Long, lonely stretches of highway. Let's see them. - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Hey Rick,,,,, everything that Dusty says is right on. And he is a true master of planning out a route. But it's really not all that hard.

My first big tour was last year (2008). Never been off the east coast myself. Made up my mind to see the West like I've always wanted. Like Dusty said,,,,, there are so many members here that are eager to share info of any area you might be interested in. I did the the "research" through here and google maps. Had me an itinerary for motels and campgrounds. Well,,,,,,, the plan was to head out on a Saturday morning. But when I got home from work that Friday, there was plenty of daylight left, and I knew I would not be able to sleep,,,,, just like a kid on Christmas eve.

I headed out at 5:30pm and that just blew the whole itinerary schedual out the window. I never saw any of those "planned" motels or camps. Sure,,,, I was a bit concerned of where I would end each day. But there is always a town of sort along the way. And to me (at least now) having camp gear with me,,,,,, I'm always covered.

It was, and still is,the best way to travel. No real particular place to be, except to follow my route to the places I wanted to see and ride. And it turned out to not only be a journey, but atrue "Adventure".

My trip to NASSIR-2 was only with the plans of seeing the Grand Canyon, meeting Dusty in Utah, and make it to NASSIR. Had my routes to follow,,,,, the rest,,,,,well,,,,,, I guess you could say I just "Winged it". I never even planned a route for home till the night before. And that turned out to be great also.

So do yourself a favor Rick,,,,,,,,,,,, pack the wing, and point her WEST, you'll be glad you did.Those Rocky Mountains will astound you.

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

Hey Mel,,,,,,,, your quick on the keyboard,,,,, got your post up before me.

You really need to ride behind Dusty to see how he gets his pics.

Here is a little clue of how he does it,,,,,,,,,, and mind you,,,,, we doing about 70 mph.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...p/100_5830.jpg

post #33 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
Dusty, your photos are absolutely stunning: how do you get them so sharp, so saturated with color? Do you use a tripod? What's your secret, buddy? Teach me! Teach me! Please?

I just point my little Point N Shoot camera at what interests me and shoot the picture, CJ.

Seriously, we've talked before about what camera I use while touring(you have almost the identical one) and the secret is ..... lighting .... and luck.

My little camera has IS(Image Stabilization) built into it. I don't use a tripod, as it's a bear to use that set-up while riding! Believe me when I tell you that even with that feature,(IS) I have lots of out of focus/blurry shots. I take many shots and am lucky to have a few that come out pretty good. Although I do have a tripod, I very seldom use it and don't bother taking it with me while riding. I will use a tripod for night shots of say, the moon during an eclipse, where any kind of movement is magnified at that extreme zoom and low exposure conditions. You'll notice a lot of my shots are taken from the saddle, while I'm riding, using one hand to get the 'shot', but other times, I let go of the bars with both hands(cruise control set)completely, to properly 'frame the shot' I want. Dave(Winger77) will attest to that fact.

Don't get hung up about how many megapixels it has. Anything over 4-5 megapixels is plenty enough. The more megapixels your camera is, the greater room on your media card it consumes for each shot, meaning you get less pictures on a 2 gig card with a 12 megapixel camera, than a camera with 6. Although my camera is 10 megapixel, I typically shoot with it set at 7. As you can see, at that size, the shots are clear, so anything more that that is really not needed by the average photographer. It's just 'marketing hype'.

Like I say, lighting is KEY! It is so important to convey mood and highlights. Morning and later afternoon are best to get a 'softer' image. When the sun is high, your landscape shots end up with harsh lighting. No 'shadows' to give the shot depth, the colours look 'bleached'

Another important feature I look for in a camera, is it's optical zoom(not to be confused with digital zoom) capabilities, for 'cropping' a scene/shot. Getting a camera with a high optical zoom, really requires IS to help keep the image blur free/focusedAlso, play around with some of the settings on the camera and check out the subtle and not so subtledifferences it makes.

Different exposure levels. Use lower(-) exposure settings on a bright/midday shot. Under lower light conditions, use more(+) exposure. Take multiple shots of the same subject, using different exposure settings and you'll soon learn what setting is right for the kind of shot you want to achieve. I guess in short what I'm trying to say about your camera, what ever type/level it is ... is get to 'know' your camera. Read the manual and experiment with it. The digitals are not like the old film cameras, where it was expensive and time consuming to do this with. With today's cameras, it's almost instant gratification and the 'learning cure' is not quite as steep in the old days.

