Tent camping II - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
Post imported post

All you experienced campers out there what is your initial opinion/impression
of this particular tent? Keep in mind that I will be pulling a trailer, Also since we
intend to stay 2-3 days or longer depending on destination. Setting up this tent is not an issue for me and we will be carrying two cots along with foldup chairs.

Last year on our trip the wing was pretty heavy with just clothes and support items. I had an 18 gallon tote on the back of the bike with cooling vests, soft ice chest, snacks, coolant for the bike. Prior to leaving had found a harbor freight trailer that I could not pass up but did not have time or funds to get it ready for that trip.

I wish I could find one this size with an enclosed mesh area like a front porch to keep the bugs away.

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-76-copper-canyon-10.aspx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Panatellos
Post imported post

We have used this tent before and the problem we had was that when the wind would pick up it would lift the rain fly and separate the poles that held it up. That tent did not make it through 2 trips before I was so frustrated that I gave it away. My family and I do a lot of camping and the Jeep tents have been the most durable tents. We have had the current one about 5yrs with about 8-10 trips a year with a family of 5.

Pan

So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land!

I am not illiterate...... I know damn well who my parents are !!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank you for your insights and experience. What jeep tents
are your referring too? I have been browsing Craigslist for
tents so as not to have a ton of $ tied up in anything which
would make it easier to dispose of hopefully. A friend of mine
as I have stated in the past has a tent trailer, this would be ideal but I dont have the funds to go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Take it from me you will want a tent with a better rain fly , those tents with just a little dinky fly that barely covers the top are for only good weather camping and you will get everything wet in a good storm, Eureka makes good stuff I have two of them , look for a dome tent by them , I like the tall ones like you selected so you can stand up to put the britches on.
I spent 3 days on top of Balsam Mntn. in the Smoky 's stuck inside that thing , we even had two 5 gallon buckets inside , one for bathing and one to pee in.
That was some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen anywhere!!! Tent held up just fine , lots of others were collapsed and I am sure they went home miserable.Thank goodness we had plenty of wine and supplies.

I think I paid about 300 for the one I got , sold as a 6 man tent .
Check out REI or campmore, any large campin' supplier should have a more suitable one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Model: 1200 aspencade 1985
Post imported post

Why in the hell would you want to put 6 men in a tent together? I here those banjos strummin.

Ron
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

kylesmuskie wrote:
Quote:
Why in the hell would you want to put 6 men in a tent together? I here those banjos strummin.

Me thinks it harks back to the days of 'Fairy Tales' - you know the old one about " Rub-a-dub dub, 3 men in a tub" !!

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

That tent could be a problem with cots. Of course the size of the cots make a difference but the important size is the length and width of the tent at the height of the cots. We tried to put cots in one similar to that and no way, we had to have the cots scrunched up in the center so they didn't hit the sides.

We went with a COLEMAN CABIN TENT

There is a ton of room in this one, We use ots that are oversized, got them at Sam's Club.The tentis not too heavy, it hauls in the trailer just fine. We have been camping one time where it hardly stopped raining for 3 days, everthing inside stayed dry. We also camped one time where we had some nasty thunderstorms come in off Lake Ontario, no problems with water then either. Set up time is 20 minutes or so. Overall we are very happy with this tent.

Keep in mind, when using cots the straighter the sides of the tent the more useable space you will have.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

DougW:
The domed tents have to be pretty big to allow a cot. My initial impression on the domes is setup might be a bit easier. But the vertical sides on the Coleman is kind of what we are looking for. That is why the Eureka appealed to me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Banned

Post imported post

We do not use cots , a blow up full size mattress with fitted sheets from home , and if you need the room to open a chair or two to set out the rain then you stand up the mattress on the side , you'll have enough room . I can set this tent up in 10 minutes!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Post imported post

kylesmuskie wrote:
Quote:
Trust me I never will be in a tent with 6 men , that's just the way that they "size" them by how many men it takes to cover the floor. not each other !!!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page