post #271 of 325 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Hey ya Hey ya,

how about a better insulated tent?

This guy has a new product on the market that he says will drop the sound of the neighbors snoring by 35 decibels.

and at the same time, it will stay warmer inside than a normal canvas tent.

http://www.gizmag.com/thermo-tent-in...ac3b9-90081193

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 325 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Year: 1987
Make: Hons
Model: '87 Aspencade
Garage
I like the idea, but that thing is heavy.
post #273 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 AM

You can Coleman cabin tent.
It is good for 6 to 10 people.
I also use this whenever our family goes out of station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 AM

Model: 84 1200 Interstate
Garage
I'm wanting to get set up for minimalist camping off the wing. No trailer. Maybe later. Going solo for now. But hope that will change.

I may or may not be adding a hitch rack. So that might be a little added carrying capacity.

My problem is I can't make a decision. Been that way my whole life. They should just have 2 choices. Black or white. Take one. I got so stressed out at REI I got a severe headache and had to leave. I was there to spend. But got really depressed and said screw the whole idea. Too hard to figure out,,,lol.

To add to this decision making problem I have 2 sources of opinions I'm listening to. My friend who says I need nothing but a bed roll on the handle bars. Just like "Then came Bronson". Then I have my Son telling me backpacking gear. Ultra light and micro size.

Well I think I need something about in the middle. I do have some old gear that I used when I took my truck camping. I guess it's all to big and heavy now. But I would like to use some of it if I can to keep costs down. But I think I won't be able to use much, if any of it except my peculator,,,,lol. And I really do want to use that since it was my Moms.

Lets just start with stove recommendations for now.

I do have an old Coleman 2 burner propane stove. I hope it still works. If I use a rack I think it could be put on top of a small cooler. But the whole rack idea may not even happen. So can I put that stove anywhere else. Like on the seat.

Or I could go with a backpacking stove. But it will dent my budget really bad. But I will do it I tell ya,,,,lol. I really like the Primus ETA Spider. I found it online for $80. Anyone tried one like this.

http://www.rei.com/product/868342/pr...FcEUHwodaewGGg

If I choose this one, or one like it I can pack the stove inside the pots and pans.

http://primuscamping.com/products/li...-stick-surface

I do like the whole Primus line of stuff. But am open for suggestions.

72 Yamaha XS2 650

73 Yamaha TX750

82 Suzuki GS650G

84 GL1200 Interstate
post #275 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Year: 2004
Model: GL 1800
The stove thing can be pretty personal. I use mine to boil water for coffee and freeze dried food when I use it. I can also warm a small can of chili, etc.

The stove I have been using for 10 years costs less than $20 and every time I use it, everyone wants to know where to get one. It burns a number of fuels, boils water a couple of minutes and is about 3 inches diameter by 3 inches tall.

I use it with a windscreen. Both stove and windscreen fit easily inside the pot I use.

http://zenstoves.net/PressureSideBurner.htm

I don't use the smallest sleeping bag either.

On my first trip everything I needed, tent, polls, rain fly, ground cloth, additional sun shade, sleeping bag all fit nicely into a 40 liter water proof river running bag. Small chair and small clothing bag and on top of that lashed on the back seat. That leaves tons of room in saddle bags and trunk for collapsable cooler, food, etc.

I was amazed how well the bike handled, even with the luggage.

Have updated to 1800 since these photos and will go with a "back seat bag" from now on.

