Tent Camping... - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Post imported post

I've been really fortunate, everytime I've let my 1200 rest, the only person who had a camera was me.

And I'm not going to take a photo of my own bike laying over on her side.

Oh that's right, I should have said "if I ever let my 1200 fall over". Right, CJ?

"The Duke of" Earl.
PGR member
IBA member #32000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
Quote:
I've decided to embark on a new career as a tent camper.............. I need a suggestion on what type of tent to buy...ie....one or 2 person pup tent...that can be strapped on the bike?? I'm looking for something decent...not overly expensive..

I'd suggest that you each have 1 saddlebag each, for your own personal gear/clothes/rain gear(and tool kit) The top case for camping gear. If you have a trunk rack, I'd suggest this trunk bag It's very good value for the money.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=47633078

I'd also suggest buying a good, appropriately sized,compression stuff sac, along the lines as this to put your tent/fly/footprint/ground cloth in and reduce it's size bulk, such as the blue bag with the black end caps,on the right hand side of the table, below ....

which holds this 4 man tent ....

saving you much needed space. My poles fit in the trunk.

On a bike, riding 2 up, with no trailer, you have to think compact!

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #63 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Dusty,,,, where do you pack the tent(in the stuff sack)on the bike? And where on the bike is your sleeping bag?

And whats in the trunk bag?

I did alright with the packing for my first trip,,,,,, but there is always room for improvement.

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Quote:
Dusty,,,, where do you pack the tent (in the stuff sack)on the bike? And where on the bike is your sleeping bag?

And whats in the trunk bag?

I did alright with the packing for my first trip,,,,,, but there is always room for improvement.

Well Dave, for the Calhoun trip, Ipacked way more than I usually do, mainly due to the fact that I was going to be on the road for over a month, all over the continent(22 States and 1 Province) and in mid-late fall(Sept20 - Oct 25)

All my camping gear(including tent/footprint/water storage container/sleeping bag/sleeping mat/air bed/tarp and cord/stove/pots/large pillow/colder weather insulated-waterproof jacket/down vest/utensils kit and more!)was in the pack behind me, on the passenger/pillion seat

In the trunk rack bag, I carried riding gear(extra armoured jacket/liner, armoured riding pants/liner, gloves, 2 carton of smokes, MapBook and when space allowed(depending on what jacket I was wearing) the tripod were inside the main compartment. I had my LED headlamp, candle lantern, DC-AC power inverter, chargers and cables for all my electronic gear, spare AA rechargeable batteries, plus battery charger, among other items in the side pockets. In the rear pocket of the trunk rack bag, I had current state map and useful brochure(s) obtained from Visitor Centres, spare green garbage bag and 2 medium sized 'kitchen catcher' trashbags.

The trunk rack bag weighed between 15 - 25lbs, depending on what riding gear I was wearing.

In the pic below, you can see that I had added a set of 1800 trunk rack risers to help 'spread the load/weight distribution on the lid of the trunk. I had to drill out the risers big enough for the 6m rack bolts to fit through, to attach the trunk rack. I also added extra rubber washers on both sides of the trunk, fender washers on theundersideand some tap washers, that fit between the risers and the rackto help eliminate cracks in the lid. It' seems to be working alright, as there are no signs of cracking after 40,000k

This trip, I'll be taking my 'ultra light' backpacking gear. I'll be able to fit the tent,insulated sleeping pad, 9.5'x13' tarp, -12*C down sleeping bag, stove/fuel/pot easily into one saddle bag.

Here's my 2 man tent, which has 2 doors/vestibules, yet weighs only 42ozs and packs up to the size of a volleyball,without the use of a compression sac!

Dusty

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to John Davis Jr.
Post imported post

Also get a good air mattress, they take up some room but after sleeping on the ground a couple of times, youwill appreciate a good air mattress. My brother and I rode and camped for about 15 years and loved every minute of it.

Your Friend,

John D.

John D.
post #66 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

Thanks Ken,,,,,(I think it's Ken) -(please correct me) you covered that question for me quite well.

I had my clothes in my pack on the back seat. Tent,poles, sleep mat, mat inflator, hachet, tarp, Atlas,2 other books and maybe a couple other small items I can't think of. This was all in my trunk.

Stove, gas for stove, small lunch pale type cooler, tools, bag for camera & GPS, spare twine, Bear spray, and again items I can't think of,,,,,,,all in the Left saddle bag.

Sleeping bag, smokes, small broom & dust pan, plexus & rags, other small items. All in Right saddle bag. The sleeping bag took most of the space here.

On the trunk rack I kept the folding chair,compact tripodand a stuff sack for jackets & chaps.

I should add,,,,,,,,,,, I pack all my clothes in 2 1/2 gallon zip baggies. I took too much clothes, so I think I can use the space for other items next time.

post #67 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Model: 1982 1100 Aspencade
Post imported post

You'll catch on real quick on what you really need to take and what you can get by on and still be comfortable

Whether there be sunshine or snow, I.ve got toys that go go go !
post #68 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

Winger 82 wrote:
Quote:
You'll catch on real quick on what you really need to take and what you can get by on and still be comfortable

I know what ya mean. The inflatable sleep mat is a must.

Hey,,,,, is Meadville near Pittsburg???

post #69 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Sleeping bags can be quite bulky, especially synthetic ones.

My -3*Cdown backpacking bag packs smaller than a volleyball, when in a compression sac and weighs just 25ozs.

I'll be bringing a new -12*C bag I just picked up, although it's bulkier and heavier. I haven't had a chance to weigh it on my digital scales yet, but I know I could use it well into winter. I use a digital scale and a spreadsheet program for all my backpacking gear, so I can keep track of how much weight I'll be carrying on a backpacking trip. It's great that my backpacking gear does double duty for motorcycle camping.

Packing too many clothes is common and not hard to do, especially when you are covering a lot of different latitudes, altitudes and a vast temperature range, in the shoulder seasons. You need something warm for sitting around the ole campsite, at night.

One of these days I should take photos of all the gear/camping gear I normally use, where I pack it, show it in useand report back.

Cheers, Ken

- just another Rider

post #70 of 325 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Big Dog
Post imported post

Hey, you guys are AWSOME, thanks. I can see right now that the compression sac is going to be as good a friend to me as the AIR MATTRESS is... I had no idea you could get THAT much gear on a bike, but were gonna give it a try, I may make several dry runs before Montrose though, THAT REALLY BREAKS MY HART..................

Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders Id# 186868

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page