How did you first find this forum? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Post imported post

A couple years ago I had been wanting to get another bike sooooo badddddd!

Everytime the wife and I were in town and I saw one in a yard for sale I would stop and dream.

A guy just up the road from my house had two Goldwings sitting in his yard not being used. He offer to sell them to me, but I was leary of such a big bike, having never had one that big.

Long story short, without me knowing Nancy talked to Jim about buying the bikes and he gave them to her for a surprise birthday present.

When I found them by accident before the special day, I couldn't believe it, but had to get the ole girls going. So the only place to look was the internet.

So my second blessing was looking for information and finding this great Forum and the wonderful people on it.

So as so many people have said before me,,,,,

Thanks to Steve for what he has created, and thanks to all the good friends I have made for accepting me here.

"The Duke of" Earl.
PGR member
IBA member #32000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

First of all, thank you Greg for having started this wonderful thread.

I can't remember just how I came across the forum, but I did not know anyone with a Goldwing, so it just about had to be from a google search looking for info on the gl1200se my son pushed off on me before he went to Iraq.

"Dad, you just gotta keep my bike from rusting up. Those carbs are expensive to clean up if they get gummy again."

Ended up with me buying the bike off him and me on the forum somehow or other.

Before the forum, I used to just wander aimlessy around the internet. After joining this forum, I kept noticing that it became a more important part of my life and that I wanted to help give something back to it.

When I was hurt real bad last January, the forum and its' members were instrumental in making me want to recover from that accident and rejoin the human race.

You just meet the "Nicest People on a Goldwing".

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #23 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

For bikes, I was originally on the GWRRA board and hating it. I was looking for something that was a bit more civil and fit me a little better.

I saw a post there referencing this board and another Goldwing Touring board that was small. I tried the touring board for a while but it was run by a guy who wanted to be the do all to end all. Got tired of that pretty quickly and wandered over here instead.
Immediately got into a pissing match with exavid and took off again.

Came and went for a while and decided to land back here to see if I could adjust to it.
That was 3.5 years and over 11 thousand posts ago.

Some of the goings on here drives me nuts sometimes but it's still the best board going on the topic so here I am, in and out still, but mostly in.

I visit some of the other GL wannabee boards but they are too personally managed to be something I would consider home plate.

Made a goodly number of friends here and that is something I don't do easily or often so there you go. And here I am.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I got turned on to it by my son. I already had a GL1200 and he had just bought one. We were looking for information on charging issues and he found this place. First thing I did was get into a pissing match with someone over the DC ignition harness, which by the way, I am still a fan of the guy, but I digress. I had emailed Steve, asking him to remove my account, because I wanted as far away from some of these guys, I could get (I also had an issue with some of those across the pond, that culture difference thing, that I was sure I was correct, and they were wrong). Wexy wrote back to me, encouraging me to hang around and give it a chance. Many members caught my interest; Redwing, Taffy, Rudy, Exavid.......the list goes on......and so do I.

If my mummy could see me now........

Mike
Finally, old enough to know better. Just need some common sense now......
Patriot Guard Rider

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

post #25 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Model: GL1500
Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
Immediately got into a pissing match with exavid and took off again.

Made a goodly number of friends here and that is something I don't do easily or often so there you go. And here I am.
Now those two statements are just really hard to believe!!!!!!: cheeky1::cheek y1::c heeky1:

Served 823rd RED HORSE Unit \'83-\'88 USAF
\'Semper Ducimus\'
Red Knights Alabama Chapter 2
"Loyal to our Duty"
PGR Alabama Div.

1983 CX500 Custom
1981 GL1100 Standard
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

post #26 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

That is 3 statements but I know what you mean.

Hey Night. Did you really buy your son a bike with a pink seat?

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #27 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Location: Edgefield -Capitol of the South-, South Carolina, USA
Post imported post

What would we do without Rudy?

Sean, the Resident Redneck
1997 GL1500 Aspencade Limited Edition
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
Freemasonry--2B1ASK1
"Fear the government that fears YOUR guns."

post #28 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Model: GL1500
Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
That is 3 statements but I know what you mean.

Hey Night. Did you really buy your son a bike with a pink seat?

Matches the pink helmet

The seat is RED!!:P:P

Served 823rd RED HORSE Unit \'83-\'88 USAF
\'Semper Ducimus\'
Red Knights Alabama Chapter 2
"Loyal to our Duty"
PGR Alabama Div.

1983 CX500 Custom
1981 GL1100 Standard
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

post #29 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

How did I find this forum?

Lord..........!

Had been a serious, touring Winger since 1989; and Ialso wanted to return to Europe, especially to see Ireland and Scotland, since a trip I made to Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, and Switzerland in 2004.......

I participated for awhile on the MCN forum, and the BIKE Magazine forum, both UK, to get an idea of the UK motorcycling scene, but I kept getting in fights with them because it seemed to me they blamed the U.S. for all the worlds troubles.... took exception to that... very unpleasant.....

but somehow I landed here, and loved it from the moment I found it: Rudy and Exavid taught me some mechanical skills, and Azgl1500 and the other moderators some human being skills..... and I have been here ever since. Only place I've found that I can get along on, and the only place that will put up (sorta!) with my windy posts!

Thanks to all who made this forum possible! I love it, truly do......

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #30 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for starting this thread Greg. It's a good one I think.

I found the forum on either a Google or Yahoo search, don't recall which for sure. It was in October 2005, after I bought my first GoldWing, my 86 Apencade. I am a heavy Internet user and a bit of an information hound, so frequently go looking for info before and/or shortly after a purchase. I had some questions about my new ride and what a treasure this forum was and is. Besides all the help I've received here, I've made some great friends too.

Thanks again Steve for providing such a great place for us Wingers to get together.

John
Sounds about like my experience, too. It was earlier in 05, I think, just after I bought bargoyle....

I've met many new friends here. Hope to meet more..

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page