Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

I am looking for tips on finding cheap or free camping sites...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 AM

Model: 83 GL 1100 I
Garage
Post imported post

SORRY , but i missed the question

1979 gl1000 dressed --back to naked
1980 gl1100 interstate --side lined
1983 gl1100 interstate the fastest color--RED
retired trucker---going to see it again ----on 2 wheels---love it--love it

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

This thread got submitted twice, so I emptied one. Looks like a mod tried to help by deleting one, but got the one with the question...

I am looking for tips on finding cheap or free camping sites...

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Oops, sorry about that, I unmoded the first post

~ John

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to AspectOne
Post imported post

Bro, I had the great idea that I could travel cheaper and farther by tent camping.... unfortunately what I learned is that while it can be cheaper if you stay at the right location, it is only a night or two that makes it cheap and what you have to do to make up for what you loose negates your savings.

Example, National Forest lands allow you to camp off road or off trail at "unimproved" areas for free, but if you do this you have to travel to get water and facilities such as a shower or bathroom. Camping inside rec areas with facilities can cost between 15 to 30 dollars depending on where you are and how much "service" you want.

State parks vary greatly, many charge upwards of 15 to 25 dollars to camp now, and sometimes more... your local KOA on the other hand has nice facilities and sometimes a pool for between 22 and 30 a night.

Most areas I travel through and a cheaper motel, for example Dave0430 and I were able on our trip (through NM and back to AR) to find a motel 6 at 29.95 and so the price difference hardly made it worth the sacrifice in comfort of tenting it.

If how ever you are determined to camp it out, remember you can camp on FEDERAL lands FREE if you choose and unimproved site... for example, you can simply use any turn off from the road in a National Forest and set up camp for the night. No fee is needed.

This is why I am saving my money for a tear drop to pull behind my bike... when at a destination per se' I can camp with it and use electricity, water etc and even have heat or air if I want at a reasonable fee... if I am not at a destination and need to get a nights sleep and Walmart nation wide will allow you to park over night on their lot for free so traveling with a tear drop means I can stop at rest areas, Walmarts, malls etc when |I get tired an simply crawl n bed for some zzz's.

Hope this is helpful.

A1

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to AspectOne
Post imported post

http://www.boondocking.org/

http://freecampsites.net/

You may also find this helpful/

A1

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

I am only thinking one night...

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

Thanks!

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Garage
Post imported post

hey, how bout I sprinkle some whiskey on me, and go to the mission. Get a cot, and a bowl of soup! lol

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

A1 brings up some valid points ......... however

if you are an avid backpacker, you will/should have the equipment in your 'stash of gear' that eliminates the 'downsides' that A1 brings up. Only scenario that would present a problem for a camp site of longer than a day, would be no water source.

If you are wanting to just travel light, fastand cheap, you can always pull off in a small wooded section of land/pasture around dusk and 'Stealth Camp', using just a tarp and you pad/bag. You're up before/by dawn and on your way, leaving no trace of your 'bivouac'. Rest stops provide a chance to 'clean up' and cook a meal, if nothing else presents itself. Sort of like backpacking, except you have a bike to propel you and take the weight off of your shoulders

Yeah .... it can be done cheap, just don't expect 'all the amenities'!

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page