Tent Camping... - Page 31 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 325 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
A reminder on 1500s: ck the forward mounting bolts for the center/tail bag
If you can lift the front edge of center bag from its front corner easily- the support arms have broken at their weld to bracket.

No it doesnt happen to everyone but if you havnt ckd this, it takes seconds to know...before loading for a trip.

The supports arms are under their `mounting bar` at a 45 degree angle- giving structure to a larger flat bar where small bolts go thru bag
and bar to secure it to the bike
Any movement of the bag indicates broken support!
A small weld or possibly epoxy fixes things up.

The stated load limit for the top/center bag with contents AND whatever is tied on top of the lid...is 15 pounds! (may vary by model)
Side bags are 20 each iirc and they are held on by 4 small bolts!

Center of Gravity along with Weight & Balance are important. Keep the load low and supported by the suspension and axle,,
not up high on the tail where its not helping things~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 325 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
I am all for being as prepared as I can be and am built for comfort and not speed. If you camp for more than two nights and are traveling "away" from your normal area, you should be prepared.

The last two Biking vacations we took (over a 6 day trip) were disastrous as far as weather. My lovely bride really was a champ though. The last one she actually drove her own bike in the rain for a week and was her first time driving in wet weather. She put on close to a total of 1500km in six days in heavy rain every day she was out. Not bad for a newly minted rider!!! I sure am glad this was a hotel vacation.

The second last one, the ones in these pictures we were camping. There was only suppose to be one day of real "rain" and popup showers to follow for the following day and a half. LIARS!!!! All meteorologists are LIARS!!!

While we were camping it rained so hard we had a small "river" run through our camp site and it actually left an imprint of the bike and trailer in the ground. It was awful... an awful 5 days of heavy rain. That's why the next one was going to be the hotel vacation with beautiful sun... see two paragraphs above.

My point is that you need to have the ability to take as close to what you would take if you were in a car. If bad weather sets in, you don't have a dry car to jump into to get away from it. If you liked camping as a kid or a your adult and it's been a long time since you have been camping... your memory, your mind and your body are probably lying to you and in cahoots with the local meteorologist about how fun and comfortable you will be.

Camping in the full sun without shade can be just as bad but at least you can find shade or some place to go to get out of it.

In my books, if you are going to camp and make a habit out of it, then, at least for us, a trailer is the first "must have" item.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000369_resize.JPG (268.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1000395_resize.JPG (307.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1000373_resize.JPG (205.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1000386_resize.JPG (384.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1000388_resize.JPG (254.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg P1000387_resize.JPG (363.4 KB, 36 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 325 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I love that picture where she is upset with all the days of rain

and wow! that was a real gully washer it seems...
and I agree, if you can't be comfortable, then the fun is gone.

at 73 now, I just don't enjoy the time it takes to set up a tent, nor trying to prepare a meal.

Even here at home, I just don't cook, I have never enjoyed cooking. It is just 'not my thing'.... I will make a peanut butter sandwich before I light up a stove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 325 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterwgunn View Post
I've decided to embark on a new career as a tent camper...About a million years ago I was a boy scout, but most of that training has long since been forgotten.. I need a suggestion on what type of tent to buy...ie....one or 2 person pup tent...that can be strapped on the bike?? I'm looking for something decent...not overly expensive..
I am with you as far as camping goes. Just moved from the Lake Tahoe area and camped there alot. I want to buy a camping trailer to pull behind my wing.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #305 of 325 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 AM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
This thread looks like it Died but I will throw something on here and see if we can get it started again.

I'm going to Utah in June for a look around, solo ride, wife can't ride that far.

I like to camp from the bike no trailer and I eat in restaurant's.

I bought a queen size air matters from WalMart 2 years ago and don't like it. It goes flat in the middle of the night is hard to pack up and it takes up 3/4 of my tent.

Yesterday I bought a sleeping pad, it is a ALPS Mountaineering brand. I set it up in the living room last night and the wife got a good laugh. This thing is pretty comfortable so I think I'm good to go except the getting up off the ground part.

LOL I'm going to look for a very small stove to heat some water for instant coffee in the morning.

I got more room in the saddle bags now with out the air matters and pump.

Power Guy last year I got to Tahoe late afternoon stopped at the camp ground in South Lake Tahoe, the lady wanted $70.00 to pitch my tent there?

I had ridden in from Hwy 395 and just kept going.

We used to rent rooms at Ceaser's for just a little more than that. 70 years old and camping again, hope this is a mid life crisis. This bike is a good way to see some beautiful country.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 05-12-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: EDIT: broke up the 1 continuous runon sentence for readability
post #306 of 325 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Garage
If Air Conditioning is not available, I won't camp in a tent or RV...

My daughter bought us a 2004 Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler last July, and it has a 4 KVA Onan generator and a 1 ton a/c unit on the roof. does pretty good, it kept the interior at 73F with the outside air at 101F during the noon hours.

at nite, it pulled the interior down to 69F which felt "just right" to me as that is what we have our home a/c set at.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #307 of 325 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:34 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
I believe the thread is called Tent Camping so I cannot offer advice. I used to do it long long ago, then we moved to pop up and latest was a 24 ft trailer. It was like 15 years ago when we last used it. It used to be fairly expensive back then for a decent campsite. For double + a bit more you could find a decent hotel with refrigerator, private shower AC and TV. But I understand those that prefer a fire a night and the fresh forest air. Riding long distances is not always easy on a motorcycle so waking up fresh and relaxed is a must. Thats the way we roll.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #308 of 325 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
yeah, my comment is off topic, but it has been several decades since we did tent camping, and we never had a tent.

just a trot line and two trees and a tarp.... dad said that "is good enough, we are dry"

~ John

post #309 of 325 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:53 PM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I don't really camp, like I did when we used to take everything to cook and stay for a week in one place. I am really just tent sleeping. I ride the bike all day and see the country and about 4 in the afternoon I find some place to stay for the night. Set up my little tent and go find a restaurant to have dinner. Then go back and sleep at the camp. Some times visit with some neighbors. Some times the camp ground will have a pool for a swim. After writing this I guess I understand why the wife doesn't want to go . LOL If she goes we stay in Motel's and air conditioning. After a couple day of tent sleeping I get a room for a night. I really like my tent better than the room. I wake up in the mountains or the ocean views and clean air. I like it, it's always an adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (160.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1027.jpg (118.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Upside down.jpg (181.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by AZgl1800; 05-13-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Rotated pix
post #310 of 325 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Maybe will run into each other in Utah in June. Hopefully not literally.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page