When shopping for a new camera, read up about the camera that you think you'd like. There are online digital camera review sites and they describe the potential camera's strengths and weaknesses. Do your research and learn it's settings once you purchase it and that will pay off with better shots. I had a Nikon Coolpix Point N Shoot once that did great macro shots, but it's low power optical zoom left much to be desired, As soon as you hit the zoom, it's focus was terrible, so I ended up selling it to someone that understood it's weakness and wanted it mainly for it's macro capabilities and depth of field.

I ended up buying a nice Canon, but alas it was too big/bulky to extract it easily from it's case and my tank bag while riding. One thing I learned about cameras while backpacking is,if it is not easy to get out, it won't be coming out often and therefore not many pictures will be taken. Ease of access/use isa high priority, which is why I ended up with my little Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ10. It's not an expensive camera by any means, but it does a pretty good job.

If you are interested in seeing some more of my shots, look up my profile and check out my Flickr link. I have put a few of myshots in there

Cheers, Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

CJ,,,,,,,,, your shots of the Alaska Highway look good to me. Like Dusty says,,,,, it's a matter of taking many shots and sorting through them for the good ones ya get.

My first trip out west, I took 2,400 shots,,,, last trip (NASSIR-2) I took a little over 2,100 shots. Unlike Ken, I have my camera mounted with a RAM Mount on the clutch side. I end up with shots through my windshield, where Dusty just holds his over his shield.

I have a simple Kodak Easy Share with 7.1 mega pixel. And I didn't know till just now after reading Dusty's post, that there were different zoom features. Mine is Digital, Dusty's is Optical.
I will say, Ken does capture the colors and scenery like a pro. But I think I get some pretty good shots all the same.

Here is a shot through the shield while moving,,,(bugs and all )

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...100_4950-1.jpg

And here is a pic of some crazy guy standing near the edge of a cliff

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...p/100_4682.jpg

Another while moving approx. 50 mph with the camera turned to the right of me as I passed by,,,,,,

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...p/100_5256.jpg

post #35 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

If I'm taking a shot of something fairly close up and to the side of me while I'm riding, I set my camera on the 'sports scene' setting, which gives it a faster shutter speed, minimizing blur. Here's a shot I tookofa guy who put up with me for 8 - 9 days this past summer, while we were doing 55 mph. Turned out good enough that he uses it for his avatar. You can see his ram camera mount, that he uses for his shots.

If I use another scene setting, the shutter speed is slower, inducing more 'blur' and providing a 'softer' shot and the illusion of speed, although I was doing the posted 45 mph speed limit.

Sometimes, I will pull over to take a shot and to drink in the Grandeur of the scene, like these ones near Rogers Pass, in the Canadian Rockies ...

Back to the Subject - Long, lonesome highways

Here's what I 25, north ofCasper, WY looks like early in the morning

another lonesome WY highway, this time 14A, east ofLovell , approaching the Bighorn Mountains

... and of course you can't ride in Wyoming, without riding the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, between Cody WY and Cooke City MT ....

.... and the Beartooth Highway(US 212) which runs from Red Lodge MT, dips into northern WY, before crossing the state line again, ending at Cooke City, MT ....

Let's see some more, people!

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #36 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

Your right Ken,,,,,,,,,, back to the subject

I've crossed Kansas twice now. This time I took some routes off the beaten trail. Man that state is wide open & lonely.

Rt. 56,,,,,South of Dodge City

It was nice to see an occasional rock when I got to New Mexico. This isRt. 56/212 southwest of Clayton,NM.

Rt. 160 west,,,,,,, Leaving Ship Rock, New Mexico,,,,, nice cool morning.

Rt. 160 heading west toward Tuba City, Arizona,,,, now thats a big state.

Are Dusty Boots and myself the only ones with a camera while touring?

post #37 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

I can never remember which I've already posted or not......

Colorado National Monument:

more Colorado National Monument:

Idaho, on the way to Nassir 2:

Colorado, Grand Mesa, Nassir 2:

More Colorado, more Nassir 2!

You know, if you haven't seen America and Canada by motorcycle, you haven't seen them at all!

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #38 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Post imported post

Believe it or not, I-70 in Kansas!

Great pictures all!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kansastornado.jpg (314.2 KB, 450 views)

1995 Shadow Deluxe 600
1984 Nighthawk 700SC (Tragically Passed On)
1980 Goldwing GL1100

Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons,
For Thou Art Crunchy...
And Good with Ketchup!!!
post #39 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Oh, I believe that. Seen it with my own eyes, and Greensburg, KS is living proof.

~ John

post #40 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

As I crossed Kansas,,,,,,and knowing how it is very prone to those twisters, I didn't let no grass grow under the tires.

I would NOT want to see one like that. I wouldn't know what to do,,,,,, except maybe run for it like I did when stopping in Topeka in hopes to meet up with a couple members there. The sky turned very eary looking very quickly and I didn't waste time beating out of there going west on I-70.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page