Long, lonely stretches of highway. Let's see them. - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Lost on this *****

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 Aspy
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Winger77
Post imported post

Ok,,,,,,, I too am running low on pics with "long lonely highways" , but I managed to dig up a couple more just to keep this going

When I first saw this thread, the very first place that came to my mind was ,,,,Kansas. I said it once and I'll say it again,,,,,,, every state holds it's own beauty,,,,,,,,, but I have to admit,,,,,, Kansas rather,,,,um,,,,,drained me.

Rt. 156,,,just off I-70 going to Great Bend where I moteled for the night.

Next morning,,,,, Rt. 156 headed toward Garden City

Now I'm into Colorado and even though I was told it was part desert, I guess I was still expecting to see mountains. Gee,,,,,, was I fooling myself. But it was all beautiful. I took a great little road that lead into Walsenburg Co. ,,,,,,Rt. 10

Nice little road,,,,, absolutly no traffic,,,,,, then I run into this curtain

Then I came up on this pickup with a small trailer, and I had to stay close enough to see it in case it stopped or turned,,,,, it was also use as a guide. That fog got so thick I was looking around the shield, and I could hardly see the sides of the road.

Then as we crested a knoll, it was like the curtain was drawn open again. And when I saw this, I thought, oh good,,,town must be around the bend.

But it wasn't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and it's those little bits, that turns a journey into an "Adventure"

The things I liked,,,,I\'ve tried em twice!
You have to be a little Crazy,,,,,, or else you\'ll go Insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I love it! ...... Great story and photos, Dave !

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #63 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Yeah.... I'm starting to run down, also........ For some reason, I like the prairie states.... Kansas, Nebraska..... feel small and alive out there, for sure!

Scott's Bluff, Nebraska, off the old Oregon Trail.......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC trip, 2009 2 044.jpg (69.0 KB, 337 views)

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

I remember runningUS 26, from Ogallala, up through Scotts Bluff, on over to I 25 and up to Casper WY. On the way up 26, I must have met 8 trains, each pulling at least100 cars,loaded down with coal and each and every one of them tooted the horn and waved at me.

Here's Hwy 97, that runs past my old place in BC, cept this section was just north of the CA. border, in OR. That's Mt. Shasta

Here'sSR 89, in Lassen Volcanic NP, CA. ....

This is a secondary road in CA., called the Gold Lake Hwy, running from Graeagle, to Bassets Station, near Sierra City, on CA SR 49. That's the start of the Sierra Crest that you see in the background.

This next road is probably the twistiest road I've ever been on. It is way better than the Dragon, down at Deals Gap.

This road has everything a motorcyclist could wish for. Some long straights, lots of sweepers, a section of dips where I got the Ole Girl airborne andbesides the wicked twisty section(where I left the other bike a couple of corners behind me and ground off my Gremlin Bell in the process), ends up among the Giant Coastal Redwoods. There is 1 gas station in those140 miles and there must have been 40 sport bikers gathered there, as this road is very popular among that crowd.

This is SR 36, running between Red Bluff, located in the semi-aridSacromento Valleyand through/over the Coastal Range, to the damper climes of Fortuna, CA ....

sorry, .... no pictures of the middle section, as I was too busy holding on with both hands on the bars.

Here is a shot, riding through the Giant Coastal Redwoods .....

and our home for2 nights, alongside the Van Duzen River, not far from Fortuna, CA ....

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to winginitrick
Post imported post

wow, dusty, cuz and winger, you guys really know how to do it up right! those pics are beautiful. and those storms, and that fog, dayum! that would have put an end to me right there! i would have died of a heart attach right there! no not really, im a little tougher than that! when my wife and i did the blue ridge parkway, it was VERY foggy up there too a couple days. i had my emer. flashers on, and all my lights too, to keep from getting rear ended. we stopped and got pics and video up there, but they are all on prints, not here on the computer. and yes, i had a motel for each day, for two weeks, from start to finish, reserved. ended up in cherokee north carolina in that motel right across the street from the BIG BOY restaurant. im sure you all know that one! lol well thats all i got to say about that, so ill just say, beautiful pics and stories! keep on rick

ALWAYS LET YOUR BACK DOOR MAN KNOW WHEN YOUR FRONT DOOR MAN IS COMMING HOME. RICKS WISDOM: GRAB LIFE BY THE THROTTLE AND DONT LOOK BACK.
post #66 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Model: 2006 1800
Post imported post

Humboldt County off 101 CA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vacation 9-08 Ranch, Coast, Bud & Fran 096,680.jpg (134.0 KB, 314 views)

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #67 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

Now there's something on the ole "to do" list,,,,,,, to be able to stand at the base of a giant redwood. I think that is awesome,,,,,,

post #68 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

You have to experience them 1st hand to fathom the size of them, Dave!

- just another Rider

post #69 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Lost on this *****

Garage
Post imported post

I hear ya Ken,,,,, maybe sometime in the future,,,,, who knows,,,,,, I can get a bit spontaneous at times

post #70 of 889 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Just another ORF!

Garage
Post imported post

I hear you as well, Dave. .... afterall, .... that's how I ended up on the CA coast, camping amongst and seeingthose beautiful specimens, up close and personal like

Here's a shot where I tried to capture as much as possible, of one of the 'smaller ones', just by my tent .....

- just another Rider

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page