kitchen refresh: in what sequence would you do these things? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
New Guy

Post imported post

folks,

(i hope this isn't too "miscellaneous" or "off topic" but...)

the 35 year old kitchen in our 60 year old home is in need of a refresh - floor (currently linoleum), counters (currently tile), cabinets (painted wood) (gas) 4 burner cooktop in island and gas wall oven - and my sense is many forum members have done this and have some experiences / feedback to offer.

kitchen basics are: kitchen is 20'x16', island is 3'x9', 4 burner cooktop @ one end.

we're not interested in remodeling the kitchen in to a designer's dream - this is very much a middle class home with a "working kitchen" - we make ~50 cases of jams / jellies from our trees each year and process 15-20 gallons of honey. we'd like to replace the flooring material, counter tops and perhaps reface / re-door the cabinets. (fwiw, we intend to remain in our home for another 2 years or so, then move.)

given your personal experiences, which would you do first: counter tops, floors or cabinets?

reason i'm asking is concern re possible damage to just-completed task during later stage work.

thx in advance for any / all feedback.
hal

Education is never as expensive as ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to djones3706 Send a message via MSN to djones3706
Post imported post

Simple, remember things fall down. Start at top and work down.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Slow Learner

Model: 93 Aspy
Garage
Post imported post

djones3706 wrote:
Quote:
Exactly.

ONCE A RHINO ALWAYS A RHINO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

True enough, things fall down, but before I would get too involved If it were me, I would pull that linoleum, check the flooring beneath it....If its concrete, then a fine coat of concrete leveling might take care of any imperfections in it, then put in a new tile floor......Counter tops can be as simple as going to Lowes, or Home depot and buying premade counter tops...Easy to install....Comes in a "Butcher Block" look, and several new ones I hadn't seen before.... Granite is high dollar.....

I was talking to a chef a few days back and somehow the subject of stoves came up.... She made the comment that gas stoves and ovens were the only stoves or ovens she would have in her kitchen...With that said again stoves and ovens can be bought very reasonable, Again Lowes or Home depot....Then too they can break the piggy bank.....

Now we looked at this cabinet unit at Lowes, you could have blown me over with a feather....$9,000.00...........But without losing and inch it would have bolted straight into my kitchen and WOW!!!!!..Paint stripper is a must, and lots of it....Bad thing about redoing cabinet doors is hardware....Some is mounted on the outside some on the inside, as in hidden hinges.....If you do make new doors, you might have to go back with that "Antique Look" hardware......

In order of doing this project, Cabinets first, then counter tops, and last the flooring....Too bad you don't live closer...Home remodeling is what I did for about 12 years.....

Claude......

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
New Guy

Post imported post

thx for the feedback thus far, much appreciated... so far i'm gettin': cabinets, counters, floors.

thx again.
hal

Education is never as expensive as ignorance.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Post imported post

In my remodeling experience, I would start with the cabinets. If you want to sell in a few years and not live there for the next 30, then refacing/ redooring the cabinets would be your best bet. Painted wood can be stubbern to work with. If you can resurface with a natural or light/medium stained wood surface, you should be OK. Pay someone to do it if you do not have the experience.

Countertops next after the cabinets are done unless the countertops are worse off than the cabinets. It now would be the time to add or subtract any cabinetry that you want to in the effort to expand your kitchen area or adversely open it up.
Finally, do your floor. If you can afford it, go with tile flooring. If not, go with a good heavy congoleum or lininoleum (SP) tile. NO peal and stick squares! You might have to spend extra money to clean up the old tile on the floor before you put down new.

If your market in California is competitive, go look at several houses for sale in your neighborhood. Get some appointments with a realtor and go look at other people's houses for sale and see what they have done with their kitchens and then go with what your budget and desires will allow. Ask to look at houses that have the same square footage, bedrooms, bathrooms, ect. You then can see what your house might sell for.

How about appliances?? Light fixtures? Sink and faucet? You might want to consider them too. It is all in the details. The kitchen and bathrooms are some of the most profitable return items on remodels if you do them right.

PM me if you would like some more advice. I have done a few remodels and have a good background in construction trades. I will be glad to help.

Everrett Prostrollo
1977 Honda Goldwing modified to
a 1990 Tri-Sport configuration
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM

Post imported post

Also, as a precaution, if you didn't already know, If you go with a contractor to do your work, Get more than one estimate, check their references and the Better Business Bereau, make sure that all permits with the city/county are used, make sure that work is inspected by city/county, and NEVER, EVER give the contractor all the money for the job before it is finished or UP FRONT. Give it out in stages based on levels of project completion.

Everrett Prostrollo
1977 Honda Goldwing modified to
a 1990 Tri-Sport configuration
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Post imported post

djones3706 wrote:
Quote:
+1
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Post imported post

Pretty much what has been said.

But consider the fact that any money you put into it you will not recover. But also it has to look nice to sell . Kitchens and baths and the entry of the home sell the home. So it is a balance of what has to be done, to sell , but still keep it economical as you will not recover it.

Cabinets, tear the doors off and repaint the base cabinets with a decent oil paint. Then install new doors and hardware.

Those old tile counter tops, tear them out. Put new plywood on the top of the existing top surface and resurface with good quality formica products. It comes in all colors and designs and makes a very nice and economical counter top. Looks nice too. Put in a new kitchen sink and a nice high goose neck sink faucet. The women like those. !!!!

New appliances for looks more than anything, old appliances simply kill a new kitchen.

Then a good floor covering of your choice.

Now doll it up. Paint the walls (before the floor cover) then use wall paper in some way to make the room nice. Either borders or maybe half the wall paint and half wall paper.

Put some fancy light fixtures in the room too.

Keep your colors neutral. Nothing outlandish and bright. More neutral to suit all.

Some kind of molding and chair rail ran around the room also dolls it up and is cheap to do.

Hope this helps.

A good place if you have time to match and put together is to go to Lowes once a day and look at their damaged appliances. Some are not very damaged, or were returned for missing parts or some other malfunction. There is a place in every store where they put them back up for sale at sometimes a real good deal. You can pick up appliances there lots of times at about half price.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to djones3706 Send a message via MSN to djones3706
Post imported post

I installed flooring for too many years. From my experience, A Nice looking kitchen will do wonders when trying to sell a house.(Men look at garages, women look at kitchens) Have you tried arguing with a woman. I agree with Kit. Make things look nice and try to do things on the cheap; without looking cheap. A cheap vinyl floor looks as good as an expensive one. (It just doesn't last as long) First impression is very important, when trying to sell a house. If you are sure you are going to sell just compare cost too house appeal. Another thing to keep in mind light colors and the correct patterns will make a room look larger, mirrors in the correct location will also help.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page