Long, lonely stretches of highway. Let's see them. - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Great shots, people!

To keep it going, here's a few more that I've ridden .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's SR149, CO., AKA the Silver Thread

SR 24 in Utah, just east of Capitol Reef NP

SR 75 in ID by Galena Summit

and lonely US 20, west of Idaho Falls, ID

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Hey Dusty,,,,,,, this is a great shot. I didn't seem to get as nice a pic of that area. I try to explain it to folks as to how desilant it was when we were looking for a camp area.

We got real lucky ,,,,,,,,,eh.

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
post #23 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Alaska Highway, near Kluane Lake.....

Turnagin Arm, Alaska....

Somewhere in the Yukon, the Alaska Highway....

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Dusty,,,,,,, this is a great shot. I didn't seem to get as nice a pic of that area. I try to explain it to folks as to how desilant it was when we were looking for a camp area.

We got real lucky ,,,,,,,,,eh.

Yup, we sure were lucky to literally stumble upon that campsite after such a day as we had that day.

We broke camp at Snow Canyon State Park ....

.... rode into the St George area to resupply some grub and get you a water bladder to combat the heat and dry, desert climate, headed on up and checked out Cedar Breaks NM ....

riding past beautifulPanguitch Lake ....

before heading over and checking out the campsites/pee break,over by Red Canyon. .....

Then we headed up into Bryce Canyon NP and messed around with some of the 'local Wildlife'and took in some of the other sites there.....

We then headed up Scenic Byway UT 12(great road! ) towards Escalante .....

....to get fuel for both our bikes and our belly's, but if I remember right, we left hungry We continued on up SR 12 to Calf Creek Rec Area, ....

which was to be our campsite for the night, but it was full. I remember me almost dropping the bike whilecrossingthe creek, on that slime covered concrete 'spillway', that was submerged!

So, we headed on out, up along SR 12, past a couple of close encounters with some livestock on the road, hung a right at Torrey, on SR 24, towards the Campsite at Fruita,Capital Reef NP, which was my 'Back Up Plan "B"'

Well, when we got to the campgrounds at Fruita, they were all full and the office/visitor Centre was closed up. What to do now? ! ? ! ? Night was fast approaching and we were out of water and no place to sleep. Luckily, there was a water tap there and we filled up that 1 gallon water jug and headed further east, looking for a spot to 'Camp at Large'.

All the spots that gave access off of the road, were maybe manageable with a 4 Wheel Drive vehicle/ATV, but certainly not something to take a bike likeour Wings down. There was a threat of rain, as well and that would make for some serious problems trying to get our bikes out of what ever low laying wash was available for us to pull off the road.

Things were looking pretty bleak, with no campsites in the next few hours of riding, that I knew of. We had slowed right down at any likely looking spot, but upon further scrutiny, they were not a place to venture into.

Then, as we were pretty low on hope, we crested a rise and saw in the distance an area that was cleared, with a big oldbuilding, with the time faded, weather beatenwords "CAMPING" on it's roof,barely legible .

Dave and I pulled in, relieved that we found this 'Oasis', even though it looked deserted, with no signs of life, or even tracks around. I had already made up my mind that this would be 'home' for the night. Upon further exploration, we saw a sign by the front door with instructions to call this toll free number. We looked at each other, wondering where we would find a phone and even if we should bother. We both figured nobody had been around here for ages. Dave did some more snooping around and found a public telephone down the side of the building and called the number. He was informed to find a site and a fella was already on his way to register us. Seems they lived way off on the other side of the road and saw us pull in. We registered and were surprised as all get out, at the impeccably kept bathrooms/showers We got hurriedly set up and I'm thinking we made dinner, not having anything to eat since early morning. I think we heard about 3 cars and a pair of bikes go the rest of the night and early next morn. I believe the name of the campground was aptly named - Sleepy Hollow.

That how you remember it, Dave ?

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

Ken my friend,,,,,, you are a walking data bank . As I was reading your discription of our day,,,,, I kept saying to myself,,,,,"Oh yeah, now I remember".

I'd forgotten about running low on water,,,,, and I know now that southern Utah is not a place to be without water. Very grateful to have the bladder.

I love the way you discribe how we crested over the rise to see our "Oasis".

And yes,,,,,,, you have the name of it correct.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...p/100_4969.jpg

post #26 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Gorgeous photos of my favorite part of the country.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #27 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:
Gorgeous photos of my favorite part of the country.
Yes sir,,,,,,, Dusty sure does capture the scene.

