Scam or no scam ?? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I've posted up ads on various websites to sell my 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa. I got an email showing interest in the vehicle so I sent a quick reply indicating my bottom line and with some additional pictures. I got the following reply . . .

"Thanks for the swift response,well I have checked the pics again on the site everything about the car including the price is okay by me, and I am ready to seal the deal ASAP as I am buying it for my Dad , He needs a better ride but I wouldn't make him aware of this until the car gets delivered to him so this is a surprise for him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car , I am a marine engineer and I am at sea at the moment and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but I squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. , ...Well my method of payment would be through PayPal cos I don't have access to my bank account online as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account, as I have my bank a/c attached to it, I will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price along with it so I can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to <link to PayPal website> and get it set up, after you have set it up I will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after I have made the payments
Thanks......"

To which I replied (buying some time and messing around a bit) . . .

"I'm not sure this is the right car for your dad. Can he handle 400 RWHP and would he want to deal with that as a daily driver? Perhaps someone that knows your dad should come and have a look at it - maybe take it out for a test drive to determine if it is suitable."

Haven't heard back as yet but I have some concerns. If he PayPals the money to me, how am I getting scammed? A second thought was to tell him/her to PayPal his 'pick up agent' the money and have him/her bring the cash when they pick up the vehicle.

Anyone seen a scam like this before? I can see scamming when selling a vehicle - but buying one and using PayPal seems a bit out of the box. I'm fully willing to mess with this guy's head if it is a scam - I'll have some fun with it

Comments welcome folks!!

Miles
Double darksiding on my newly triked ride!

Remember, while you are the oldest you have ever been, you are also the youngest you will ever be - and it\'s all running out pretty fast so make the most of what\'s left!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM

Post imported post

SCAM

When you go to the link he has posted for Pay-Pal you will probably get a bogus address that may look like Pay-Pal but probably is not.You will be asked to set up your account. You will probably then be asked for a Credit Card and/or Bank Account for him to send the money into. If you give him either YOU LOSE. They will make, or attempt to make, unauthorized deductions from whatever account you give them. I don't know how much protection you get from Pay-Pal but Iwouldn't want to risk it with this guy.

If you like, you can 'mess with his head' but I definitely would not give him anyinformation with Bank Account, Credit Card, SS, etc info!

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Model: Goldwing
Post imported post

So ask him the name of his ship and search for that???I dunno ??

this sounds better than most scams. I'd say send a deposit to your paypal account( set one up just for this don't link to anything!!!

and then say I'll hold until funds clear then accept the full amount??/

there are scams that buy and after the vehicle is gone paypal back charges you cuz the funds were not there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Every time I have seen a scam from Craigslist, they all appeared to be legit, and then the BS hit the fan.

My gut feeling is that it is a scam. Run-on sentence and spelling always seems to be the tell-tale. Cash in hand is the way I would do the deal.

Brian
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

A marine engineer deployed at sea...ALERT #1.

Restricted access to phone and internet but he found the ad and E-Mailed you about it...ALERT #2

Wants to work through a 3rd party...Alert 3#

I would just tell the guy there are so many scams out there that you will only deal with cash in hand, face to face.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Post imported post

The link is good. ► I think it's BS though.

Set-up a new PayPal account for the transaction... see what happens.

You got nothing to loose by doing that.

If he comes back with some story of it not working for him somehow, and now he needs to do a wire transfer directly to your bank account, then put him on your block list and be done with it.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

If you already have a Paypal account, and he sends the money, then you have his money!

If you don't have a Paypal, you can set up a legitimate one without using his link. Then you can't be scammed once the money is transferred to your bank.

You would be in the position of scamming him because you would have his money, and he wouldn't have anything.

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

All good thoughts folks - but no response to my last reply to him yet. I'll keep you posted.

And no - I would not release banking or credit card information.

I might send him a Request for Payment through my PayPal account and see what happens - dependent on his next reply - if one comes back.

Miles

Remember, while you are the oldest you have ever been, you are also the youngest you will ever be - and it\'s all running out pretty fast so make the most of what\'s left!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Model: Goldwing
Post imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Quote:
All good thoughts folks - but no response to my last reply to him yet. I'll keep you posted.

And no - I would not release banking or credit card information.

I might send him a Request for Payment through my PayPal account and see what happens - dependent on his next reply - if one comes back.
Nope don't do that!

asI said above set up a new paypal just for this

And if he follows thru you can transfer funds after the fundsclear Do not use your current paypal Thats what scammers look for!!!!!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

cc - he has my email address and that is the one I use for PayPal so if he wanted to try and hack it he could. Actually, hackers could use any email addy on PP and try to hack it. I suspect there is more to this than just getting a PP account name.

Still no reply to my last reply - maybe he does have LIMITED access to internet on the boat.

Miles

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page