Despite the image... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a motorcycle that is a couple of decades old and another at least three decades. I'm having fun watching the hard core Harley guy I sold my Wing to learn to love the thing... I have a wing and I love it. I think he's begiing to see it for what it is........

I think we have another convert......

My buddy has converted to wingology. From Harliyology to a goldwing in one move. Thanks to me and my 1000 going to him..

I sold Willy my '79 because my big brother gave me his beautiful '84 standard. I offically had too many bikes. I gave up two in order to get this one.

It's a strong running '84 standard. Feels good between my legs. 2000 miles on it thus far.

Call me a purist...

We shouldn't have windshields either. That's what they make goggles for.

84 Standard. Fairly bone stock
The Kitchen Bike. Still on the drawing board.

Motorcycle building and machinery forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Post imported post

I was with ya right up to the windsheild part used to have that very oppinion but now We are spoiled and you can't pry it away.

Happier then a slinky on an escalator.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Guru

Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

Sounds like you made Willy a happy man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Post imported post

TominDallas wrote:
Quote:
We shouldn't have windshields either. That's what they make goggles for.
Sorry. Strongly disagree...I've never met a bug that tastes good...

(Except...maybe those chocolate-covered grasshoppers...but try & find THOSE out on the road... )

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

Hmmmm...

I thought this was going to be a post about Goldwings breaking down!

I have a '73 Ironhead Sportster that I am going to be putting back together (one of these days), but if I love the GL1000 as much as I think I will, i may just put the Sporty up on a charity auction!

I really didn't want to use it for long trips anyway. (Too many parts to pick up! Plus they aren't the smoothest running engine!)

Glad you made a convert!

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

To have a windshield or not to have one.....I as a teenager had several old Cushmans, 65mph was straining it hard, even with sprocket changes....Some buddies of mine and I had gone to the beach to "check out the girls", back then Mom and dad went with them, so we decided to come home.....I'm running 55mph and a Rhinoceros beetle decided to cross the road.....It hit me between the eyes, I still have a scar there, me and that Cushman went into the ditch on the side of the road...It was half filled with water!!!!!......Everyone came back stopped drug me and my scooter out of that ditch, that beetle was still alive beating my face with his wings....My buddies pulled it off and it lived to another day.....But after that incident I bought a handle bar mounted windshield, since then I have only had two other bikes without windshields....One BSA 650 Lighting, that a flock of grasshoppers flew in front of me, Yes I had on goggles that time, saved my eyes, dug grasshoppers out of my jacket for days after....The second one was a 550 Suzuki, my wife on the back, and we spooked a flock of birds feeding on some rice dropped on the side of the road....I thought that one bird that hit me in the chest had stopped my heart, knocked the wind out of me...Got it stopped safely, we had bird poop all over us...Nasty!!!!!

So riding without a windshield for me, is not an option....A few more reasons I have in agreement for having a windshield....People driving down the road think that the highways are a city dump, and they throw trash out of the windows of their vehicles.......Everything from cigarettes to pop cans and bags full of Mc Donalds trash....So OK you are a "purist", If you don't want a Full height windshield, cut it down some...I have seen 2x4's and scrap pieces of all sizes of lumber fly off trailers, out of pick up beds and my thoughts are this...Depending on the length of that scrap lumber, a windshield Might defect it enough to save your life, and if its too large for the windshield to defect, and that windshield just brunt the blow, then you might live to ride another day, maybe not....

No one can tell you to have one and it's totally your decision in the long run....I will say only this Ride Safe......Watch out for those around you throwing trash out on you....

Claude.....

BTW: Congrats on "converting" Willy, I wish him miles and miles of smiles....That 84 sounds like a great deal too.....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

Never had a windscreen on a motorcycle when I was a young man.

Problem is, I ain't young no more!

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page