Planning my trip...Fort Wayne, IN to Vegas to San Diego back to Fort Wayne - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999 & 2005
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500A Black & GL 1800 MAHroooon
Garage
Post imported post

I am planning a trip to Las Vegas and San Diego in July of 2009. Truckin' Tim and I are going to ride from Fort Wayne, IN to Las Vegas (I'm bowling in the USBC National Tourney). From Vegas we are going to ride to San Diego to see Tim's son (who is in the US Navy)and daughter in law. I was just wondering, since I have yet to leave the state on my wing, if 3 weeks would be a accurate time frame for this ride?

I would appreciate any input...thanks in advance

DD & da Boiz
God is great, Beer is good, & People are crazy!
Every day above ground is a GOOD day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

According to Google Maps, it's about 2200 miles. You didn't say how many days you wouldn't be travelling, so it's hard to figure, but just figuring 5 non-travel days, that's only 275 miles a day for travelling. Pretty easy travel days. Last September me, NaturallyGW and exavid travelled together to Calhoun Georgiafor the forum rally. NGW and myself from Port Orchard, Washington and exavid from Medford Oregon. That was over 7100 miles round trip on the route we took. We spent 3 days in Calhoun and were gone a total of 16 days. We averaged around 500 mile days or a bit more. Three weeks could easily be enough for your trip. I would do a lot of local riding beforehand though, to condition yourself. Wouldn't hurt to take some shorter long trips too, like a couple hundred miles, to make sure the Wing is running well as well as conditioning yourself. 4400 miles will be a lot of riding if you are not ready for it.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999 & 2005
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500A Black & GL 1800 MAHroooon
Garage
Post imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:
According to Google Maps, it's about 2200 miles. You didn't say how many days you wouldn't be travelling, so it's hard to figure, but just figuring 5 non-travel days, that's only 275 miles a day for travelling. Pretty easy travel days. Last September me, NaturallyGW and exavid travelled together to Calhoun Georgiafor the forum rally. NGW and myself from Port Orchard, Washington and exavid from Medford Oregon. That was over 7100 miles round trip on the route we took. We spent 3 days in Calhoun and were gone a total of 16 days. We averaged around 500 mile days or a bit more. Three weeks could easily be enough for your trip. I would do a lot of local riding beforehand though, to condition yourself. Wouldn't hurt to take some shorter long trips too, like a couple hundred miles, to make sure the Wing is running well as well as conditioning yourself. 4400 miles will be a lot of riding if you are not ready for it.

John
Thanx John...we only plan on 8-10 hours of riding per day(if that...dont know if Truckin' Tim can handle it...lol...he's a bit older than I), 3 day layover in Vegas to bowl then off to San Diego. I do plan on a full service in the spring and before the trip. I have already put about 3k miles on her since July. I also plan on a weekend trip to the Dragonin thespring. I need to get my routes (planning on a lot of "Route 66" riding). Thanks again.

DD & da Boiz
God is great, Beer is good, & People are crazy!
Every day above ground is a GOOD day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

You're quite welcome. That's going to be a fantastic trip! If you guys travel 8 hours a day and average even 50 MPH, not too hard to do, that's 400 miles a day. I know you've put a few miles on your girl already, but please do some conditioning riding before the trip. You will want to arrive in Vegas in good shape for your bowling tournament. Sitting in the saddle for 8-10 hours a day can take a lot out of you if you are not used to it. It's much more difficult than doing it in a car. The trip to the Dragon will be a good run to help you on the way. We did the Dragon from Calhoun and that was fun. My avatar is a Dragon picture actually.

BTW, you have the best looking 1200 made IMHO. I have one like her. Has always been my favorite 1200, and I remember seeing one just like her on the showroom floor in '86, and drooling on her.

John

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page