Hope this helps............you don't need to speed a lot of money on gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack's Goldwing Packed.jpg (234.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Jack's Goldwing Packed at Darrel's House.jpg (279.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Jack's Goldwing Packed2.jpg (174.1 KB, 21 views)

"Some cause happiness wherever they go,
others, whenever they go"
-Oscar Wilde-
post #276 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Garage
I may be taking a tent for two with me from Alaska to Australia, going to spend 5 weeks down there dec into january, middle of summer between Sydney and Adelaide, will be renting a small suv for some duration, may be buying an older station wagon, dirt cheap down there, plus i will be doing some bike riding as well.
Was in Walmart today, decent tents pretty cheap, not the best, nor the lightest, but they will fit in checked luggage, the 10'x12' one looked best.
I'm not sure what tents go for in Oz yet but this one i just mentioned was around $130 i think.
Another option is the one that wraps around the back of your suv.

post #277 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:13 PM

Year: 1990
Model: 1990 GL1500
I guess I can speek as an old fart camper... I'm 75 and love camping... I started many years ago with a small tent and it lasted one trip... I now have a 10x10 Coleman instant tent... with one other person,,, can have it up in 2 minutes... I sleep on a 18 inch high air bed and a nice double sleeping bag... I have plenty of room for all my gear inside... one important thing for me is being able to stand up inside... I pull a small 4x4 trailer with a cargo pod... I carry my camping gear, butane 2 burner stove, small cooler and stuff... Got to have stuff... I got my tent at Wally World... A very helpful item that I have carried with me for a while is a battery booster box... I got the yello $100. one from harbour frieght... I can charge my electronics,,, run battery stuff off it,,, will even do 110v for a short time... pump up tires... very handy... I have a 12v outlet in my trailer and can charge it up when off to another park and it is ready to go...
I would not buy a cheap tent...

You will make a lot of mistakes but settle on a list of gear that is for you... I got a lot of info from a site www.motocampers.com... a good group of campers...
Good luck...

Bodasefus aka Russ Lawrence

Some days the Dog,,,
Some days the Hydrant...
post #278 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Garage
Just got back from Walmart, bought a 12x8 Coleman 6 person done tent, it will fit nicely inside one of our luggage crates. And it would fit on the bike as well. Shelves were getting bare, and they do not restock tents in our Alaska winter very well, only ice fishing tents.

post #279 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM

Model: 84 1200 Interstate
Garage
Well I got a tent. A few as a matter of fact,,,,lol.

I started with a Marmot Tungstun 3 from REI. It was $249 plus tax, (around $280)footprint included. I thought this was a good value. The guy at REI said this was a much better tent than a similar Kelty.

But then I felt guilty and that I couldn't afford to spend that kind of money on a tent right now. I should start off cheap. So I took it back.

So I went to Walmart and got me a 3 man $40 special. Felt better about the money. I'll get a better one next year I said.

Then on the way home I stopped by a local campground just to check it out. There was only one couple out there. Too dam hot. But I'll be. They has just bought the exact same tent I just did. I asked if I could check it out. Well I noticed a hole in the floor. And he pointed out that he broke a fiberglass pole the first time he set it up. Dang. Not what I wanted to hear. So I took it back too.

So I kept researching. But I really wanted this Marmot because they are bragging about how it has bent poles at the bottom to allow more usable floor space. That would be just great for my big air mattress.

Well look at this. Here's the exact one I want on sale!! What?? An additional instant 25% off?? Free shipping and no tax?? And to sweeten the pot it was from an online place that just happened to be 25 miles from me. So I couldn't resist and justified away that I could spend $180 since I was saving $100 over REI.

My name is Calvin and I'm a shopaholic.

Now if I can just get the dam thing back in the bag I'll be all right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150720_192607.jpg (267.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20150720_194005.jpg (326.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20150720_194018.jpg (271.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20150720_194707.jpg (281.8 KB, 15 views)

72 Yamaha XS2 650

73 Yamaha TX750

82 Suzuki GS650G

84 GL1200 Interstate
post #280 of 325 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Better hurry up with that tent, I just saw some lightning flashes and heard the thunder roll in.... and it is just 6:10 in the AM here

Putting tents back in their carry bags, I equate to putting my Frogg Toggs back into its' carry sack. almost impossible... but if you don't they will swell up and occupy the entire side saddle bag.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page