Tent Camping... - Page 26 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 AM

Model: 08 1800HPNA
Garage
We started off M/C camping with a tent..years ago. Graduated to a H/F trailer to carry our gear and then found a nice Bunkhouse trailer on EBay for $600. Bought it and haven't looked back. Best purchase I made! I have looked the newer campers and love the bell and whistles..but what I currently have fits the bill. Off the ground, good storage and pulls nice! We did a 24 day (19 days camping) 6600 mile trip in '09 from GA to CA and back. Great memories!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-01 005.jpg (327.1 KB, 118 views)

2008 GL1800 HPNA - 18,500+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Camper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingpilot96 View Post
We did a 24 day (19 days camping) 6600 mile trip in '09 from GA to CA and back. Great memories!
Thats what it's all about right there !!

Doesn't matter what you use, as long as you are using what you have, to create those memories............

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #253 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM
X-Roughneck

Model: 84 GL1200A w/poorboy alt & 1997 1500SE Green
Yes sir livin the goodlife.Someday i might have to check out a bunkhouse.I was concerned about having enough storage but it looks like you got everything you need there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 325 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Model: GL1800
I camp often off of my bike with an 8' x 7' dome tent that I purchased at Big 5 on sale for around $35. I like it because I am 6'3" and need the space. It easily fits a queen size inflatable mattress inside with side room to spare and the folded unit including poles will fit in the trunk or saddle bag.
post #255 of 325 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Year: 1999
Make: honda goldwing
Model: 1500 se
We generally have elec lots. We take elec skillet,small crocpot and coffee pot. And yes I pull a trailer.

4 Wheels move the body
2 Wheels move the soul
post #256 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Model: 2013 goldwing f6b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
Welcome, Firefly.

The tarp you see posted in some of my camp shots, is a high quality Silicone impregnated affair, with lots of quality'details' incorporated into it's design to make for a long lasting tarp, that happens to be very compact, making it perfect for 'Moto Camping'. Because of the material, unlike tents, it can be put away wet/damp without fear of mold quickly growing

I'll warn you up front that these types of tarps are not cheap, because of the material and workmanship involved.

Most of the photos will show my larger 2.9m x 3.9m (roughly 9.5'x 13') tarp, which covers your usual sized picnic table quite nicely, so it protects your kitchen/eating and sitting area during inclement weather (or provides relief from the blazing sun)and ther therefore expanding your 'living area' during those times, so you won't be 'tent bound'. They are very versatile and can be erected/used in all sorts of manner, limited only by your imagination

It is made by Mountain Equipment Co-Op, a Canadian store. which is much like your REI in the USA.Yes, they ship to the US

The tarp itself is called the MEC Silicone Guides TarpandI guarantee you wont find another manufacturer who makes a tarp like it, with the same features that are listed below.

There was a fella who made Silicone tarps which I advised IdahoRaider to buy from (MEC had ceased production of the Silicone version of the Guide tarp at that time), but the fella no longer makes them and the cost of him adding the 'extras' that come standard on the MEC tarp, added significantly to the overall cost of his tarp, but again, it is a quality tarp as well.

Winger77 bought this tarp, and although 'adequate', I think he will be the first to tell you that it is not of the same quality, nor have the 'features' of the MEC line of Silicone tarps.

Here it is in use this past weekend, when I was in the Watkins Glen, NY. area.

Here are a few shots , detailing some of the important features of the build quality of their line of tarps, that make them so durable for constant use like how I use them.

It is very important that a tarp packs very small, yet is of sufficient sizefor Moto Camping, as we have very limited storage space when you pack all the other camping items necessary for sustained touring. MEC's line of tarps include their own stuff sac.

Packed (stuffed) size comparison:

In order to set a tarp effectively, you have to pitch it good and taught. I use a modified truckers hitch, to tension my tarps. Doing so will pull/rip the grommets out of lesser quality tarps and leave it flapping in the wind, useless.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/r2fdTtKuQRE&feature=share&list=UUKnZl9uE1B SET8x_hKHUwZA&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

MEC adds lots of reinforcement to their tie out points. On the ends, the bar tack some nylon webbing on to the folded seam, spreading the stress along the seams of the tarp, making for exceptionally strong guy out points.