And then we have CJ posting that dawg gown Alaska Highway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he knows how that torments me.,,,,,,,,,,,,but I still love it

post #28 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to winginitrick
Post imported post

wow, you guys really have the views! and taken the trips. i was in awe as i looked through all those beautiful pics! we have taken trips but they have all been either north to lake erie, south to florida, or east to north and south carolina. we have never been west. wow, really beautiful places. and i dont know how you maintain your "COOL" when youre looking for a place to stay, and everything is full, MAN, i would have freaked! just my nature i guess. and most of the trips that we go on, it always seems like we have a schedual, an itinerary if you will, and we have to be right here at this time, ya know? wow, i guess maybe my wife was right when she said quit worrying, just ride! and i said, no we have to have a non deveated schedual, motels, certain gas stops, eat times, pee times, lol. i thought we had to have a motel reservation for every nights stop. but heck, you guys just roll the dice and GO! i wonder, how many of you just said the heck with finding a motel or camp site, and just kept going, till the sun came up? man that would just freak me out! so i guess to wrap this up, thats why i dont have any pics of our trips cause we dont ever have time to stop! ill tell ya what though, as of this summer comming, that is going to change! thanks guys for showing me the light. keep on winginit rick

ALWAYS LET YOUR BACK DOOR MAN KNOW WHEN YOUR FRONT DOOR MAN IS COMMING HOME. RICKS WISDOM: GRAB LIFE BY THE THROTTLE AND DONT LOOK BACK.
post #29 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

Rick - Man ..... you're going to have to 'reprogram' yourself and relax while out touring. We experience enough 'rigidity' in our daily life/work schedule, so no need to carry that over while out on the road, enjoying the freedom that motorcycle touring offers!!

Drop the I gotta be "HERE" at a specific "TIME" mentality and go with what ever pace you want. See the country side ... smell the aromas that are offered up by the countryside you are currently riding through. If you see something that interests you, stop and check it out. The old saying I'll stop next time I'm through this way is just that - a saying and you never seem to get to go by that area again. If you don't stop then and there, you never will.
It's not all about the destination that makes for a memorable tour, but rather the 'journey' in getting there that is most likely going to stand out, years later.

As an example: During my tour down to NASSIR 2 this past summer, of my 29 days on the road, I had 2 dates that I had to keep. The 1st one was to hook up with Winger77 on Sept 11, at Snow Canyon SP and the 2nd was where we were both to meet with The Big Dog and family for a steak dinner, later that day(Thanks again, Dawson ) That meant that I had 11 days to get to Snow Canyon to meet up with someone I'd never met before. I would be riding through WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ and finally into southern Utah, to meet up with Dave. Although I had a route planned, I made several 'mid-course corrections', even backtracking and and heading west and north, but still managed to keep to the basic course/route that I had planned. As it turned out, both Dave and I arrived a day early, so we got to enjoy an extra day of exploring the area and getting to know one another. The only time that accommodations were a bit tough to find, was as described above and one other time while on a 11 daytour of the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier NPs. We had started looking for a campsite in Yellowstonetoo late in the day(no accommodations of any type in the park)and had to ride 30 miles to a great spot, just outside Yellowstone. It turned out to be THE PERFECT SPOT for a 3 day base camp. Things go the way they do, for a reason. I generally like to get an early start on the road(7-8:30) and am usually on the road for at least 8 hours, before I start looking to hold up for the night. Sometimes I'm out there for 12 hours, depending on the time of year and available daylight.

When I plan a tour, I do a lot of research! When I research routes, I look for a route that offers at least 3 things. Scenery, lack of traffic, probability of gas/food/accommodations(whether hosteling, or camping) and that it takes me in the general direction I want to go. As a general rule, I try to avoid Interstates as much as possible, preferring the quieter, quaint 2 lane blacktop that takes you through small towns. Much more relaxed and usually much more scenic. I alsocheck out 'alternative routes', in case I want to deviate from my original 'planned route', which happens from time to time.

I use Google Maps quite a bit for route planning.When I am planning a route out west, I make prodigioususe of their "Terrain" button, in the upper right portionof the map. They have Topographical lines shown, which denotes elevations. The closer those lines are together, the steeper and usually more visually stunning the area is, thatthe road you're interested in, takes you through. In an area you know nothing about, there are plenty of members here eager to share their knowledge of any particular area. Just ask and they will answer.

In a word, don't sweat the 'small stuff'. I've never had the need to make any kind of reservations while touring(except for the campground at NASSIR 2), just get out and ride and above all enjoy yourselves and all that is around you. Don't be a 'clock watcher'

Dusty

- just another Rider

post #30 of 865 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Rick: Red and I have been motorcycle touring since 1989. How many times have we not been able to find a campground or a motel? Once... on our very first tour! Second night out on the northCalifornia Coast, we couldn't find an open campground.... so I sent Red in anyway with those big brown eyes of hers..... "Mister, have you got just a teeny weeny little spot for my (notice she didn't say "our") teeny weeny tent?" The guyfound her (us) a place! Dusty's right...he's always right... get spontaneous and just go. Carrying camp gear makes you infinetely more flexible. You could always sleep in shifts at a rest area, even....! You just need to hitchhike into Bluefield, West Virginia with 17 cents in your pocket like I did bacl in 1963! Talk about flexible! That's a story...but I can't tell it on here!

:chee ky1:

Dusty, your photos are absolutely stunning: how do you get them so sharp, so saturated with color? Do you use a tripod? What's your secret, buddy? Teach me! Teach me! Please?

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page