Adventures In Mechanics... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

About 5 weeks ago my trusty Jeep threw its serpentinefan belt...No problem you say just pull out the broken belt put a new one on...Yeah sure !!!!!..Mine had wrapped around the lower pulley so tight that about 8in of it went behind the lower pulley, right smack into the crank shaft seal...And it wasn't going to pull out .....This meant that I was going to have to pull the lower pulley to get the piece stuck behind it out...OK no problem, having been a mechanic for over 30 odd years I have all the necessary tools and theknowledge to do the job...Now where is my harmonic balancer puller???? Thats right I loaned out to who????..... So off to the parts house to rent one...This is the first time in 5 weeks that it hasn't tried to snow or rain....I buy new seal kit and rent the puller. Now for those of you who never have worked on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or any newer model Jeep, Chrysler never meant for you to work on it....Taking blood thinners I get these nasty blood bruises every time I either bump or scratch my arms, so long sleeves are a must....and gloves for my hands..

Now 1/2 pint of blood later,I get every thing apart and decide its the better way to replace that seal is to remove the timing cover....10 bolts later its off....Then did I mention if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck????? OMG....the timing chain has about a 1 in belly in it...wore out...Well OK it does have 140,000 miles its time for a new one...But then as I turn the timing cover over to look at replacing the seal, the timing damper falls out in three pieces....$10 bucks says I'm screwed, probly a dealer item, that they will be out of stock on.... But wait!!!! Auto Zone carries it and timing chain....$81.00 later I have all my ducks in a row...Nasty critters that they are...

Things are going just great, everything is clean, old gaskets scraped off, only one time I nicked my self with razor blade, two band aids later I take the puller back to Auto Zone, and start putting every thing back together...Did I mention about my luck????....I'm hammering the balancer back on, got bolt in it tightening it down...Take a break !!!!....I deserve it...Go in house make me a cup of coffe, Set down by work bench and lo and behold !!!!!! of all things,the oil slinger is laying there..!!!!!....Jumped up tried to get pulley off, no luck, jumped in car went back and re-rented puller...I was able to get pulley off and timing cover off enough to get oil slinger in place, before the silicone set up.....Last night I get it almost all back together before the wife says it's time to quit for the night..I have radiator hoses, two transmission lines, and that God forsaken fan clutch to put back on......

At this point Imight be able to finish up the few odd things maybe Sat afternoon, but weatherman says its going to be cold and maybe wet??? Did I mention my luck?????

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Post imported post

I hear ya Claude! My sister-in-law owns a Jeep Cherokee and her hubby, a Ford mechanic, complains about working on hers all the time.
But then, I doubt he has ever tried to replace the sparkplugs on my 97 F150 with the 4.6 mod motor! A daunting task indeed!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Post imported post

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, just changing the spark plugs is a major ordeal. I was not even sure it had any when I first got it, yep they are there, you only have to take about half the engine apart to get to them, kinda like an 1800, two hours of taking off things just to check a steering head bearing.

Keep at it and stop forgetting that oil slinger That is something taint it, get it all put back together and what is this thing? Could just kick it under the work bench and ignore it. all good mechanics have parts left over when they are done. Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Post imported post

Your right about parts left over Kit!
Back in the 80s, I worked for a perforating plant and the company engineer decided we needed to change the crankshaft out in a press to increase the stroke from 1/2" to 5/8" in order to perforate thicker materrial on that press.

Needless to say, old "Gerorge" had a quantity of bolts, nuts and washers left over and the machine worked just fine. That was a job only to be repeated to convert the press back to a 1/2" stroke some months later.

What I learned from all that is that even with a lot of heat on some parts, they still won't budge!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Model: 1988 1500A.
Post imported post

Redbaron:
I have two jeeps one a Cherokee Sport the other a Grand Cherokee. Both have 4.0 liter straight sixes. You did not
mention what year yours was. The Sport is a 93 model and the Grand is a 96. Have worked on both but never had to pull anything but a power steering pump on the Grand.
Glad you got it all back together.
David
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Post imported post

Man I know your pain

02 Goldwing
99 SE
95 Interstate
85 Interstate 20000 sold
82 Aspencade 45000 sold
78 Kaw chips bike 20000 sold
750 Honda 12000 sold
69 BSA Lighting dont remember traded

Ride safe and always keep the shiny side up. Roy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Hey Claude,

You know....years ago the TV show "Hee Haw" had an appropriate theme song for you. I think it went something like this:

'Gloom despair & agony on me. Deep dark depression excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Gloom despair & agony on meee.'

Mywife had a Jeep 2001 Grand Cherokee when I met her. She had the transmission replaced before it was 1 yr old. Six months later the rear end went out...1 yr.after thatthe rear end went outagain...6 monthspassed and the rear end went out again. This time the rear end that was put under it was cracked and lasted only a week before it was replaced again. (I lost count...what was that 5 ???).....During this 'Rear End Time' the drivers door window regulator had to be replaced (twice) and the passenger door window regulator had to be replacedalso. We also had to have the serpentine belt replaced...not to mention that the wheel rotors had to be replaced (shop could not turn them)and brake pads changed.........

Did I mention that this car had only 40,000 mi on it ????

Had it been a horse...we would have shot it and dragged it's carcas back into the woods for the buzzards to feast on.

Instead, we traded the damn thing in on a KIA.

TERRY

"To realize the \'Worth\' of the anchor, we need to feel the \'Stress\' of the storm"
"Worry is the Darkroom where Negatives Develop"
2010 GL1800 - Metallic Black) - We call her "Pearl" (as in Black Pearl, a rare, beautiful and exotic gem)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Model: 1993 GL1500 S/E
Post imported post

BlueWinger wrote:
Quote:
. . . . . . Six months later the rear end went out...1 yr.after thatthe rear end went outagain...6 monthspassed and the rear end went out again. This time the rear end that was put under it was cracked and lasted only a week before it was replaced again. (I lost count...what was that 5 . . . . . . .
Sounds like you had the legendary Aluminum Housing Dana 44. I still don't understand why they did that. The Dana 44 is a stout piece, but a 4x4 axle housing made from cast aluminum ??

Not a high point in the history of automotive design.

6'-2", 210, old Geezer Glide and a big dumb grin.

Goldwings. . . if you're gonna have something between your legs, it might as well be enormous and smooth.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page