At both ends along the 'centre-line', or main seam of the tarp and along both sides of the tarp, they use grommets. On the centre-line seam, the grommets are installed in not one, but two reinforcing pieces of material. One is a triangular piece of 1000 Denier Cordura and then another piece of nylon webbing is sewn to the under side of thecentre-line seam and bar tacked, before a high quality grommet is installed. On the sides, they go with just the Cordura patch.

About the middle of the centre-line, thereis a large, roundreinforcement patch of Cordura attached to the underside of the tarp, with a loop of nylon webbing sewn in. It's purpose is so you can prop up the centre of the tarp with a pole/paddle/branch, or what ever you have at hand, without damaging the tarp material, itself. I use the loop to hang my candle lantern from. On the reverse, or topside, is another loop of nylon webbing, so you can attach a cord/rope to it and attach that to an overhead branch, etc. All very well thought out and executed, I think.

Just like with a tent, you need to seam seal all the stitching to prevent leaks. With the Silicone material used in this line of tarps, you need to use a special seam sealer made for silicone materials. I highly recommend using McNettSilNet to do the job.You can also make your own seam sealer for Silicone material, if you have the proper materials in your hardware store. A bit messier that using a tube, or two of the McNett, but it does the job just as well.

AS far as tent stakes to keep your tarp/tent anchored, the best stakes I have used are the MSR Groundhog stakes. There are a few 'look-a-likes' out there, but they are nowhere near the same quality and will bendfairly easy, compared to the MSR ones. Accept no substitutions!!

As for cord used in guying out the tarp, just some inexpensive nylon braided cord is sufficient to do the job> I will buy 150' - 200' of the stuff and cut it up so I have 1 -50'length, a couple of 25' lengths and the rest in 10' lengths. That allows me to set the tarp for any variety of pitching conditions/options, depending on what is available to tie off to, at each new campsite

Hope this answers your question. If not, then just PM and I'll address any further questions you may have.

Dusty
Wow! Your post was definitely the most informative. i was reading on here thinking... " Does anyone go camping without a camper anymore? "
hahahah... I'll message you if I have any questions! Thanks!
post #257 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800A
Garage
Tent and cot is how I go. Nothing against camping trailers, but they are not for me. Here is my newest piece of "gear." A propane portable camp fire. It is my answer for the burn bans that happen all summer long here in the Northwest. They are legal during the burn bans. I don't miss the wood smoke and it goes on in an instant and off just as quick. I have a converter to use the 1 lb propane tanks and one tank will burn 2+ hours on high and of course, longer when on lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #258 of 325 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM

Model: 2006 1800
But Larry will it cook this much Ham........LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fortuna 2012 005.jpg (215.0 KB, 184 views)

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #259 of 325 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 AM

Garage
Love the looks and the appeals of pulling a trailer, but have not had one or a hitch fall into my lap yet So I am looking at another tent. Currently I use a Eureka Timberline 4, plenty of room in it and while there is nothing wrong with it at all, it is only 58 inches center height and I cannot stand up in it.
A friend pointed me in the direction of a Kelty Palisade 4 which has a center height of 72 inches, and only packs up 2 inches longer than the Eureka.

I am seriously contemplating on getting this one and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this tent?
Ease of set up, packing on a bike and that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

ESSAYONS!!!
Darksider #1288
Previously Owned:
\'70 Honda 50 mini trail bike
\'75 Can Am 175 TNT
\'77 Yamaha XS750
\'77 Kawasaki KE250
\'88 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
\'83 Honda VT750 Shadow
\'89 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
\'02 Honda GL1800 (current ride)
post #260 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Model: 2000 Aniversary SE
I am still a tent camper and likely always will be! I LOVE it even tho I have not mastered the comfort issue and waking up sore thing...1 of my dogs is a hoot when he wakes up! He bumps the tent walls looking for the door I suspect.. gives peeps something to talk about in the campground I am sure! HAHA!! BUT I have it down when it comes to packing....

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page