Tent Camping... - Page 27 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Model: 89 gl1500
gonna dig this thread up a little.

i am gonna be trying some tent camping hopfully soon! for now i just picked up a cheap 7x7 dome from walmart and an air mattress looking at what i will need for everything else right now. minimal clothes for sure but still debating on what to take for bedding stuff, and thinking simple foods like ravioli and such.. if i have a fire i can heat it up, if not, i can eat it cold! get subway or something for lunch on the road and still thinking about breakfast, but what ever it is i am not really interested in hauling too much cooking supplies. some food for a day or two (can buy more on the go) just dont want to fuss with cooking so much. this will be my solo go of things, and if i decide that i want to keep doing so then i will buy better gear and look into it a bit more. if not the cheaper stuff i have now will last long enough for me to find out! and so far i think i will be able to easly pack all i need in the bike.

unfortunatly two up on the bike will be a no go or i would look to a camp trailer. but instead i will take the money saved from that and pick up an older small ( like 20-24ft) toy hauler for the 3 of us. ( me-wife-dog). i know i would be loosing a bit of the feel, but if that is what it takes to share the memories the so be it! but we will still make a base camp and do long day trips while we can on the bike/s and will still be cheaper/funner then hotels! we will still be camping and mostly use the trailer to sleep and enjoy the really bad weather ( and keep the dog in, while out and about)

89 honda goldwing gl1500
07 yamaha fz6 (wifes)
05 honda shadow sabre 1100 ( rip/deer)
08 triumph 1050 tiger - sold and sorely missed
05 triumph tiger 955i ( rip)
03 honda 919 ( traded for 05 tiger)

IBA member 38738

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 PM
milt37

Model: 2008 Gl 1800 Trike CSC
I just returned from a 30 day trip to Artic Circle.(9200 miles) I used a 4 person tent by Timberline, got it at Academy Sports for $39.00. Worked great for me and stay inside stuff. Get a canvas ground cover to sit tent on. And a self inflating air mattress. It deflates when you roll it up. And a sleeping bag for the weather you expect to be in. But get one that has a compression bag . Also a large waterproof water proof bag to carry bag in. And anything else you want to keep dry while riding. We stayed in KOA's most of the time, but get close to the showers and keep a large Gatorade bottle in tent so u don't have to go to the potty at night.
post #263 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt37 View Post
I just returned from a 30 day trip to Artic Circle.(9200 miles) I used a 4 person tent by Timberline, got it at Academy Sports for $39.00. Worked great for me and stay inside stuff. Get a canvas ground cover to sit tent on. And a self inflating air mattress. It deflates when you roll it up. And a sleeping bag for the weather you expect to be in. But get one that has a compression bag . Also a large waterproof water proof bag to carry bag in. And anything else you want to keep dry while riding. We stayed in KOA's most of the time, but get close to the showers and keep a large Gatorade bottle in tent so u don't have to go to the potty at night.
I think the large Gatorade bottles were designed in that shape/size just for that purpose.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #264 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Garage
I want to build a modular bunkhouse style camper trailer without any suspension or tongue, those I will source in Australia. The trailer needs to be modular to resemble luggage trunks so as to ship with me when I fly from Alaska to Oz. They would look like at the least those plastic cargo trunks and would indeed serve the function as luggage, but they will attach together end to end? or side by side?

Either that or I build one in Oz. Need one that will be a long term home, at least 6 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #265 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Friend of Bill W.

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800A
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianinpa View Post
I think the large Gatorade bottles were designed in that shape/size just for that purpose.
Liquid laundry soap bottles work well and no one is the wiser when you head to the bathroom with one in tow.

For
Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge check out the GWRRA

2002 1800 Goldwing
2005 Honda Silverwing 600cc Maxiscooter
2007 900cc Kawasaki Classic LT

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #266 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Model: 98 Aspencade
We tented one summer then upgraded to a Super 8!!
post #267 of 325 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Year: 2004
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Camping is a choice......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspice View Post
We tented one summer then upgraded to a Super 8!!
If you don't have a passion for camping and all of the organization and planning it takes, stay at a hotel/motel.

The challenge and freedom that camping gives you makes my day.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go,
others, whenever they go"
-Oscar Wilde-
post #268 of 325 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM

Year: 1987
Make: Hons
Model: '87 Aspencade
Garage
Not sure what kind of tent I have but it's 10x12 with 2 rooms. I use 2 queens size air beds, one on top of the other so I don't have so far to go to stand up in the morning.
OK, I haven't packed this setup on the wing yet, or at least not the wing I have now, but I've tented beside my airplane for many years and I figure if the olf plane can pack it, so can the new wing.
post #269 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM

Year: 2013
Make: F6B
Model: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
Long term tent camper, me....... and I've got a few suggestions:

First, carry the biggest tent you can. Small size and compactness is attractive, until being inside "small and compact" during a three day rainstorm. If at all possible, I'd suggest a four-person tent for two, and a two-person tent for one. My opinion only, of course......

Specific models:

Eureka Timberlines, 2-person or 4-person, $160, Campmor

R.E.I. Half-Dome, 2-person, $160, R.E.I.

A medium priced backpacking tent is sufficient; 4-season tents or mountaineering tents are overkill.... unless you are trying to get your Goldwing up the Northeast Ridge of Mt. Everest......

(Eureka Timberline 4, alonside the Clearwater River, Idaho)
Been doing it for 40 years on a bike and big tents work
At least get one you can stand up in
Just the best when its raining sitting in the tent having a Coffee when all the ohers are drowning in their Light weight and small tents
post #270 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 PM

Model: 2013 Goldwing
I got a new "Instant Up" tent from K-mart last year, about $60. 5-10 minute set-up instead of the 20-30 with the old one was great! 5 person for 3 people, worked great. But I have Cyclemate trailer to haul it in. The best part about camping vs motel is when you step outside of a motel you are usually in a parking lot. When you step outside of a tent you could be in the woods, next to a lake or many other more scenic places than a parking lot. As cousin Jack says, just my opinion.

Bob

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'13 Goldwing Current bike as of April 2013!
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page